Pirates Ticket Revenue

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Arrowreb

Pirates Ticket Revenue

Post by Arrowreb »

Please shoot holes in this projection. I believe I first saw this on DK's website, but maybe elsewhere.

Pirates average attendance per game down - 4,481

Average Ticket Price = $76.07 per Forbes

Potential Lost Ticket revenue over 2017 season = $27.6 million !!!

If that bears out to be true, you can bet there will be some form of fire sale! Pirates won't be able to afford a $100 million payroll in 2018, probably closer to $80 million.

Oh how I hope this is way wrong. :-X
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Pirates Ticket Revenue

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

The average ticket price is $76?

The whole upper level is $19 or $26 depending on weekday vs weekend (Friday and Saturday are different than Sunday). Lower level is $35, $48, or $58. Right Field is $22, $26, or $31. Home plat Box is $38, $50, or $60.

Club Level and Lexus Club aren't listed on the Pirates website. You have to call for those tickets. But I do think the Club Level is around $55. I have sat there a few times this year.

Then you have that Standing Room deal for $29 a month. If you go to two games, you won that deal as Standing Room is around $20.

My ticket stub from last year says the Suite Ticket is $92. Only the Suite Tickets and Lexus Club would be over that $76 price. How did that average price come about?
SammyKhalifa

Pirates Ticket Revenue

Post by SammyKhalifa »

lexus club is ~$200. My brother's work gets them sometimes and he took me to a game at the beginning of the year.
johnfluharty

Pirates Ticket Revenue

Post by johnfluharty »

6A61696560617A3F394E776F666161206D610E0 wrote: The average ticket price is $76?

The whole upper level is $19 or $26 depending on weekday vs weekend (Friday and Saturday are different than Sunday).  Lower level is $35, $48, or $58.  Right Field is $22, $26, or $31.  Home plat Box is $38, $50, or $60. 

Club Level and Lexus Club aren't listed on the Pirates website.  You have to call for those tickets.  But I do think the Club Level is around $55.  I have sat there a few times this year.

Then you have that Standing Room deal for $29 a month.  If you go to two games, you won that deal as Standing Room is around $20. 

My ticket stub from last year says the Suite Ticket is $92.  Only the Suite Tickets and Lexus Club would be over that $76 price.  How did that average price come about?

Like much of the stuff Forbes comes up with related to baseball, they provide no backing whatsoever, and this especially seems likely pure fantasy to me.  According to this, only 6 teams charge more than the Pirates on average.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozania ... 4b5af2294a

Huffington Post article on this topic in which they actually explain their numbers in detail:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/gobanking ... 13010.html
SammyKhalifa

Pirates Ticket Revenue

Post by SammyKhalifa »

585D5A5C545E475A5340464B320 wrote:

Like much of the stuff Forbes comes up with related to baseball, they provide no backing whatsoever, and this especially seems likely pure fantasy to me.  According to this, only 6 teams charge more than the Pirates on average.

Yeah and it says that one of them is Cincinnati.

Now I do wonder how they include the "Variable Pricing" for different games or whatever. I know that you couldn't get into opening day for less than 50 bucks.
SammyKhalifa

Pirates Ticket Revenue

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I also note the phrase in the Forbes article, "on the secondary market." So either way that's not the price that the team is getting. I wonder what the heck kind of secondary market they're talking about though.
PirateGold

Pirates Ticket Revenue

Post by PirateGold »

1A2929342C293E395B0 wrote: Please shoot holes in this projection.  I believe I first saw this on DK's website, but maybe elsewhere.

Pirates average attendance per game down - 4,481

Average Ticket Price = $76.07 per Forbes

Potential Lost Ticket revenue over 2017 season =  $27.6 million !!!

If that bears out to be true, you can bet there will be some form of fire sale!  Pirates won't be able to afford a $100 million payroll in 2018, probably closer to $80 million.

Oh how I hope this is way wrong.   :-X
I think that is too high in terms of potential lost revenue. But the number is still big.

Looking at the Fan Cost Index from 2016, which includes four tickets, two adult beverages, four soft drinks, four hot dogs, two programs and two caps plus parking, the Pirates FCI in 2016 was $195.84, which is below league average.

So, taking the decline of 4,481 per game and dividing that by four and then multiplying by $200, you are looking at a revenue decrease of about $225,000 per game/$18 million annually. That's a rough estimate, obviously, as I'm assuming that every one of those ~4,400 people spend the same amount of money.

A different study - from gobankingrates - that I found, also from 2016 and also factoring in food, etc., shows the total cost for 2 people to attend a game at PNC was $62.43. That works out to about $11.5 million annually.

I'm not an expert on ballpark finances - so I'm admitting I could be wrong here - but I don't believe the Pirates get to keep all of that as some of that goes to Aramark and vendors and some of it goes to visiting clubs.
johnfluharty

Pirates Ticket Revenue

Post by johnfluharty »

Including the food also raises the question of how much they really make on concessions. One would think the margin there would be a lot lower than for ticket sales.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Pirates Ticket Revenue

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

487A76766250737A77727D7A1B0 wrote: I also note the phrase in the Forbes article, "on the secondary market."  So either way that's not the price that the team is getting.  I wonder what the heck kind of secondary market they're talking about though. 

I assume Stub Hub, Seat Geek, MLB At Bat and many other apps that are out there are "secondary market".

Attendance is down. It was down last year. They are losing money for sure compared to last year and two years ago. I just question that $76 average price. I always thought the Pirates were one of the cheapest tickets in all of baseball. $76 is not cheap to me.
SammyKhalifa

Pirates Ticket Revenue

Post by SammyKhalifa »

417863706574567E7D75110 wrote:

I think that is too high in terms of potential lost revenue. But the number is still big.

Looking at the Fan Cost Index from 2016, which includes four tickets, two adult beverages, four soft drinks, four hot dogs, two programs and two caps plus parking, the Pirates FCI in 2016 was $195.84, which is below league average.

So, taking the decline of 4,481 per game and dividing that by four and then multiplying by $200, you are looking at a revenue decrease of about $225,000 per game/$18 million annually. That's a rough estimate, obviously, as I'm assuming that every one of those ~4,400 people spend the same amount of money.

A different study - from gobankingrates - that I found, also from 2016 and also factoring in food, etc., shows the total cost for 2 people to attend a game at PNC was $62.43. That works out to about $11.5 million annually.

I'm not an expert on ballpark finances - so I'm admitting I could be wrong here - but I don't believe the Pirates get to keep all of that as some of that goes to Aramark and vendors and some of it goes to visiting clubs.

But prices are also higher--not compared to last year but previous years when attendance was also lower.  I know that the seats where my old partial ST were have more than doubled.  Still, I'm sure they're still losing money--or (edit) making less money from tickets than previous few seasons (please put the pitchforks down haha).