So did he or didn't he....

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

Someone told me, on Friday, that Neal told MLB Network (Buster O maybe) that the Pirates are set to retain both Cole and Cutch and believe in "next year".

Stunning if true. The implications are huge.

Anybody hear Neal speak about this? I can't find anything through Google.
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

I don't see why it would be stunning.  I'd certainly be listening on McCutchen, but their best chance in the next few years might be to have everything go right for a season with a rotation anchored by Cole, Taillon, and Nova.  Any trades would have to yield a future that's better than that.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

6661777F7166212D547379757D783A777B79140 wrote: Someone told me, on Friday, that Neal told MLB Network (Buster O maybe) that the Pirates are set to retain both Cole and Cutch and believe in "next year".

Stunning if true.  The implications are huge.

Anybody hear Neal speak about this?  I can't find anything through Google.

All the same nonsense we've been hearing from him forever is right here:

http://www.gammonsdaily.com/peter-gammo ... tar-break/

"There’s no reason we can’t be better with Cole and McCutchen going into next year. Our goal is to maintain a level of competitiveness every year, and not to have to jump back and build all over again."

"We think we can be serious contenders next year, the way (Jameson) Taillon, (Ivan) Nova and (Tyler) Glasnow can develop, especially with Gerrit at the front, as well as three or four other good young pitchers."

Here you go!!!!

It's all about next year!!!! It's amazing how that happens isn't it?!?!?! it's always about that next year...because that's gonna be the one where the same lame team miraculously becomes great!!!!!

We'll get more Max Moroff!!!! And Daniel Hudson!!!!!! And Antonio Bastardo!!!!!  What team that's serious about winning wouldn't have Antonio Bastardo serving up meatballs!!!!

And I'm glad to hear that Neal is excited about Tyler Glasnow!!!! Who wouldn't be?!?!?!? I mean, he's tall right?!?!?!?! So, he's gonna be Randy Johnson!!!!!!! He's been so successful so far!!!!

And Polanco!!!!!!! Neal was smart enough to lock him up before he got expensive!!!! Next year will be his big year!!!!! Why wouldn't it be?!?!?!? It was supposed to be this year, but since it didn't happen, it'll definitely be next year!!!!!!!

Oh and that giant sound you all heard over the last few weeks? That was the sound of Adam Frazier crashing back down to earth showing us he's a minor leaguer in a major league uniform!!!!

But no panic from Neal!!!!! When you aren't held accountable for failing and you get paid millions of dollars to do it, why would he be feeling any pressure!!!!!

All is good in the land of Neal!!!! Huntington jerseys are the hottest ticket item over on PiratesProspects.com!!!!!! Get your's today!!!!!!!!

Next year!!!!!!!!

Oh, and if we suck again next year....no big deal!!!!!! There's always 2019!!!!!!!!

Only a few more years until Kevin Kramernewman gets the call to the big leagues!!!!  Dmetz will be there because he knows this team is just one piece away from contending!!!!! Maybe it's Kramernewman!!!!!!!

Or is it Newmankramer?!?!?!?!?!?!?
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

665549484B437548534F5453424E49270 wrote: I don't see why it would be stunning.  I'd certainly be listening on McCutchen, but their best chance in the next few years might be to have everything go right for a season with a rotation anchored by Cole, Taillon, and Nova.  Any trades would have to yield a future that's better than that.
Scouts are scouring the minors for the next Locke, Morton or Tabata. ;)
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

3334222A2433747801262C20282D6F222E2C410 wrote: Someone told me, on Friday, that Neal told MLB Network (Buster O maybe) that the Pirates are set to retain both Cole and Cutch and believe in "next year".

Stunning if true.  The implications are huge.

Anybody hear Neal speak about this?  I can't find anything through Google.

I don't think it is surprising as both will still be relatively cheap next year. The thing that would be surprising is that the Bucs make a move to increase talent this off season (or at deadline this year) to add to next year's team.
Docjon49

Post by Docjon49 »

Trading Cole now would be selling low. Teams trading for pitchers at the trade deadline want performance NOW, and he's not giving it. Might as well keep him and get him back to form, get him to find that potential.

I'm up in the air on Cutch. I think his knees are gonna get worse. Anyone signing him for 5 years will end up with a DH or 1st baseman. If someone badly needs an outfielder at the deadline, there will never be a better time to get great value in return. OTOH, he's a great cushion for Meadows. If (big if) Cutch continues to swing the bat, he'll get a good (not great) return next year at the deadline, and maybe Meadows can step right in.
mouse

Post by mouse »

I don't see them trading Cole. I do see them trading Cutch. I suspect the situation with him this year (after the failed attempt at a trade last year) has been uncomfortable at best. I also suspect he won't be any better next year than he is this year, and Cutch with a year option is worth more than Cutch as a two-month rental. But if you think NH should keep Cutch, one positive is that the Pirates have the reputation of being hard to deal with. Apparently, NH's desire to get yet more was what made last year's deal with the Nats fall through. So who knows, if he wants too much, we may see Cutch in the Bucco's uniform next year.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Good.

I want to keep both and build. Not sure why people don't take the loss of Marte and Kang more serously? That was huge. No doubt in my mind they would be in first place with those two.

Glasnow, Bell, Taillon, Polanco should all improve. Still need some pitching (bullpen). I would soft sell. I hope that happens.
Tintin

Post by Tintin »

4348404C4948531610675E464F4848094448270 wrote: Good.

I want to keep both and build. Not sure why people don't take the loss of Marte and Kang more serously? That was huge. No doubt in my mind they would be in first place with those two.

Glasnow, Bell, Taillon, Polanco should all improve. Still need some pitching (bullpen). I would soft sell. I hope that happens.

I want them both Cutch and Cole trade....for a freakin' kings ransom.

If not, let's try again in the offseason.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

If they go minor deals, Ithink both Jaso and David Freese could be interesting to a number of teams.