Half Way Point

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Half Way Point

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

The Pirates are 42-47 at the All Star break with 73 games remaining and 44 against divisional rivals. Sadly, they are still in reach of the division.

They are 7-5 against the Cubs, 4-3 against the Brewers, 2-4 against the Cardinals, and 1-6 against the Reds (14-18 overall).

Only four of us predicted a losing season this year. Of course, that was before the Kang and Marte situations.

I thought the Pirates would be at .500 right now. They are little below. I am not sure what the future holds. Trading guys could set the team back, adding could give them a chance for the division. It is still a long shot to win the division as the Cubs and Cardinals are probably thinking the same thing. But then again, how many teams are getting an All Star type player in five games?
SammyKhalifa

Half Way Point

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Yuck. Too bad we can't deal with the crappy Reds--otherwise the division record is acceptable.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Half Way Point

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

With 44 games against the division, that makes me wonder. There could be a huge swing in the standings with that many games left.
SammyKhalifa

Half Way Point

Post by SammyKhalifa »

15% of Reds wins are against us.
Jerseykc

Half Way Point

Post by Jerseykc »

575C54585D5C470204734A525B5C5C1D505C330 wrote: The Pirates are 42-47 at the All Star break with 73 games remaining and 44 against divisional rivals.  Sadly, they are still in reach of the division. 

They are 7-5 against the Cubs, 4-3 against the Brewers, 2-4 against the Cardinals, and 1-6 against the Reds (14-18 overall).

Only four of us predicted a losing season this year.  Of course, that was before the Kang and Marte situations. 

I thought the Pirates would be at .500 right now.  They are little below.  I am not sure what the future holds.  Trading guys could set the team back, adding could give them a chance for the division.  It is still a long shot to win the division as the Cubs and Cardinals are probably thinking the same thing.  But then again, how many teams are getting an All Star type player in five games?

This would be assuming that the Cubs just don't play up to their potential. They are already filled with All Stars. Madden just isn't managing them well.
UtahPirate

Half Way Point

Post by UtahPirate »

08273031273B2921420 wrote: The Pirates are 42-47 at the All Star break with 73 games remaining and 44 against divisional rivals.  Sadly, they are still in reach of the division. 

Only four of us predicted a losing season this year.  Of course, that was before the Kang and Marte situations. 

I thought the Pirates would be at .500 right now.  They are little below.  I am not sure what the future holds.  Trading guys could set the team back, adding could give them a chance for the division.  It is still a long shot to win the division as the Cubs and Cardinals are probably thinking the same thing.  But then again, how many teams are getting an All Star type player in five games?

This would be assuming that the Cubs just don't play up to their potential. They are already filled with All Stars. Madden just isn't managing them well.

Well you can count on that in the second half. Most over-rated manager in baseball.
skinnyhorse

Half Way Point

Post by skinnyhorse »

67485F5E4854464E2D0 wrote: The Pirates are 42-47 at the All Star break with 73 games remaining and 44 against divisional rivals.  Sadly, they are still in reach of the division. 

Cubbies have faltered mainly because of their starting pitching. Not sure what Madden can do about that, don't see him misusing his bullpen like Hurdle has. I am confident the Cubs will turn it around but a lot of that depends on his starters.
Bobster21

Half Way Point

Post by Bobster21 »

A bad year for the Cubs might be to win 85 or 86 games. Hard to see the Pirates doing that.
UtahPirate

Half Way Point

Post by UtahPirate »

6C747671716677706D6C7A1F0 wrote: The Pirates are 42-47 at the All Star break with 73 games remaining and 44 against divisional rivals.  Sadly, they are still in reach of the division. 

Cubbies have faltered mainly because of their starting pitching.  Not sure what Madden can do about that, don't see him misusing his bullpen like Hurdle has.  I am confident the Cubs will turn it around but a lot of that depends on his starters.

You could be right about the bullpen (though Chapman would disagree). He just rides his starters into the ground. Sunday and Lester's 52 pitches in one inning being a prime example.

Could it be his starters are struggling this year because he rode them so hard last year? Guy is a top notch prick and unbelievably overrated as a manager.
BucsFaninGA

Half Way Point

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Agree with DogKnot, Thought we would do a little better record wise. Geez, if we could just figure out how to beat the Reds! But still a lot of good things have happened: Osuna, Nova, Rivero, Frazier, Cutch, and Bell...If Marte can come back and contribute and Taillon can keep it going...Would love to see Bucs take the darn Cubbies and their genius manger Maddon to the wire! The social media folks and ESPN have made Maddon into the greatest manager of the current group. I just don't see that personally! Beat :Dt'em Bucs!