The Milwaukee Series ... THIS. IS. IT.

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Note: This post is assuming that we play 4 games vs. MIL this week with no rainouts.

So this is it. When the Brewers series is over, the Pirates could be as close as 3 games out of 1st or as far back as 11 games. So yea there's a ton on the line.

Here's how I see the various results:

3 games out -- (PIT sweep). Pirates have swept the Brewers, have a ton of momentum and are in the thick of a playoff race.

5 games out -- (PIT 3 of 4). Pirates are still very much in contention and the front office should make plans to try to win a winnable division.

7 games out -- (SPLIT 2-2). Pirates have blown a golden opportunity, split the series, have gained no ground and are heading out West on a 10-game road trip. I would declare the season essentially over, barring a miracle, and I would make plans to sell.

9 games out -- (MIL 3 of 4). Season over.

11 games out -- (MIL sweep). Season over.

Bottom line ... if the Pirates can take 3 of 4, they are still very much in this race. Anything short of that, and it's time to focus on 2018 and beyond.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

Agreed. Frankly, anything less than a sweep will disappoint me - this team needs to string some wi s together. 3 of 4 and this will be nice accomplishment, but I'm looking for a sweep.

Assuming 3-4, the team deserves a chance to try and win. They will have a significant turn-around in the works, from 11 under to 2 under in about 15 or 16 games. In that case, the team has to be given a crack.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

2301120F0C090E01221503030F600 wrote: Note: This post is assuming that we play 4 games vs. MIL this week with no rainouts.

So this is it. When the Brewers series is over, the Pirates could be as close as 3 games out of 1st or as far back as 11 games. So yea there's a ton on the line.

3 games out -- (PIT sweep). Pirates have swept the Brewers, have a ton of momentum and are in the thick of a playoff race.

5 games out -- (PIT 3 of 4). Pirates are still very much in contention and the front office should make plans to try to win a winnable division.

7 games out -- (SPLIT 2-2). Pirates have blown a golden opportunity, split the series, have gained no ground and are heading out West on a 10-game road trip. I would declare the season essentially over, barring a miracle, and I would make plans to sell.

Bottom line ... if the Pirates can take 3 of 4, they are still very much in this race. Anything short of that, and it's time to focus on 2018 and beyond.

I agree with this. Precisely why head to head are objectively more important games. I'll be very disappointed if we see Moroff, Stewart, or Gosselin at all this series. After the first game, Marte, McCutchen, Polanco, Freese, Mercer, Harrison, Bell, and Cervelli need to be in the starting lineup each game. I like that we have Nova, Cole, and Taillon pitching the last three games of the series.
notes34

Post by notes34 »

4D4546716742656A040 wrote: Note: This post is assuming that we play 4 games vs. MIL this week with no rainouts.

I agree with this.  Precisely why head to head are objectively more important games.  I'll be very disappointed if we see Moroff, Stewart, or Gosselin at all this series.  After the first game, Marte, McCutchen, Polanco, Freese, Mercer, Harrison, Bell, and Cervelli need to be in the starting lineup each game.  I like that we have Nova, Cole, and Taillon pitching the last three games of the series.
Yes now if we could just get Diaz back up here!
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

282023140227000F610 wrote: Note: This post is assuming that we play 4 games vs. MIL this week with no rainouts.

I agree with this.  Precisely why head to head are objectively more important games.  I'll be very disappointed if we see Moroff, Stewart, or Gosselin at all this series.  After the first game, Marte, McCutchen, Polanco, Freese, Mercer, Harrison, Bell, and Cervelli need to be in the starting lineup each game.  I like that we have Nova, Cole, and Taillon pitching the last three games of the series.
Don't be surprised if you see all of them. Hurdle knows how important it is to frequently rest players. That's why they have such a good record. And that's 4 whole games in a row. Hurdle doesn't seem to put importance on any particular game.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

There is an afternoon game on Thursday. Most back up catchers play in that game. Just a warning...
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

4348404C4948531610675E464F4848094448270 wrote: There is an afternoon game on Thursday.  Most back up catchers play in that game.  Just a warning...

True, although Cervelli started yesterday and Saturday night.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Marte returns tomorrow. So somebody has to be optioned. My guess is Gosselin. But they could option Osuna because he's more likely to get a hit.
mouse

Post by mouse »

Tomorrow will be the real test as well of Hurdle's coaching philosophy. Marte, a veteran, has been given something over 80 days off to rest up. He should really come back strong. At least perky.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

66647E786E0B0 wrote: Tomorrow will be the real test as well of Hurdle's coaching philosophy. Marte, a veteran, has been given something over 80 days off to rest up. He should really come back strong. At least perky.

I just hope this doesn't mean more days off for McCutchen. Marte can play CF unlike the others.