Huntington on fan today...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Don't know if anybody heard this interview today with Cook and Poni but he pretty much dodged every question he was asked, and it sounded like the money situation with the Pirates based on something's NH said is even tighter then it was before. He pretty said without saying so Cutch is gonna have to take less to stay here as well. I don't have a link for the interview but I am pretty sure it's on the fans website. If you wanna get more annoyed with this team then you already are listening to this interview will do. It was pretty pathetic pretty much all the way across the board.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

I didn't hear the part about Cutch he he did indeed dodge every question about money and why they didn't replace Kang and Marte and why they settled on Luplow instead of acquiring an outfielder and why they went with 2 OFers on the roster most of the season. It's obvious there are no good answers to those questions.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

735E53424554430300310 wrote: I didn't hear the part about Cutch he he did indeed dodge every question about money and why they didn't replace Kang and Marte and why they settled on Luplow instead of acquiring an outfielder and why they went with 2 OFers on the roster most of the season. It's obvious there are no good answers to those questions. 

I actually feel bad for Neal Huntington. I'm convinced he's an exceptional GM. I've said it before and I'll reiterate, I think he's a top-5 GM in baseball. Why he sticks around Pittsburgh is beyond me. There are 29 teams in MLB who would snatch him up in a second if he left. In my mind, he's one of the main reasons this team has been relatively competitive over the last few years. Put an average or below average GM in charge of this team? You get the DL era. Huntington works with one hand tied behind his back and still puts a mildly competitive team on the field. Imagine what he could do if he could use both hands.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

1D1516213712353A540 wrote: I didn't hear the part about Cutch he he did indeed dodge every question about money and why they didn't replace Kang and Marte and why they settled on Luplow instead of acquiring an outfielder and why they went with 2 OFers on the roster most of the season. It's obvious there are no good answers to those questions. 

I actually feel bad for Neal Huntington.  I'm convinced he's an exceptional GM.  I've said it before and I'll reiterate, I think he's a top-5 GM in baseball.  Why he sticks around Pittsburgh is beyond me.  There are 29 teams in MLB who would snatch him up in a second if he left.  In my mind, he's one of the main reasons this team has been relatively competitive over the last few years.  Put an average or below average GM in charge of this team?  You get the DL era.  Huntington works with one hand tied behind his back and still puts a mildly competitive team on the field.  Imagine what he could do if he could use both hands. I wish he could use the other hand to punch Bob Nutting in the face for being the cheap piece of garbage he truly is. Not to be critical or anything . I can't wait to hear Dog try to spin this one being Mr Bob Nutting apologist and defend some of the answers Neal gave today. I'm sure I'll hear well we made the playoffs 3 straight years and won 98 games and yada yada yada.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I tried to paraphrase as I listened.  Not my opinion, what Huntington said above the line:

He said he didn't trade for an outfielder when Polanco got hurt because it was a short term and the asking price was too high.  He said it was a buyer's market on July 30th and July 31st. 

April 18th, there was no market for an outfielder.  They explored a bunch of Triple A players to call up.  Decided to go with Jaso and Frazier since no one was available.  No teams were willing to trade at that time.  Felt the internal options were just as good as who was available.

They knew Kang could miss the entire season and next season.  They couldn't make a trade as most trades at that time are baseball trades for both teams.  Felt Freese and Harrison could handle third base.  Looking back on it, Kang and Marte hurt big time.  The asking price was too high at the times.

Luplow got the call because of the short window and could give them a spark.  Luplow was hitting well.  It just didn't happen. 

Ratings are down and attendance is down.  They are aware.  They are aware how they have fallen short.  They know fans want more.

Question: What happened to the money saved on Kang, Marte, and Liriano?  Huntington said the Liriano money went into Hudson, Freese, and Nova.  The other money saved, they didn't see a fit for anyone (Kang and Marte).

They do not discuss contract talk when asked if McCutchen was offered or if any talks started.

Over valuing prospects and they don't make it?  His response was how it is hard to evaluate.  He named a bunch of players that could have been traded but then they wouldn't have had those same players to win when they did.

Huntington is also sick of next year philosophy.  Played meaningful baseball in September many years, just didn't get over the top.  Compared the percentages of payrolls with Big Ben and Sidney Crosby. 

Was asking price really that high?  Just said how it is different as the deadline approaches.  Claims he was in on all of those guys.  Some guys were offered were liked better.  People have different ranking of players/prospects. 

Not looking ahead to 2018.  They are still going to fight this year.  Explained their record against the top teams.  Still focused on 2017.  Not until the season is over will they look at 2018.

Huntington said he thinks the team is better now with Polanco coming back.  Felt he replaced Watson with the Beniot trade.  Why he didn't trade the other guys with expiring contracts.

I kind of summarized Huntington to the best I could as I listened.  He dodged some questions for sure.  He also answered a few questions with answers from other questions. 

I didn't like the percentage of payroll answer.  Big Ben and Crosby are in a leagues with salary caps.  It should be harder to build around them than a McCutchen, who has no salary cap.

He did say how the market changed a few times from July 22nd - July 31st.  Trading for Nunez was asked a few times, with the same answer.  Personally, I didn't care for Nunez.

I hope that helps.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

2D262E2227263D787E093028212626672A26490 wrote: I tried to paraphrase as I listened.  Not my opinion, what Huntington said above the line:

He said he didn't trade for an outfielder when Polanco got hurt because it was a short term and the asking price was too high.  He said it was a buyer's market on July 30th and July 31st. 

April 18th, there was no market for an outfielder.  They explored a bunch of Triple A players to call up.  Decided to go with Jaso and Frazier since no one was available.  No teams were willing to trade at that time.  Felt the internal options were just as good as who was available.

They knew Kang could miss the entire season and next season.  They couldn't make a trade as most trades at that time are baseball trades for both teams.  Felt Freese and Harrison could handle third base.  Looking back on it, Kang and Marte hurt big time.  The asking price was too high at the times.

Luplow got the call because of the short window and could give them a spark.  Luplow was hitting well.  It just didn't happen. 

Ratings are down and attendance is down.  They are aware.  They are aware how they have fallen short.  They know fans want more.

Question: What happened to the money saved on Kang, Marte, and Liriano?  Huntington said the Liriano money went into Hudson, Freese, and Nova.  The other money saved, they didn't see a fit for anyone (Kang and Marte).

They do not discuss contract talk when asked if McCutchen was offered or if any talks started.

Over valuing prospects and they don't make it?  His response was how it is hard to evaluate.  He named a bunch of players that could have been traded but then they wouldn't have had those same players to win when they did.

Huntington is also sick of next year philosophy.  Played meaningful baseball in September many years, just didn't get over the top.  Compared the percentages of payrolls with Big Ben and Sidney Crosby. 

Was asking price really that high?  Just said how it is different as the deadline approaches.  Claims he was in on all of those guys.  Some guys were offered were liked better.  People have different ranking of players/prospects. 

Not looking ahead to 2018.  They are still going to fight this year.  Explained their record against the top teams.  Still focused on 2017.  Not until the season is over will they look at 2018.

Huntington said he thinks the team is better now with Polanco coming back.  Felt he replaced Watson with the Beniot trade.  Why he didn't trade the other guys with expiring contracts.

I kind of summarized Huntington to the best I could as I listened.  He dodged some questions for sure.  He also answered a few questions with answers from other questions. 

I didn't like the percentage of payroll answer.  Big Ben and Crosby are in a leagues with salary caps.  It should be harder to build around them than a McCutchen, who has no salary cap.

He did say how the market changed a few times from July 22nd - July 31st.  Trading for Nunez was asked a few times, with the same answer.  Personally, I didn't care for Nunez.

I hope that helps.

good report.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Excellent summary of the Huntington interview Dog you pretty much hit every point spot on. My apologies to you.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

41667773766B54607776766B120 wrote: Excellent summary of the Huntington interview Dog you pretty much hit every point spot on. My apologies to you.

Thanks.  I am just as disappointed as everyone else in this season, I just don't get the outrage (like I have said) on July 31st.  I don't get "shocked" when I expect things to happen.  I don't feel I am an apologist, I just like to understand the moves.

I felt Huntington, who was getting slammed with questions harshly, answered those big questions for me (replacing Kang and Marte).  I also assumed his answer was the case too.  I know people won't believe him, but that is what he said. 
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

People should save their outrage for the off-season. That's when you upgrade your team. The trade deadline is when you just need that extra little boost. We are not there and we should not mortgage the future to chase false hope.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

747F777B7E7F642127506971787F7F3E737F100 wrote: Excellent summary of the Huntington interview Dog you pretty much hit every point spot on. My apologies to you.

Thanks.  I am just as disappointed as everyone else in this season, I just don't get the outrage (like I have said) on July 31st.  I don't get "shocked" when I expect things to happen.  I don't feel I am an apologist, I just like to understand the moves.

I felt Huntington, who was getting slammed with questions harshly, answered those big questions for me (replacing Kang and Marte).  I also assumed his answer was the case too.  I know people won't believe him, but that is what he said. 

Why did you keep saying you don't get "the outrage"? I've tried to answer this and you didn't respond. So I'll do it again.

The book is now closed and we can evaluate.

At every step this season there was an excuse: Kang will be back, Marte will be back, it's too early to for trades, it's not a good market, only the big markets have a chance....

Then the deadline came. It was over with. Now everyone is free to evaluate and grade the Pirates FO. I can now look back and judge. A week ago the book was still open.

How about this: I'm not "outraged" over July 31st, I'm questioning the intentions of an organization that played 4 months with two OFers; 4 months with a designated bench player at 3rd; that a good two weeks before the deadline the Cubs traded for a quality pitcher the Pirates should have been able to afford, etc etc etc. then Monday, it's all over but the grades.

What it sounds like to me is that you wanted to shelter the FO early because they could still might take action, and now that the deadline is past you want to shelter the FO because "whats the point"?

the point is we're fans. Can't think of a more obvious matter to discuss.