No Deal Neal and Bottom Line Bob

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

BucsFaninGA

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Kevin Gorman's article in this AM, Pittsburgh Tribune hit the nail on the head. The ownership and leadership of our Bucs are

just content to be in the middle. Hard to be a Bucs fan with this type leadership...Our other Pittsburgh teams would not have sat on their hands...Beat'em Bucs :-X
SpeedyG

Post by SpeedyG »

Is there anything we could have added that would have made us a serious World Series Contender?

I don't think there is. I don't mind not acquiring anything because I don't think this team is very good, even if it is underachieving. Good teams don't lose as many games to terrible teams as this team has. We have, what, like 4 wins combined against San Fran, San Diego, and Cincy? Come on.

I do think we should have done more when we made the playoffs in 2013. Either during one of those trade deadlines or during the offseason. We had the best player in the NL on our team in his prime and we have nothing to show for those years. Another starter or offensive piece could have meant the difference between the Wild Card game and a full series. I think we beat the Giants and the Cubs in full series.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I understand the frustration but not about this deadline.

The Cardinals didn't do anything either. They have a better record than us. Do people think that the Cardinals are a cheap, go-nowhere organization, or are they just being realistic?
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

I don't understand being mad that we didn't add at the deadline either. We should have added right after we swept the Brewers and kept the momentum going, but i understand not adding.

I also don't understand how i should be fine with not adding and giving up on this season, and then also be fine with not trading one of the better bullpen pitchers out there during a deadline where pen pitchers were flying around everywhere.

But I guess nobody made any offers for Nicasio ::)
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

He would have netted more than Watson
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Houston personnel and players are asking the same questions. They have a ton of prospects and didn't add anyone either. Their star player spoke up about getting Liriano and not a real bullpen pitcher.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

6269616D6869723731467F676E6969286569060 wrote: Houston personnel and players are asking the same questions. They have a ton of prospects and didn't add anyone either. Their star player spoke up about getting Liriano and not a real bullpen pitcher.

Houston really didn't need to make a drastic move IMO.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

7C5F4A4A4B56682F0 wrote: Is there anything we could have added that would have made us a serious World Series Contender?

I don't think there is. I don't mind not acquiring anything because I don't think this team is very good, even if it is underachieving. Good teams don't lose as many games to terrible teams as this team has. We have, what, like 4 wins combined against San Fran, San Diego, and Cincy? Come on.

I do think we should have done more when we made the playoffs in 2013. Either during one of those trade deadlines or during the offseason. We had the best player in the NL on our team in his prime and we have nothing to show for those years. Another starter or offensive piece could have meant the difference between the Wild Card game and a full series. I think we beat the Giants and the Cubs in full series.

No to your first question. However, we all know Pittsburgh won't win the free agent war on good free agents. They look for cheap reclamation projects. Trade is the only way this franchise can nab a piece. This isn't about going to the World Series. It's about improving the roster. It was a fail. Most people realize this. The Pittsburgh media knows this and this is why you have seen critical posts by fans and articles by the media. It was a poor effort.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

4353526573737F100 wrote: Houston personnel and players are asking the same questions. They have a ton of prospects and didn't add anyone either. Their star player spoke up about getting Liriano and not a real bullpen pitcher.

You don't think they could have made a trade for a RP for their average bullpen? They are up 11 games or so, but their bullpen has been their weakness. We all know they have the prospects.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

2F242C2025243F7A7C0B322A2324246528244B0 wrote: Houston personnel and players are asking the same questions. They have a ton of prospects and didn't add anyone either. Their star player spoke up about getting Liriano and not a real bullpen pitcher.

You don't think they could have made a trade for a RP for their average bullpen? They are up 11 games or so, but their bullpen has been their weakness. We all know they have the prospects.

Wouldn't it be hilarious if we found out NH turned down a deal with Houston for Nicascio? It wouldn't surprise me as Juan was expendable;e but NH didn't see a "fit". What a crock. I'm sure they tried.  That said, they are one of the best teams there is.  I'd much rather be Houston than Pittsburgh.  Not close either.  I'm jealous of Houston.