Meadows left today's game with injury

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Just heard on The Fan that Austin Meadows left today's AAA game with some type of leg injury.  If this is an injury which places him on the DL , it probably will effect his chance to join the Bucs later this season. Just read that he will have an MRI for hamstring injury.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

Unfortunately he's regularly hurt. All to frequent in his young pro career. There's another thread asking if he should be counted on. Maybe he will be great.

Appears to me like he's going to be finding DL time often, based on his history. Something to consider
RichD

Post by RichD »

Yep, Meadows and the other guy Barnes are always hurt .

Meadows looks to be a 130 game per year player. Hopefully .

Chipper Jones was always hurt , but he put up numbers when he was playing. The Braves had a lot of chances to lets some other players play.Which helped .
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

It was reported today that Meadows tore his hamstring. They expect him to be out of the lineup for 2 to 4 weeks. I hope there is something they can do to help him from future hamstring problems. I think this might be his second time being disabled due to a hamstring injury.
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

4D41401B121B131E19061C2B0 wrote: It was reported today that Meadows tore his hamstring. They expect him to be out of the lineup for 2 to 4 weeks. I hope there is something they can do to help him from future hamstring problems. I think this might be his second time being disabled due to a hamstring injury.

If he tore his hamstring then he is most likely done for the year. Those injuries take 3-6 months to heal. He probably just strained his hamstring. 2-4 weeks is normal for that
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I didn't understand that either. I tore a muscle before. There is no wrapping it up and being back in a month. My tear was super tiny too.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Per today's Trib:

The rehab for top prospect Austin Meadows has been moved to Pirate City in Florida. The 22-year-old outfielder for Triple-A Indianapolis has been on the disabled list for a week because of a right hamstring strain.

"This could be a two-to-four week type of injury," Tomczyk said. "With Austin, the goal is to get him strong now and strong next year and the year after and the year after and the year after."

This is the third hamstring injury over the past three-plus years for Meadows, the Pirates' first-round pick in 2013 — the second strain to his right hamstring over the past 12 months.

"It's rather arduous and head-scratching for me personally," Tomczyk said. "…I take these injuries personally, whether they're in the minor leagues or the major leagues. We always debrief as a performance team about what we can do differently. We feel horrible for Austin that he injured his hamstring again. That's why we will dig deeper and see how we can prevent this from happening in the future."

http://triblive.com/sports/pirates/1245 ... -to-return
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Meadows left today's game with an oblique injury. Is this guy injury prone or what?
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

can anyone think of another player who was successful after suffering this many injuries?

To me, these are worse than tearing up a knee or getting TJ surgery where repair can be made.

He has missed a tremendous amount of time.

Only played 45 in 2014, 127 games in 2015, 87 in 2016 and 80 this season.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

656968333A333B36312E34030 wrote: Meadows left today's game with an oblique injury. Is this guy injury prone or what?

more outfielders with chronic lower body injuries.   Trade him.  It's only going to get worse as he gets older.  it's already hurting his development significantly and obviously there's something wrong that he can't play baseball without pulling something in his early 20s.