Would Rivero get you a good third baseman?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

???

Would you do it if so?

I would.
INbuc

Post by INbuc »

I wouldn't today for this reason: I doubt we could trade Rivero for a 3B as good as Kang. But if we did trade Rivero for a 3B and Kang did end up coming back, i doubt we could trade either Kang or the new 3B for someone as good as Rivero...simply because of the limited number of closers at his level. I place extreme value on a closer and we have one of the best.

I realize Kang may be a long shot to return, but I would be patient in this case.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

I would trade Rivero for talent.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

32000C0C182A09000D080700610 wrote: ???

Would you do it if so?

I would. 

I hate to do it, but having a young arm like him as a closer is utterly pointless if we can't get to him. That said, closers don't bring in ready made players IMO. You probably could get a few nice prospects.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

I think so valuewise, but it would be a tough trade partnership to find.   You'd need to match up with a team in control of two quality starting 3bman, which would be very tough.

A solid to good team would be looking for a closer, and I just don't know what the chances are that the same team would be simultaneously ok with letting go of their 3bman.  Unless they had two guys like that, I don't know that the needs would match up
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

38313928265C0 wrote: I think so valuewise, but it would be a tough trade partnership to find.   You'd need to match up with a team in control of two quality starting 3bman, which would be very tough.

A solid to good team would be looking for a closer, and I just don't know what the chances are that the same team would be simultaneously ok with letting go of their 3bman.    Unless they had two guys like that, I don't know that the needs would match up

I agree. I was surprised the Braves traded LaRoche for Gonzalez. That move kind of hurt the Braves as they later traded for Teixeira.

Is Houston a target for this type of deal?
mouse

Post by mouse »

You would almost have to look for a blocked AAA prospect, or a situation like we have with Osuna blocked by Bell.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

Any chance we could pry Vlad Jr from the Jays?
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

You could try to work a 3 team deal to return a starting 3bman.   Rivero to team A.  3rb baseman to us from Team B and prospects from team A to B.

I do think Rivero has the value to do that.  Have to match it up though .

Or just sign Mostakas or todd Frazier and then you don't need to worry about Rivero being involved.

3/30 would do it. Maybe he would take a 2/23 or something with an option year, but he probably wants that 3rd year
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

I would not trade Rivero. Any trade of a top player should only be part of an overall plan to upgrade the team to competitive status. Not just to improve one position and weaken another. The Pirates were under .500 the last 2 years. Finished 25 GB in 2016 and currently 18 GB with 2 to play. Adding a good 3Bman and weakening the BP won't make much of a difference. The pen already looks extremely weak for next year unless Kontos and Schugel can be consistently effective and a few other arms can be found.

If the FO decides to try to compete next year instead of taking a 3rd straight season off while pocketing profits, they'll have to keep Cutch. They will need an upgrade at 3B and maybe RF. I would trade Cole. There just isn't enough difference between Cole and the rest of the staff to make it imperative that he pitches. Taillon, Williams and Kuhl might improve with the experience they gained this year. If not, the rotation would be too weak to win even with a good Cole. Brault might be a nice addition to the rotation. I would entertain any offers for Nova or Glasnow.

So I would keep Rivero and add arms to support him. And add a 3Bman and/or RFer. Cole, Polanco and Osuna should be traded. And if they can get anything for them, Nova and/or Glasnow should be traded. Frazier has a quality bat and could play RF is they could get something for Polanco. Or they could try Frazier at 3B where he wouldn't need the range or the ability to turn a DP that have hindered him at 2B.