Good luck, Chuck. ..

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

ArnoldRothstein

Good luck, Chuck. ..

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

Charlie Morton tabbed to start Game 7. Who would have guessed that one during spring training?
mouse

Good luck, Chuck. ..

Post by mouse »

So the fate of the Astros, in a one-game, sudden death playoff game, rests on Charlie Morton. I haven't followed how he's done this year, but somehow that feels like something that would happen to the Pirates.
ArnoldRothstein

Good luck, Chuck. ..

On paper, Morton and Sabathia look like a pretty good match up this year. I'm hoping the home crowd can give Charlie a boost and he can shut the Yankees down for five innings.
Bobster21

Good luck, Chuck. ..

Post by Bobster21 »

7A78626472170 wrote: So the fate of the Astros, in a one-game, sudden death playoff game, rests on Charlie Morton. I haven't followed how he's done this year, but somehow that feels like something that would happen to the Pirates.
At age 33 he had his best year. 14-7, 3.62 ERA, 1.193 WHIP with career bests in H/9 (7.7) and K/9 (10.0). In the ALDS he went 4.1 innings with 7 hits and 2 runs in his only start. In his prior start in this playoff series, he had the Morton meltdown we are so familiar with. He lasted 3.2 innings giving up 7 runs. He's starting tonight because it's his turn but they expect to have everyone but Verlander ready to go. Morton will have an extremely short leash.
mouse

Good luck, Chuck. ..

Post by mouse »

I hope he does well. He always seemed to have good stuff - just a lot of trouble controlling it.
Bobster21

Good luck, Chuck. ..

Post by Bobster21 »

63617B7D6B0E0 wrote: I hope he does well. He always seemed to have good stuff - just a lot of trouble controlling it.
So true. I don't think I've ever seen as much movement on pitches as Morton has. But this was the 3rd year he's been the leader in HBPs and two other times he was in the top 3. He usually had a high ERA and always seemed to have that one meltdown inning. This year he increased his K rate and lowered his rate of walks and hits. So he seems to be a better pitcher now. But his previous start was not encouraging.
ArnoldRothstein

Good luck, Chuck. ..

It's Morton, for Cortain!
SammyKhalifa

Good luck, Chuck. ..

Post by SammyKhalifa »

He was always one of the more interesting guys on the team for me. GL.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Good luck, Chuck. ..

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

44767A7A6E5C7F767B7E7176170 wrote: He was always one of the more interesting guys on the team for me.  GL.

Me too. He really does have some good movement on his pitches. He should have been more successful.
Ecbucs

Good luck, Chuck. ..

Post by Ecbucs »

2E252D2124253E7B7D0A332B2225256429254A0 wrote: He was always one of the more interesting guys on the team for me.  GL.

Me too.  He really does have some good movement on his pitches. He should have been more successful.

I always thought he was going to pitch a no-hitter someday.