Nutting Interview with Trib . . .

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Nutting sat down with Bob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune Review and answered some questions. I was not impressed with Nutting's responses to some of the questions.

Check out the full interview here and give us your thoughts. Did his answers change your mind about him and the BMTIB?

Nutting Interview
Quail

Post by Quail »

Maybe after the nausea passes I can give it some more thought.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Nothing to inspire confidence there. He says he's competitive. Sure, he wants to win. He wants NH to assemble the best possible team available on one of MLB's smallest annual payrolls. Wanting to win and making a commitment to win are two different things. Actions speak louder than words.

Trib: Which approach will the Pirates take this winter: buy or sell?

Nutting: It's my belief we need to do both. We have to be focused on 2018. We have to be focused on putting the very best team on the field that we can. And we also have to make sure that we're doing the right thing for the long term of the franchise, that we're not mortgaging our future and we're building a sustainable championship quality team. There is nothing easy about that charge, but that's OK. Those are what the marching orders for Neal will be, have been and should be.

So they're focused on 2018. But they're focused on the future. They'd like to win in 2018. Who wouldn't? But if they don't, well they already said they were focused on the future. He's got all bases covered.

rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

1A373A2B2C3D2A6A69580 wrote: Nothing to inspire confidence there. He says he's competitive. Sure, he wants to win. He wants NH to assemble the best possible team available on one of MLB's smallest annual payrolls. Wanting to win and making a commitment to win are two different things. Actions speak louder than words. 

Nutting: It's my belief we need to do both. We have to be focused on 2018. We have to be focused on putting the very best team on the field that we can. And we also have to make sure that we're doing the right thing for the long term of the franchise, that we're not mortgaging our future and we're building a sustainable championship quality team. There is nothing easy about that charge, but that's OK. Those are what the marching orders for Neal will be, have been and should be.

So they're focused on 2018. But they're focused on the future. They'd like to win in 2018. Who wouldn't? But if they don't, well they already said they were focused on the future. He's got all bases covered.

VaPirate interviews Bob Nutting:

VaP: good morning Bob. Is it ok to call you "Bob"?

BN: you may call me "Mr Nutting."

VaP: absolutely. Mr Nuttington can I ask...

BN: Mr Nutting

VaP: what....

VaP: eh, ok. Mr nuttington I'd like to ask you about...

BN: (door slams)

VaP: and there you have it Pirate fans. It appears the Pirates are all in for 2018, 2019 and years to come as they compete for championships today while building for championships next year and the future. I'd like to extend my thanks to Mr Nuttington for this exclusive interview.

I'd say my interview was more informative....
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

I guess the big question, which could be asked of any of the leadership, is if the plan of 10 years ago hasn't become outmoded due to restrictions on Draft and international spending. If the answer's yes, then the next question would concern what Plan B is.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

New definition of insanity: continue to build for a future that gets further away every day...
notes34

Post by notes34 »

505741494750171B62454F434B4E0C414D4F220 wrote: New definition of insanity: continue to build for a future that gets further away every day...
:'(
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

585F49414F581F136A4D474B4346044945472A0 wrote: Nothing to inspire confidence there. He says he's competitive. Sure, he wants to win. He wants NH to assemble the best possible team available on one of MLB's smallest annual payrolls. Wanting to win and making a commitment to win are two different things. Actions speak louder than words. 

VaPirate interviews Bob Nutting:

VaP:  good morning Bob.  Is it ok to call you "Bob"?

BN: you may call me "Mr Nutting."

VaP:  absolutely.  Mr Nuttington can I ask...

VaP: what....

VaP: eh, ok.  Mr nuttington I'd like to ask you about...

BN: (door slams)

VaP: and there you have it Pirate fans. It appears the Pirates are all in for 2018, 2019 and years to come as they compete for championships today while building for championships next year and the future.   I'd like to extend my thanks to Mr Nuttington for this exclusive interview.

I'd say my interview was more informative....

Off topic but VA, your interview reminds me of this one from Monty Python:

timozbuck

Post by timozbuck »

What a dishonest POS
Quail

Post by Quail »

"The Pittsburgh Pirates deserve the commitment, the leadership that I believe we're providing."

Somehow I think Bob's definitions of commitment and leadership are somewhat lower in expectation than mine.

"There are more paths and opportunities open right now for the Pirates than we've had in any particular window I can think of."

Ah, the formerly never mentioned word "window" magically appears from the mouth of our fearless owner. So now we have paths to windows? Great! I guess like Hansel and Gretel we just follow the breadcrumbs of the payroll budget till we get to it.

"What we need to focus on is putting a team out there every day that's going to come out with an intent to win that day."

Gee Bob, a team that comes out with an intent to win that day? How innovative! I'll bet nobody else ever thought of approaching baseball like that! This franchise will have more intent than any other franchise in history!

"We've always been able to be opportunistic. That's the word we've used for several years now. We used it when we've been able to add and when we've chosen not to add. Having that flexibility to be opportunistic is important at any point in the season."

Yes Bob I've noticed that you've been very active in taking advantage of the opportunities not to add. Another area where your innovative approach to ownership forges a commitment to discovering new paths to windows in the present, future or some other time to be determined by TBMIB.