Brewers Interested in Yelich

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

I have advocated that the Pirates retool. That said, because of the number of years that he is under club control, his age, the quality of his play, and even his contract, a retool could include a player like Yelich. Folks discussed such in another thread.

MLB Trade Rumors is suggesting that the Brewers are interested in him. I believe the Pirates could present an attractive package for Yelich and that they should pursue him. Because of his ability to play either CF or LF, he also has more long-term value than most.

And, if the Pirates need to find more salary relief to obtain him, shop Freese, Rodriguez and Hudson and agree to eat a chunk of their salary to move any of the above. For example, the Bucs could move Freese and pay $1.5 mil of his 4.5 mil salary, and do about the same for Hudson, and they could come up with $5 - $6 mil to help pay Yelich's salary this year and have little negative impact on the team by deleting Freese and Hudson. While I'd prefer to move Rodriguez over Freese, I just don't think that such is realistic at this point.

I know getting Yelich won't happen and I doubt that the Pirates are discussing such, but landing him sure would be sweet.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

68444C4B4067504656250 wrote: I have advocated that the Pirates retool.   That said, because of the number of years that he is under club control, his age,  the quality of his play, and even his contract, a retool could include a player like Yelich.  Folks discussed such in another thread. 

MLB Trade Rumors is suggesting that the Brewers are interested in him.  I believe the Pirates could present an attractive package for Yelich and that they should pursue him. Because of his ability to play either CF or LF, he also has more long-term value than most.

And, if the Pirates need to find more salary relief to obtain him, shop Freese, Rodriguez and Hudson and agree to eat a chunk of their salary to move any of the above.  For example,  the Bucs could move Freese and pay $1.5 mil of his 4.5 mil salary, and do about the same for Hudson, and they could come up with $5 - $6 mil to help pay Yelich's salary this year and have little negative impact on the team by deleting Freese and Hudson.  While I'd prefer to move Rodriguez over Freese, I just don't think that such is realistic at this point.

I know getting Yelich won't happen and I doubt that the Pirates are discussing such, but landing him sure would be sweet.

He only makes 7.0 million this year and 9.75 million next year. The Bucs should be able to afford his contract. I think Keller and Meadows would need to be part of package. If the Pirates want to say they are going to contend this year getting him would be a plus.
RichD

Post by RichD »

I would offer Glasnow and Meadows plus a lower level guy. We could have Yelich for the next 3 years on the cheap and then we could trade him with 2 years left on contract .Should be able to get a nice haul.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

4F636B6C6740776171020 wrote: I have advocated that the Pirates retool.   That said, because of the number of years that he is under club control, his age,  the quality of his play, and even his contract, a retool could include a player like Yelich.  Folks discussed such in another thread. 

MLB Trade Rumors is suggesting that the Brewers are interested in him.  I believe the Pirates could present an attractive package for Yelich and that they should pursue him. Because of his ability to play either CF or LF, he also has more long-term value than most.

And, if the Pirates need to find more salary relief to obtain him, shop Freese, Rodriguez and Hudson and agree to eat a chunk of their salary to move any of the above.  For example,  the Bucs could move Freese and pay $1.5 mil of his 4.5 mil salary, and do about the same for Hudson, and they could come up with $5 - $6 mil to help pay Yelich's salary this year and have little negative impact on the team by deleting Freese and Hudson.  While I'd prefer to move Rodriguez over Freese, I just don't think that such is realistic at this point.

I brought this up in another thread.  The ownership/management group can't say they are trying to compete with this roster.  They care a lot about cheap controllable assets.  Yelich is that.  Cheap as in less than 10 million.  The Bucs aren't even considering this one.  They value prospects way too much.  I think Meadows and one of Glasnow or Tucker would get something done.  I don't think you have to include Keller.

Funny thing ... Milwaukee, a franchise much like our's is trying.  They ere interested in Cole.  They put an offer out there for Darvish and are interested in Yelich.  They didn't get Cole ... they probably won't get Darvish and I'm not sure they have the assets to get Yelich.  That said, they are trying.  Pittsburgh isn't.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

That's exactly right and my frustration is growing by the day.

It's like WE ARE NOT EVEN TRYING.

Honestly, right now what is management planning to do about LF ... Frazier and Luplow? Is that the plan? To play a season with a total of 2 real outfielders again. (The Austin Jackson thing continues to drive me nuts. He's not an A-level player by any means, but it' a textbook example of someone who could have actually IMPROVED this team and who was very affordable. Just inexcusable in my opinion).

And I guess we are perfectly willing to go into another season with a starting rotation made up entirely of guys who have various question marks and who maybe are all pretty decent but nothing special. Yes, there is potential there, but there are a LOT of unknowns, and you know for sure there will be injuries and some guys underperforming. But, nah, let's don't bring in a PROVEN, LEGITIMATE arm or two to add depth. I'm sure that decision will work out just fine and our starting rotation will be absolutely dominant from day one.

Just very frustrating ...

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

You don't consider Luplow an outfielder?

He has played some 3B in the minors, but he has played a lot more games in the outfield. He hasn't played 3B since 2015. He played mostly RF in college too.

Luplow has done pretty well in Double A and Triple A the last two years with the bat. I think he should get the shot at LF and should be a legitimate candidate (as the team is now). He is 24 years old.
mouse

Post by mouse »

I like Frazier's bat and think left field (given his speed) is the least hazardous position for him defensively. Luplow is an outfielder as well, so I would think the two of them be looked at for the spot. My guess is that Luplow will not be as fast in left but may hit for more power.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Okay. Valid points. I guess my point is that they're not exactly proven major league outfielders and it's like we're not even trying to upgrade ... even though it's a position where we could easily upgrade.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Frazier's 511 OF innings was 4th on the team last year and the advanced defensive metrics I've seen were on the plus side. So I think it's fair to call him a legit OFer now. They need his bat at the top of the lineup so my guess is that he's penciled in at LF. With Moran at 3B, S-Rod could be the 4th OFer. Luplow has less than 1 full season above A-ball so I suspect he may begin the season at Indy to get regular ABs until Polanco's first injury. Ditto for Osuna who isn't needed at 1B or even 3B and is atrocious in the OF despite a great arm. He should go to Indy and play the OF every day to see if he can have value there. Wouldn't surprise me to see them get a journeyman OFer for the bench so that Luplow and Osuna can get more ABs in AAA until needed.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

You are probably right. I don't think the Pirates should trade for Yelich either. He is a nice player, but I think of him as more of a piece than someone you build around. Polanco can put up the same numbers (.280, 20 HRs, .800 OPS) and should.

Rodriguez can be the 4th outfielder too if there are no other trades (I still expect Harrison to be traded). Is he that journey man?

I have been reading about Luplow. I guess I am hoping he can be that impact rookie that this team never finds. It would help Huntington's draft resume too.