Bucs need a backup CF

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

BucsFaninGA

Bucs need a backup CF

Post by BucsFaninGA »

I keep thinking who is going to play CF when Marte needs a breather? Frazier doesn't strike me as a guy who can man CF. Polanco? As a corner OF yes, but CF no dice...S Rod? Jay Hay? Nava?

Who will fill the spot in the boards opinion? Looking forward to Pirate news daily from Spring Training. Beat'em Bucs 8-)
Bobster21

Bucs need a backup CF

Post by Bobster21 »

Right now it appears Rodriguez is the first guy off the bench for any position except catcher.
fjk090852-7

Bucs need a backup CF

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I totally agree they need a player who can back up Marte if he gets hurt, or when he gets a day off. Last year we played most of the season with only two regular outfielders. You would think the Pirates would learn from the previous season that they need an outfielder like Dyson, Jay,or Maybin to plug into centerfield from time to time.
IABucFan

Bucs need a backup CF

Post by IABucFan »

313D3C676E676F62657A60570 wrote: I totally agree they need a player who can back up Marte if he gets hurt, or when he gets a day off. Last year we played most of the season with only two regular outfielders. You would think the Pirates would learn from the previous season that they need an outfielder like Dyson, Jay,or Maybin to plug into centerfield from time to time.

And therein lies the problem.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Bucs need a backup CF

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

230E03121504135350610 wrote: Right now it appears Rodriguez is the first guy off the bench for any position except catcher.   

Agree.

I think Rodriguez is the best defensive player on the team at four positions, but I have never seen him catch. I'd say he is not better than Mercer, Harrison or Marte. I assume he is the emergency catcher too.
MaineBucs

Bucs need a backup CF

Post by MaineBucs »

Pirates are going to need one of their pitchers to be like Ohtani. Not sure who among the 12 pitchers can fill the role, but I am leaning toward Brault because he also hits left.

I don't know the minor league system of other teams all that well, but I've got to believe that some team has a AAAA outfielder who can capably play center, hit .240 or so in the majors and not cost much in talent to acquire. At present, I would prefer someone like the above rather than overpaying for Jay or Dyson.
SammyKhalifa

Bucs need a backup CF

Post by SammyKhalifa »

416D6562694E796F7F0C0 wrote: Pirates are going to need one of their pitchers to be like Ohtani.  Not sure who among the 12 pitchers can fill the role, but I am leaning toward Brault because he also hits left. 

I don't know the minor league system of other teams all that well, but I've got to believe that some team has a AAAA outfielder who can capably play center, hit .240 or so in the majors and not cost much in talent to acquire.  At present, I would prefer someone like the above rather than overpaying for Jay or Dyson.   

Yeah, when I read of the Nava signing I incorrectly thought he played CF. That would not have been a bad part if it were the case.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Bucs need a backup CF

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

456961666D4A7D6B7B080 wrote: Pirates are going to need one of their pitchers to be like Ohtani.  Not sure who among the 12 pitchers can fill the role, but I am leaning toward Brault because he also hits left. 

I don't know the minor league system of other teams all that well, but I've got to believe that some team has a AAAA outfielder who can capably play center, hit .240 or so in the majors and not cost much in talent to acquire.  At present, I would prefer someone like the above rather than overpaying for Jay or Dyson.   

What is wrong with Sean Rodriguez?

Chris Bostick hit close to .300 in the majors (and minors) last year. He is a good athlete and can fill in.
SammyKhalifa

Bucs need a backup CF

Post by SammyKhalifa »

28232B272223387D7B0C352D242323622F234C0 wrote: Pirates are going to need one of their pitchers to be like Ohtani.  Not sure who among the 12 pitchers can fill the role, but I am leaning toward Brault because he also hits left. 

Chris Bostick hit close to .300 in the majors (and minors) last year.  He is a good athlete and can fill in.

I think SROD is valuable, more so than some of the other bench players. Freese in particular is redundant right now.
Ecbucs

Bucs need a backup CF

Post by Ecbucs »

63515D5D497B58515C595651300 wrote: Pirates are going to need one of their pitchers to be like Ohtani.  Not sure who among the 12 pitchers can fill the role, but I am leaning toward Brault because he also hits left. 

Chris Bostick hit close to .300 in the majors (and minors) last year.  He is a good athlete and can fill in.

I think SROD is valuable, more so than some of the other bench players.  Freese in particular is redundant right now.

the mlb.com website depth chart has Polanco as back up in center. Doesn't list anyone else. S-Rod is on the chart for both left and right.

Could be the next person on depth chart is expected to start at Indy.