Jake Arrieta

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Roberto218

Jake Arrieta

Post by Roberto218 »

Now that we added Dickerson, how about a starting pitcher named Jake. Do more than compete....Win!!!
SteadyFreddy

Jake Arrieta

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Yea that won’t be happening that’s a pipe dream at this point getting Arietta. I still think the Bucs can add a veteran arm to help this rotation out m. Two names I would look at if I’m the Pirates would be either Alex Cobb or Lance Lynn. I think both are very affordable and signing one would make the Pirates rotation a lot better and give it more stability.
sdimmick3

Jake Arrieta

Post by sdimmick3 »

agreed, gotta get someone to help them out. i know it would make freese and j-hay happy too.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Jake Arrieta

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

The rotation is young besides Nova. Nova is the oldest and probably now the least attractive one of the group. Meaning, he is what he is with not much upside.

I don't see a need there on a rebuilding team. Taillon, Kuhl, Williams, and Musgrove shouldn't be replaced. They deserve a shot to see if they can be fixtures going forward. If they fail, Kingham, Glasnow, Brault, and Holmes will get some shots.

Yes, Arrieta would improve the rotation and be the best pitcher probably. I don't think you bring in that type of guy going forward on a rebuilding team.
SammyKhalifa

Jake Arrieta

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Sign Arietta and miss the playoffs anyway.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Jake Arrieta

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I am also not a fan of his attitude. In my opinion, it looks like he thinks he is the best pitcher ever. I hated how he blasted the Orioles' coaching staff when he left. He was traded in 2013 and then blasted them in 2015 during his monster year.

Of course, I have never met him. It is my opinion as an outsider. He is one of my least favorite players (active) along with Brandon Phillips and Carlos Gomez.
PMike

Jake Arrieta

Post by PMike »

Absolutely not to Arrieta. His ERA may be ok the last couple years, but all of his peripheral numbers are heading into the tank.

Innings - 230 -> 197 -> 170

FIP - 2.35 -> 3.52 -> 4.16

WHIP - .86 -> 1.08 -> 1.22

H/9 - 5.9 -> 6.3 -> 8

He's 32 and clearly declining by year.
Bobster21

Jake Arrieta

Post by Bobster21 »

666D65696C6D763335427B636A6D6D2C616D020 wrote: I am also not a fan of his attitude.  In my opinion, it looks like he thinks he is the best pitcher ever.  I hated how he blasted the Orioles' coaching staff when he left.  He was traded in 2013 and then blasted them in 2015 during his monster year. 

Of course, I have never met him.  It is my opinion as an outsider.  He is one of my least favorite players (active) along with Brandon Phillips and Carlos Gomez.
Arrieta was a huge disappointment with the Orioles. But I think his comments about them were in response to a question about why he was a totally different pitcher as soon as he joined the Cubs. He said the Orioles would not allow him to pitch the way he wanted or use a certain pitch. I don't think he made it his business to trash them. He was just explaining that his success was because the Cubs allowed him to pitch as he wanted and the Orioles did not.
Roberto218

Jake Arrieta

Post by Roberto218 »

Seriously, there is about $25 million in unspent payroll. If $105 million is the too-low cap, then there is plenty of room to improve the rotation with a free agent signing, if Nutting is so inclined. The free agent market may be a good investment right now.
SammyKhalifa

Jake Arrieta

Post by SammyKhalifa »

4D707D7A6D6B702D2E271F0 wrote: Seriously, there is about $25 million in unspent payroll.  If $105 million is the too-low cap, then there is plenty of room to improve the rotation with a free agent signing, if Nutting is so inclined. The free agent market may be a good investment right now.

Alex Cobb?