Bucs Sign Kevin Siegrist

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Bucs Sign Kevin Siegrist

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Just saw that the Pirates signed Kevin Seigrist to a minor league agreement which included an invitation to spring training.
IABucFan

Bucs Sign Kevin Siegrist

Post by IABucFan »

Wow. So, we essentially trade Hudson for Dickerson and Siegrist? That’s a pretty good days work from NH. Siegrist is pretty nasty when he’s on. I like this move. Still frustrated with this FO...these are two moves they should have made in 2014/2015, rather thank standing pat. Maybe the fans uproar is having an effect.
mouse

Bucs Sign Kevin Siegrist

Post by mouse »

Looks like some of his troubles last year were injury related. If he's healthy now he could be a good bounce back candidate. There should be a spot in the bullpen for a lefty. I think the other candidates for that spot have options left, which is always the curse for someone fighting for a ML spot.
INbuc

Bucs Sign Kevin Siegrist

Post by INbuc »

Siegrist was a very effective pitcher in 2015 and 2016. He had some issues last year and his velocity has fallen off. I heard the Cardinal announcers say his walks increased as he was forced to nibble more, but I remember seeing him really struggle to find the strike zone at times.

He was pretty hard to hit a few years back so he is certainly worth taking a look at. But my guess is his future success will be dictated by his ability to regain his full velocity.
SCBucco

Bucs Sign Kevin Siegrist

Post by SCBucco »

Well, we added a value reliever to the mix.  Maybe the fact the fan base was calling our GM a joke has gotten to him.  Again, still not in the redeeming stage yet, but pleasantly surprised.  If he signs Moustakas or a good starting pitcher, I will forgive him.
Bobster21

Bucs Sign Kevin Siegrist

Post by Bobster21 »

40484B7C6A4F6867090 wrote: Wow. So, we essentially trade Hudson for Dickerson and Siegrist? That’s a pretty good days work from NH. Siegrist is pretty nasty when he’s on. I like this move. Still frustrated with this FO...these are two moves they should have made in 2014/2015, rather thank standing pat. Maybe the fans uproar is having an effect.
If the FO didn't care when the fans complained, I think they took notice when the players complained. It seems clear they had not intended to bring in a potentially big bat for LF or they would not have been stocking up on marginal candidates like Nava, Saunders and Brentz. Then ST begins, Nutting talks to the players, and they make the Dickerson deal while releasing Saunders after 2 days. Siegrist could potentially be a good addition. Just seems very strange they spend the off season doing nothing but trading their veterans for youth, being criticized by fans, media and players and suddenly during ST decide to improve the team. I like these moves. But I doubt they happen without Frese and Harrison stepping up.
IABucFan

Bucs Sign Kevin Siegrist

Post by IABucFan »

Yes, Bobster. I agree. Props to J-Hay and Freese. And, I’d even say Cole, too. Cole called them out in no uncertain terms. I don’t care if he’s on another team now.

But, yeah...NH's early ST reeks of damage control. Almost like he looked at the calendar and was like, “Oh crap...I forgot, it’s almost opening day. I should go get a left fielder!” Not that playing with two outfielders stopped them last year or anything... ::)
dmetz

Bucs Sign Kevin Siegrist

Post by dmetz »

This is a good add. This was a good pitcher a very short time ago. Yes NH. Good pickup

2 in a row for bad-deal Neal. Seems like the org turned 180 in the last week. Hmmm...
DemDog

Bucs Sign Kevin Siegrist

Post by DemDog »

With this deal things are really getting murky for Steven Brault making the team out of ST.
SCBucco

Bucs Sign Kevin Siegrist

Post by SCBucco »

755855444352450506370 wrote: Wow. So, we essentially trade Hudson for Dickerson and Siegrist? That’s a pretty good days work from NH. Siegrist is pretty nasty when he’s on. I like this move. Still frustrated with this FO...these are two moves they should have made in 2014/2015, rather thank standing pat. Maybe the fans uproar is having an effect.
If the FO didn't care when the fans complained, I think they took notice when the players complained. It seems clear they had not intended to bring in a potentially big bat for LF or they would not have been stocking up on marginal candidates like Nava, Saunders and Brentz. Then ST begins, Nutting talks to the players, and they make the Dickerson deal while releasing Saunders after 2 days. Siegrist could potentially be a good addition. Just seems very strange they spend the off season doing nothing but trading their veterans for youth, being criticized by fans, media and players and suddenly during ST decide to improve the team. I like these moves. But I doubt they happen without Frese and Harrison stepping up.   

Agree with this. I wish Freese and Harrison would have said something earlier.