Ecbucs

Pirate morale to improve because Cutch is gone

Post by Ecbucs »

that is the question, Point of Pittsburgh article argues it will be improved:

http://www.thepointofpittsburgh.com/pir ... ite-cutch/
notes34

Post by notes34 »

Garbage article. Filled with speculation, terrible article.
Quail

Post by Quail »

It's strictly an opinion piece. Here's a quote from the article:

"I know this “tween” “diva” “millennial” ….whatever type of attitude you want to call it, drove ME crazy. I’m sure as heck it drove McCutchen’s teammates crazy. Maybe the teammates who are complaining about the clubhouse environment are including him in the mix."

What he's "sure as heck" of I'm most certainly not. He has no idea how Cutch's teammates felt about Cutch. I would classify this as pure speculation with no supporting facts. In other words Hog Wash.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

This was my comment:

this article doesn’t explain how Cutch is different than other players. I see no evidence presented that morale will improve because he is gone. Just seems like wishful thinking that morale will improve and because of that team will be better.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

Once in a blue moon, TPOP stumbles on to something worth reading.

I actually agree with Cutch being a loafer and primadonna.  His 2016 season was plagued with feet first fancy diving when it wasn't needed and not only has he stopped stealing bases...he stopped tripling because he won't dig out of the box.  He LOVES looking good and watching those hits...

If Cutch had JHays heart and hustle, he'd be HOF bound.   As it is, he has 203 HR and 171 steals going into his 31 season (I.E. he has no chance at the hall)

That's the once a year I agree with TPOP
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

1C3A3B2C3A2A590 wrote: This was my comment:

this article doesn’t explain how Cutch is different than other players. I see no evidence presented that morale will improve because he is gone. Just seems like wishful thinking that morale will improve and because of that team will be better.

Right. Tell us why. I hate blanket statements.
PMike

Post by PMike »

48414958562C0 wrote: Once in a blue moon, TPOP stumbles on to something worth reading.

I actually agree with Cutch being a loafer and primadonna.  His 2016 season was plagued with feet first fancy diving when it wasn't needed and not only has he stopped stealing bases...he stopped tripling because he won't dig out of the box.  He LOVES looking good and watching those hits...

If Cutch had JHays heart and hustle, he'd be HOF bound.   As it is, he has 203 HR and 171 steals going into his 31 season (I.E. he has no chance at the hall)

Unpopular opinion, but I agree with it. Cutch wasn't exactly the model teammate last year after he was moved to left field for (the clearly defensively superior) Marte. Then, he acted childishly when Marte got the suspension and he returned to CF.

His body language was always bad when he was slumping.

I don't know how true the article is, but I always wondered what sort of teammate he was when things didn't go his way.
Roberto218

Post by Roberto218 »

I disagree with the article. Cutch is a hard-nosed player. He could make the HOF if he returns to pre-2016 form. He played injured. He stayed in CF when Marte returned because Marte wasn't eligible for the playoffs. He slid feet first on catches because he liked to play deep. He did win a gold glove in center, but I acknowledge that his defensive metrics were not good the last couple years. Better coming in than going back which is one reason he liked to play deep. When A-Rod came to Yankees, Jeter insisted that he stay at SS even though Jeter couldn't play SS as well. Cutch worked hard to improve his defense last year, and it was better than 2016, when they made him play 15 feet closer. I saw Cutch gaze at some balls he hit, and lollipop a few throws, but overall he played hard.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

0F1236343A5F0 wrote: Once in a blue moon, TPOP stumbles on to something worth reading.

Unpopular opinion, but I agree with it.  Cutch wasn't exactly the model teammate last year after he was moved to left field for (the clearly defensively superior) Marte.  Then, he acted childishly when Marte got the suspension and he returned to CF.

I don't know how true the article is, but I always wondered what sort of teammate he was when things didn't go his way.

the problem I have with what kind of teammate he was is there are no examples of anyone, and I mean anyone criticizing him. As far as I can tell the Pirate players looked to him to be a leader, whether he was a diva or not. The article only speculates that Cutch was a problem. These critiques of Cutch are similar to the critiques of Clemente being a loafer and malingerer.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

517776617767140 wrote: Once in a blue moon, TPOP stumbles on to something worth reading.

Unpopular opinion, but I agree with it.  Cutch wasn't exactly the model teammate last year after he was moved to left field for (the clearly defensively superior) Marte.  Then, he acted childishly when Marte got the suspension and he returned to CF.

the problem I have with what kind of teammate he was is there are no examples of anyone, and I mean anyone criticizing him.  As far as I can tell the Pirate players looked to him to be a leader, whether he was a diva or not.  The article only speculates that Cutch was a problem.  These critiques of Cutch are similar to the critiques of Clemente being a loafer and malingerer.

I would guess that he was a good teammate. Everyone seemed to like him. The pirates aren't "BETTER OFF" without him, that part of the article is crazy lol. But TPOP is as close to a NH propaganda arm as could exist so no surprise there.