Good Start!

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Roberto218

Good Start!

Post by Roberto218 »

Polanco is really stepping up. I think offense will be improved. Much depends upon starting pitching. It will be interesting to see how Brault does subbing for Musgrove.
mouse

Good Start!

Post by mouse »

It also helps that Rivero has had a good start at closer. It took a long time (it seemed) last year for Hurdle to recognize that for whatever reason Watson was not able to do the job. If Rivero can hold up, the team should pick up two or three wins they lost out on last year.
OrlandoMerced

Good Start!

Post by OrlandoMerced »

I'm definitely most concerned about the bullpen. I don't think any of their starters can be counted on to make it through the lineup three times. So basically, they are being called on to get them to the sixth inning and then let the bullpen close it out.

It seems like Doyvdas and Santana can be the first guys in to close out the 6th and for low leverage late inning situations. Kontos and Rivero are the 8-9 guys and Feliz could be the 7th inning guy. (Rivero and Feliz both look ok after game one debacles). I think Brault can be a loogy and Smoker released. That still leaves Glasnow as, "undefined". I guess the plan is to work on getting this guy confidence in low leverage situations.
MaineBucs

Good Start!

Post by MaineBucs »

Well ---

Rivero did come up big in 2 of the 3 wins in Detroit, but he couldn't hold a 4 run lead in the ninth on opening day. Gotta hope that his lose of control was a one day aberration and not a return to how he performed in Washington.

Kontos has been a really pleasant surprise. Doubt he can keep it up for a whole season, but nice start to the year. While saves can be overrated, if Kontos pitched last night like Rivero did on opening day everyone would have the pitch forks out.

And while it is really early - emphasize really - the overall pen does not appear to be a great strength. Feliz has been both good and bad, Smoker is getting smoked, Santana and Neverauskus are likely average at best, and who knows about Glasnow.

That said, 4 wins to start the season is encouraging.
IABucFan

Good Start!

Post by IABucFan »

I have to believe that Siegrist will be up with the MLB team soon. I think it's way to SSS to form any judgment about Smoker, Siegrist is straight filthy when he's right.
skinnyhorse

Good Start!

Post by skinnyhorse »

Palonco looks really good at the plate right now don't think anyone wants to pitch to him, Josh Harrison doing ok and Frazier can get on base if CH would let him play and that's about it. I have high hopes that Glasnow will get his confidence back after a few sucessful bullpen stints the guy is just nasty if he can throw strikes.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Good Start!

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I like how the Starters got the Wins in three out of the four games. It's not a great stat to judge players, but it looks great on paper and has to give pitchers a confidence boost.

If the starters can get through the sixth inning, that would be huge for the team and bullpen too. So far, only Williams completed the sixth inning.