Bad influence

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Leyland1948

Bad influence

Post by Leyland1948 »

Anyone else think that maybe Marte is a bad influence on Polanco or the other way around? Both their attitudes and hustle seem to be something that needed addressed!
fjk090852-7

Bad influence

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I think you are on the right track with your comment. I would have no problem if they moved Marte this winter, but they would have a big void to fill in centerfield.
rucker59@gmail.com

Bad influence

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

042D312429262C79717C70480 wrote: Anyone else think that maybe Marte is a bad influence on Polanco or the other way around? Both their attitudes and hustle seem to be something that needed addressed!

I absolutely believe this and have been saying so for a couple years. I absolutely believe Marte is who Freese was referring to in preseason.

I think Marte has an attitude problem. I think Polanco is a good kid who has been influenced.

I absolutely believe the Pirates’ management did nothing to address this matter. Nothing. Apparently other teammates did nothing.

I’m definitely willing to trade Marte, have been for years. He’s increased his value this year, he should bring some value back. I’d rather have Frazier in CF. At least he gives everything.
fjk090852-7

Bad influence

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Marte has one year remaining on his contract,and two option years. It just might be a good offseason to see what he can bring back in a deal. I would hope that they could bring back a player who can play centerfield at least on a platoon basis.
SCBucco

Bad influence

Post by SCBucco »

Starling is a puzzling dude. Tremendously talented, but he goes through stretches like he doesn't care. I would have thought last year would have taught him a lesson. His value is higher and while it would sting, I wouldn't be opposed to seeing NH deal him for a nice return.
notes34

Bad influence

Post by notes34 »

I get what you guys are saying, but this offense is so bad already I have a hard time dealing Marte. Where is his replacement coming from? We all know this organization isn't spending big bucks to bring in a top CF.
rucker59@gmail.com

Bad influence

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

39382332246463570 wrote: I get what you guys are saying, but this offense is so bad already I have a hard time dealing Marte. Where is his replacement coming from? We all know this organization isn't spending big bucks to bring in a top CF.

Has everyone forgotten Meadows?? :D

Damn that Neal Huntington! ;)

The life of a Pirate fan....
mouse

Bad influence

Post by mouse »

Somehow I suspect that's the question Huntington will be asking himself this winter. He really has to take a long look at this lineup. It doesn't appear he has any AAA level outfielders at this point (who are above replacement level) and certainly no hitters anywhere near ready. He really got hurt by that mini-surge right after he threatened to make trades at the deadline.
DemDog

Bad influence

Post by DemDog »

545859020B020A07001F05320 wrote: Marte has one year remaining on his contract,and two option years. It just might be a good offseason to see what he can bring back in a deal. I would hope that they could bring back a player who can play centerfield at least on a platoon basis.

There was quite a discussion on 93.7 the fan that I listened to yesterday afternoon on the Starkey and Mueller show I believe. They seemed convinced that a Marte deal is not out of the question in the future. Seem that Marte has not progressed much since his rookie year and at age 30 there is doubt that he can be more than he is now. But if he is traded we need an MLB player and not just prospects. I for one would accept a Marte trade if we get some very good value for him. But is that possible.
thessy

Bad influence

Post by thessy »

To the original question, I do think Marte has been an influence on Polanco, and generally not for the better.

Super small sample size and possibly a terrible idea, but Dickerson has played 27 games in CF and has fielded 1.000% in those games. Marte and Harrison's combined $18M off the books for next year could snag a pretty decent corner OF - or CF for that matter I guess.

Personally I would much rather keep Marte and bring in a manger that doesn't let things get to this point. Marte wouldn't be doing it if he didn't think he could get away with it, and I sincerely don't believe Marte would have been benched at all if not for the reaction from fans.