Josh Harrison Has Cleared Waivers

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

MLB Trade Rumors is reporting that Harrison has cleared waivers. I doubt he gets traded before August 31 due to his lingering hamstring issue.
mouse

Post by mouse »

NH has really had a difficult time this year making any moves at all. Events have conspired against him time after time. I truly think he had plans before the trade deadline that the win streak scuttled. It's hard to say if Harrison has any (or much) trade value, but the hamstring certainly hampers whatever value he did have.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

I know he is a fan favorite, but right now, his production isn't worth 10 mill + per year. I would have traded him in the offseason. If someone wants him now, I'd move him.
Kovalwat

Post by Kovalwat »

So, thee selfish greedy stinking cheapskate carpetbaggers are getting ready to salary dump Harrison and replace him with a minor leaguer like Newman who can't hit major league pitching any better than I can.
notes34

Post by notes34 »

6D7D7C4B5D5D513E0 wrote: I know he is a fan favorite, but right now, his production isn't worth 10 mill + per year.  I would have traded him in the offseason.  If someone wants him now, I'd move him.
Absolutely, his production has dropped off noticeably. Not only has he not been hitting, but his defense is slipping. I know Frazier stinks on D but I would play him and see just how good his offense can be playing full time.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

4A6E77606D766075010 wrote: So, thee selfish greedy stinking cheapskate carpetbaggers are getting ready to salary dump Harrison and replace him with a minor leaguer like Newman who can't hit major league pitching any better than I can.
I could go either way, but why are you so desperate to keep Josh Harrison and his .300 on-base and wavering defense?  If he made less money you'd hate him.  Why is there a difference? 

If they gave Newman an extra ten million bucks for no reason would you like him more?
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

Unfortunately Harrison has not performed well enough to have the Pirates pick up the 10M option. I doubt any team would.

However if allowed I would like to seethe Pirates negotiate a lesser deal to keep Harrison. He is a leader by example and the kids need to see and replicate the effort he puts out.

I also believe without the nagging injuries he has suffered this year; that his numbers would be significantly better.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

705556564368555D5F483A0 wrote: Unfortunately Harrison has not performed well enough to have the Pirates pick up the 10M option. I doubt any team would.

However if allowed I would like to seethe Pirates negotiate a lesser deal to keep Harrison. He is a leader by example and the kids need to see and replicate the effort he puts out.

I also believe without the nagging injuries he has suffered this year; that his numbers would be significantly better.

I might go with J-Hay in kind of a supersub role like he did early in his Bucco career but not at the expense of cutting down playing time of kids. Pinch-hit, pinch-run then go into the game as a double switch or defensive replacement not that his defense is great anymore.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

I expect Harrison to be with the Reds next year. It's his hometown team and they have always liked him. The Pirates won't pick up his option and the Reds can sign him as a super utility player.
INbuc

Post by INbuc »

6F4B524548534550240 wrote: So, thee selfish greedy stinking cheapskate carpetbaggers are getting ready to salary dump Harrison and replace him with a minor leaguer like Newman who can't hit major league pitching any better than I can.

Harrison is a .278 career hitter, which is better than I thought. I have seen Newman play twice in person. If you asked me to bet my house on who I thought would be a better career hitter I would choose Newman... and it wouldn't take long. I like Jhay, but at $10M a year I would criticize TBMITB if they keep Harrison over Newman going forward. It may be an uncomfortable decision, but it is a no-brainer to me.

Seriously, why do you hate Newman so much? Over time he may become the best for-average hitter in the organization.