mouse

Clemente on Google

Post by mouse »

Today's Google Doodle honors Roberto. Here's a nice article on it as well --

https://www.cnet.com/news/google-doodle ... -clemente/
DemDog

Clemente on Google

Post by DemDog »

Thanks for posting that fact mouse. You beat me to it by about an hour. What a player he was and I am so happy that I got to see him play almost his entire career.
Quail

Clemente on Google

Post by Quail »

What a great way to start my day! Open my browser and there's The Great One!! Like you, Possum, I consider myself to be incredibly fortunate to have seen Roberto play for many years.
DemDog

Clemente on Google

Post by DemDog »

1337232B2E420 wrote: What a great way to start my day! Open my browser and there's The Great One!! Like you, Possum, I consider myself to be incredibly fortunate to have seen Roberto play for many years.

He certainly earned the moniker "The Great One" during his shortened career and lifetime. He was the greatest ballplayer I have the pleasure of seeing perform in my lifetime. Thanks for the great memories "Bobby"
Ecbucs

Clemente on Google

Post by Ecbucs »

I applaud Google's move to recognize Clemente today. When I first saw it I was surprised but then Google's explanation about earthquake made sense.

Does anyone know if Google uses this story throughout the world or does it vary from country to country?
Bobster21

Clemente on Google

Post by Bobster21 »

Even as a kid and as a teenager being an avid Pirate fan before big money took over MLB and before 24 hour sports networks I understood the difference between large and small markets. Back them it was less a financial issue (Yankees notwithstanding) and more of a publicity matter. We didn't get to see other teams on TV except for the NBC Saturday game of the week and they favored the big market cities. Sports highlights were a 5 minute segment on the local newscast. But everyone knew about Mantle and Maris in NY, Mays (NY-SF), Koufax and Drysdale in LA, Yaz in Boston. If any teams got national attention it was them in their larger cities. Others got known for accomplishments like Aaron and Frank Robinson. In Pittsburgh it seemed like only we knew what a superstar we had in Clemente. And it was an issue with Clemente as well. He knew how good he was and was proud of it but rarely heard his name mentioned along with those others. The other players knew but people around the country were not seeing highlights of Pirate games, they were rarely seen on the game of the week and newspapers had nothing more than a paragraph blurb about every game other than the home team. Fans of other NL teams knew about him and others saw him once a year in All-Star games surrounded by the other big name stars. But that was about the extent of his national exposure.

But as a young Pirate fan I was so proud that we had a star as good as any of those others whether the rest of the country realized t or not. And the 1971 WS was like a storybook fable as the entire country got to see all of Clemente's talent on display. It was almost surreal. Star players don't always have great series. Ted Williams was in 1 WS and hit .200 with 0 HRs and 1 RBI. Barry Bonds never had a good playoff for the Pirates. There's no guarantee that great players will perform greatly in a short series. But Clemente in 1971 looked like something out of a video game. Unstoppable. Running, sliding, throwing, hitting safely in every game, .414 BA, 2 2Bs, 1 3B, 2 HRs, MVP. And this was against the Orioles' legendary staff of four 20 game winners. And I just wanted to yell, "You see?! That's OUR star! He's been playing that way his whole career!" At that point there probably wasn't a baseball fan in the country who didn't realize what an outstanding player Clemente was, even if it took a long time to get his due.
BucsFaninGA

Clemente on Google

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Posted the Clemente Google story on my Facebook on Friday. Can't say how much joy and great memories #21 brought to this lifelong Pirates Fan. Sure wish they would retire Clemente's #21.

He was everything a baseball player should be...

Beat'em Bucs 8-)