Pirates have signed Kang for 2019

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

NJBucsFan

Post by NJBucsFan »

From the Pirates Twitter feed, no details that I can find.

ANNOUNCED: The Pirates have signed free agent infielder Jung Ho Kang to a one-year contract for the 2019 season.

It's got to be a decent bit less than 5.5 million, hopefully low risk with potential decent reward, if only to fill the super sub position.
Osushawn

Post by Osushawn »

Great news. I can continue to wear my Kang jersey for another year
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

I count this as good news too (and surprising to me).
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

1F39382F39295A0 wrote: I count this as good news too (and surprising to me).
Well they clearly didn't stick with him for 2.5 years or whatever just to decline his option and let him go.
CTBucco

Post by CTBucco »

Like others, I’m happily surprised. When he wasn’t resigned by last Friday and all other teams got a shot at him, I figured it was less than 50-50 that he’d be back. Low risk, high upside. Good re-signing.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Good news. Tho he'll go to ST without a starting job, I suspect he will force Hurdle to use him quite a bit. He'll have more power than anyone else on the roster and this team lacks power. And he's a huge defensive upgrade over Moran. It would be great if he could work out at all 4 infield positions in ST and at least be a sub at all four spots. And he'll likely play 3B vs all LHP as well as some RHP.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Sweet. This checks off one of my 4 offseason priorities.

1. Sign Kang for a Kang/Moran platoon at 3B (or maybe Kang ends up winning the job outright).

2. Sign a LH hitting OF to hold down RF until Polanco is ready, and then become a key guy on bench. (Granderson?)

3. Sign an elite veteran glove at SS. (Hechavarria?)

4. Sign a legit LH starting pitcher. (Would love Happ but would settle for a Gio type).

1 down, 3 to go.
BenM

Post by BenM »

I just hope the team makes sure that he can not drive in the States.

Not kidding.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

745954454253440407360 wrote: Good news. Tho he'll go to ST without a starting job, I suspect he will force Hurdle to use him quite a bit. He'll have more power than anyone else on the roster and this team lacks power. And he's a huge defensive upgrade over Moran. It would be great if he could work out at all 4 infield positions in ST and at least be a sub at all four spots. And he'll likely play 3B vs all LHP as well as some RHP.
I'm still wait-and-see about what he's actually going to give us. I think people are getting ahead of themselves with what to expect.

I think that if the Pirates had gone out and signed an outside 32 year old who hadn't played major league ball since 2016, fans would be less than excited. I'm guessing that they would say it's a fine risk to take as long as it's a minor league deal.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

093533352E273128460 wrote: Great news.  I can continue to wear my Kang jersey for another year

Not so quick about the jersey. If Newman sticks out of ST then he most likely wears #27. So you have to get a new one anyway. Good ploy on Bucs part, more money in the coffers. >:(