Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Pirates Sign Jordan Lyles

Post by fjk090852-7 »

According to MLB Trade Rumors the Bucs have a deal with Jordan Lyles
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Yeah I don't know. He hasn't really been a FT starter in a few years and then wasn't that great.
BucsFaninGA

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Wow, what a find! I'm being sarcastic. We trade Nova to sign Lyles. A diamond in the rough? Is this the only starter we are goign to sign? If so, we are pathetically cheap and have lost a vision of really being a contender. You don't sign has been's and dump a starter to build a contending team. All I can say is jeez... >:(
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Lyles has 2 career HRs and the Pirates need hitting. ;)
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

0235233306212E292E0701400 wrote: Wow, what a find! I'm being sarcastic. We trade Nova to sign Lyles. A diamond in the rough? Is this the only starter we are goign to sign? If so, we are pathetically cheap and have lost a vision of really being a contender. You don't sign has been's and dump a starter to build a contending team. All I can say is jeez... >:(

It's hard to analyze any move the Pirates make without looking at the money issue. I understand not wanting to pay Nova 9.2 million to be their 4th or 5th best starter unless they see the inclusion of him in the rotation as a key cog on a contending Pirates team. But they can see they don't even shape up as the 3rd best team in their own division much less a legit WC contender. The infield is problematic. Little power from the corners and no real SS yet. And both Bell and Moran are weak gloves. Polanco is out until June. Dickerson only hit 13 HRs last season and 20 was a career high for Marte. The Pirates don't have a good team OBP and lack power. So scoring runs is a real problem. If the pitching is good enough they might get to .500 or slightly above. And that's with Nova. If the Bucs looked like legit contenders in 2019 I would want every advantage and having Nova at the back end of the rotation would be better than a cheaper replacement. Unfortunately, this doesn't look like a contending team even with Nova so saving 9.2 million makes sense. Maybe Lyles will resurrect his career or Kingham or Keller will get a chance and shine. Either way, I don't think losing Nova will be much of a difference maker in the NL Central race.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I don't think Lyles is the new fifth starter. Since 2016 he has 133 appearances only 18 of which are starts.  
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

3F3332696069616C6B746E590 wrote: According to MLB Trade Rumors the Bucs have a deal with Jordan Lyles

Typical move ... reclamation project.
BucsFaninGA

Post by BucsFaninGA »

I hope so Sammy, I truly hope so! :o
Quail

Post by Quail »

6C414C5D5A4B5C1C1F2E0 wrote: Lyles has 2 career HRs and the Pirates need hitting.  ;)

Not only has Lyles got more power but his lifetime BA/OPS is .122/.351 compared to Nova's .042/0.83. He's also nearly 4 years younger, an inch shorter and weighs 20 pounds less than Nova. If the Pirates can teach him to pitch left-handed like Candelaria, steal bases like Moreno and pilot the team-charter like Yeager, he'll be the best Pirate FA signing ever!! Great work NH!!!! :D
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

He is a reliever.