Reds pull off blockbuster

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

Reds get Puig, Kemp, Wood , and Farmer from Dodgers for Bailey and 2 prospects. Pirates will probably finish in last place!
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

Yeah. Hamilton's non-production is now replaced by Kemp and Puig, and Wood is a much better pitcher than Bailey.

And, with the news that the Cards are now getting Miller, the Pirates' chances for next year seem to be sinking oh so fast.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

62474444517A474F4D5A280 wrote: Reds get Puig, Kemp, Wood , and Farmer from Dodgers for Bailey and 2 prospects. Pirates will probably finish in last place!

The Reds are trying to get better and damn the cost. I wonder how much higher the Reds payroll will be than the Pirates? (even though we all know that you can have a big payroll and not win).
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

It feels like EVERYBODY IS AT LEAST TRYING TO WIN ... except for one team.

And that team "feels good about its internal options," so it doesn't need to make any moves.

Kingham, Brault and Lyles are superb candidates for the No. 5 starter.

Kingham/Gonzalez is an excellent plan for SS.

Chisenhall/Reyes is a fullproof plan for RF.

Yeah, we're fine ... thank goodness for our INTERNAL OPTIONS !!!
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

0624372A292C2B24073026262A450 wrote: It feels like EVERYBODY IS AT LEAST TRYING TO WIN ... except for one team.

And that team "feels good about its internal options," so it doesn't need to make any moves.

Kingham, Brault and Lyles are superb candidates for the No. 5 starter.

Kingham/Gonzalez is an excellent plan for SS.

Chisenhall/Reyes is a fullproof plan for RF.

Yeah, we're fine ... thank goodness for our INTERNAL OPTIONS !!!

This is how TBMTIB operates. Sadly, we expect nothing more.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Is the key to this trade the fact that the Dodgers wanted to stay below the luxury tax threshold? By dumping Puig and Kemp? The kids the Reds sent to the Dodgers are their #5 prospect in Downs and #11 in Gray according to Call to the Pen a Reds blog site.

Even if the Bucs had the money to spend they don't have the prospects like that to send to the Dodgers. Damn shame we traded a few at the deadline for nowhere near this return.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

7E5F577E555D3A0 wrote: Is the key to this trade the fact that the Dodgers wanted to stay below the luxury tax threshold?  By dumping Puig and Kemp?  The kids the Reds sent to the Dodgers are their #5 prospect in Downs and #11 in Gray according to Call to the Pen a Reds blog site.

Even if the Bucs had the money to spend they don't have the prospects like that to send to the Dodgers.  Damn shame we traded a few at the deadline for nowhere near this return.

one rumor that I heard is that the Dodgers wanted payroll flexibility to sign Harper. Whether he wants to go there is another matter.
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

Pretty sure the Dodgers are planning to sign Harper.

Damn shame that the Pirates with their payroll now under 70M could offer Harper 40M a year and still be under the payrolls of everybody in the NL Central. Of course I doubt Harper would ever consider signing with Pittsburgh.

The Pirates have NEVER signed a first tier free agent that wasn’t named Kendall. Until they throw their hat in that game; no free agent will take the Pirates seriously.
BenM

Post by BenM »

I was checking the Reds payroll after the trade. Both Puig and Wood are arbitration eligible next season. So, while they are free agents after 2019, they are still relatively cheap. (Years of control baby!)

Matt Kemp, who will also be a free agent in 2020 will make $18 million. Which is probably going to be about a quarter of the Pirates payroll.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Now I see the A's traded for Jurickson Profar, who would have looked really good in a Pirates uniform next year, and from what I can tell they sure didn't give up much for him.

I'm guessing after about 500 offseason transactions we'll be down to the very bottom of the barrel and the level where the Pirates can start wheelin' and dealin'.