Reviving interest in baseball in Pittsburgh

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

Cut prices in half, plus all kids 14 and under get in free. That would work I think.
TBird

Post by TBird »

UGH! No freeking way for kids to be free.. One of the reasons that I don't go to games , finaces is one of them, is that kids run around like crazy.. Parents don't care about them behaving and yet I feel like I am a babysitter instead of watching and enjoying the game.. >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
gileszee

Post by gileszee »

Or...invest another 30 to 40 million in MLB payroll and put a legit contender on the field. Place was packed 7 years ago when we were a top tiered team.

Pittsburgher's are not stupid, they know when they are getting jobbed.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

212F2A23353C2323460 wrote: Or...invest another 30 to 40 million in MLB payroll and put a legit contender on the field.  Place was packed 7 years ago when we were a top tiered team. 

This. The only way to revive interest in the team is to win. Pierogi races, Bucaroos ask the Bucs, Cervelli relationship advice, What's in the Treasure Chest, Bucs Trivia, hot dog tosses, t-shirt tosses, or any of the other gimmicks they do in between innings don't work. Fireworks nights, bobblehead giveaways, free shirt Fridays, none of that works either. There is one thing and one thing only that will build a fan base in Pittsburgh and put butts in seats, and that's putting a higher number in the W column.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I'd go to more games if they got it together and finally built that maglev to the airport that they've been talking about for 150 years. I just hate driving into DT these days, for anything basically.
TBird

Post by TBird »

New ownership??!?! I must be dreaming on that one. :D ::) :P
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

050D0E392F0A2D224C0 wrote: Or...invest another 30 to 40 million in MLB payroll and put a legit contender on the field.  Place was packed 7 years ago when we were a top tiered team. 

This. The only way to revive interest in the team is to win. Pierogi races, Bucaroos ask the Bucs, Cervelli relationship advice, What's in the Treasure Chest, Bucs Trivia, hot dog tosses, t-shirt tosses, or any of the other gimmicks they do in between innings don't work. Fireworks nights, bobblehead giveaways, free shirt Fridays, none of that works either. There is one thing and one thing only that will build a fan base in Pittsburgh and put butts in seats, and that's putting a higher number in the W column.
They set a franchise attendance record in 2015 when they won 98 games. And in 2016 they began to weaken the team and lower the payroll. I'm sure Nutting is not a fool when it comes to business. In 2015 he saw how winning dramatically effected attendance. So apparently that doesn't matter to him. 2015 was the closest the Nutting regime ever got to the MLB average for total payroll.

They were 30 million under the MLB average in 2015. Attendance 2.49 million.

They were 35 million under the MLB average in 2016. Attendance 2.24 million.

They were 42 million under the MLB average in 2017. Attendance1.92 million.

They were 48 million under the MLB average in 2018. Attendance 1.46 million.

They are 58 million under the MLB average in 2019. Attendance 403,690 after 24 home dates.

There's a clear pattern. It appears Nutting does better with lower payroll and lower attendance than with better attendance but higher payroll. Seems like winning just wasn't worth it to him.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

587578696E7F68282B1A0 wrote: Or...invest another 30 to 40 million in MLB payroll and put a legit contender on the field.  Place was packed 7 years ago when we were a top tiered team. 

They set a franchise attendance record in 2015 when they won 98 games. And in 2016 they began to weaken the team and lower the payroll. I'm sure Nutting is not a fool when it comes to business. In 2015 he saw how winning dramatically effected attendance. So apparently that doesn't matter to him. 2015 was the closest the Nutting regime ever got to the MLB average for total payroll.

They were 30 million under the MLB average in 2015. Attendance 2.49 million.

They were 35 million under the MLB average in 2016. Attendance 2.24 million.

They were 42 million under the MLB average in 2017. Attendance1.92 million. 

They were 48 million under the MLB average in 2018. Attendance 1.46 million.

They are 58 million under the MLB average in 2019. Attendance 403,690 after 24 home dates. 

There's a clear pattern. It appears Nutting does better with lower payroll and lower attendance than with better attendance but higher payroll. Seems like winning just wasn't worth it to him.

Well, when most of your revenue comes from T.V. deals anyway, and you had the MLBAM sale throwing another, what, $50 million, to the bottom line, you have to be pretty stupid to lose money in MLB. Honestly, a monkey could go out and make money running an MLB franchise. All you gotta do is show up. But hey, not like a winning team would offer leverage in negotiating a new TV deal or anything...
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

0B0300372104232C420 wrote: Or...invest another 30 to 40 million in MLB payroll and put a legit contender on the field.  Place was packed 7 years ago when we were a top tiered team. 

This. The only way to revive interest in the team is to win. [highlight]Pierogi races, Bucaroos ask the Bucs, Cervelli relationship advice, What's in the Treasure Chest, Bucs Trivia, hot dog tosses, t-shirt tosses, or any of the other gimmicks they do in between innings don't work. Fireworks nights, bobblehead giveaways, free shirt Fridays, none of that works either. [/highlight]There is one thing and one thing only that will build a fan base in Pittsburgh and put butts in seats, and that's putting a higher number in the W column.

these are all strategies that minor league teams use where winning doesn't matter. At the major league level they are just perks.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Couldn't believe my eyes. This link sent to me by my kid in Seattle. What a way to get folks to the game.

Stitch n Pitch

As a crocheter (due to health reasons) I often sit and watch the games on tv. Crocheting helps keep my mind off Joe

Block's announcing.