Do not tear down this team!

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

Terrible injuries. Horrific pitching. No pitching depth. Bullpen disaster. It would be easy to say tear it down and rebuild.

I say there is way too much talent to do that.

Bell- possible MVP

Reynolds-Rookie of the Year

Cabrera-Best utility 4th outfielder in the game

Marte-Now at .280 on pace for 20-25 HR 30-50SB

Moran- on pace for 25HR and 100 RBI’s

Newman-.300 hitting SS with speed

Dickerson-Proven 20+HR .300 hitter Gold Golve

Diaz- High average, great arm solid catcher

If Polanco ever reaches his potential you have one of the most solid lineups in baseball.

I don’t know what pitching is available in the off season, but it would certainly be time to FINALLY have a respectable payroll and invest in a couple of solid starters or bullpen arms.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

There's only one problem ...

Ownership has ZERO INTEREST in constructing a good team.

ZERO.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

684D4E4E5B704D454750220 wrote: Terrible injuries. Horrific pitching. No pitching depth. Bullpen disaster. It would be easy to say tear it down and rebuild.

Bell- possible MVP

If Polanco ever reaches his potential you have one of the most solid lineups in baseball.

I don’t know what pitching is available in the off season, but it would certainly be time to FINALLY have a respectable payroll and invest in a couple of solid starters or bullpen arms.

We have a pretty good offense that is clicking.  Two of the guys you mentioned (Melky and Dickerson) will be traded.  Neither will be resigned.  Reynolds, I love the kid.  He isn't going to be the ROY.  The Alonso kid from the Mets looks like the winner. Let's see where Marte finishes. He is streaky.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

1909083F2929254A0 wrote: Terrible injuries. Horrific pitching. No pitching depth. Bullpen disaster. It would be easy to say tear it down and rebuild.

Bell- possible MVP

We have a pretty good offense that is clicking.  Two of the guys you mentioned (Melky and Dickerson) will be traded.  Neither will be resigned.  Reynolds, I love the kid.  He isn't going to be the ROY.  The Alonso kid from the Mets looks like the winner.  Let's see where Marte finishes.  He is streaky.
If the Pirates eventually trade Melky and Dickerson you hope they acquire some players which strengthens their pitching and catching depth.
maher.timothy20@gm

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

Theyre maddeningly close in some ways but refused to sign any free agents that would have given them depth.

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Dickerson and Cabrera are FAs after the season so I expect them both to be dealt at the deadline. But I would like to see Dickerson re-signed before then. He gets 8.5 million this year. Polanco will get 8.6 in 2020, 11.6 in 2021 and then there are team options of 12.5 and 13.5 for 2022 and 2023. But Polanco is nowhere near the player Dickerson is. If they could get Dickerson to sign for roughly what Polanco gets and then trade Polanco, they'd have a better player for the same money. Of course Dickerson might not want to remain with the organization but the FA market has been down in recent years so he might not get huge offers to go elsewhere. Unfortunately, the apathetic Pirates seem satisfied with Polanco hitting .250-something every year and playing poor defense and not knowing how to run the bases. So Dickerson will in all likelihood be gone by 7/31.
mouse

Post by mouse »

Last night's outfield defensive setup would be my preferred setup going forward. You do have to be patient and allow players to develop (the plight of relying on those one- to three-year players) but the Pirates do seem to accept bad defense in the hope that maybe in the future a player will turn out to be a good hitter. They are more patient in the regard than I would like, but who can say which approach is right. I wanted to trade Pedro the year he had all the home runs, on the theory he would never be more valuable, and that was so. I also would have looked to trade Bell, so . . .
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

123F32232435226261500 wrote: Dickerson and Cabrera are FAs after the season so I expect them both to be dealt at the deadline. But I would like to see Dickerson re-signed before then. He gets 8.5 million this year. Polanco will get 8.6 in 2020, 11.6 in 2021 and then there are team options of 12.5 and 13.5 for 2022 and 2023. But Polanco is nowhere near the player Dickerson is. If they could get Dickerson to sign for roughly what Polanco gets and then trade Polanco, they'd have a better player for the same money. Of course Dickerson might not want to remain with the organization but the FA market has been down in recent years so he might not get huge offers to go elsewhere. Unfortunately, the apathetic Pirates seem satisfied with Polanco hitting .250-something every year and playing poor defense and not knowing how to run the bases. So Dickerson will in all likelihood be gone by 7/31.

They are paying Melky a paltry 1.15M. Where are you going to find that type of production for that price. They need to resign him for depth. Dickerson will not net us a quality pitcher unless he starts tearing it up for the next 6 weeks. I agree with you that Polanco would be the one to see what type of return we could get. However I have lost some confidence in NH’s ability to judge talent and to trade Polanco for another pitching bust would hurt.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

092C2F2F3A112C242631430 wrote: Dickerson and Cabrera are FAs after the season so I expect them both to be dealt at the deadline. But I would like to see Dickerson re-signed before then. He gets 8.5 million this year. Polanco will get 8.6 in 2020, 11.6 in 2021 and then there are team options of 12.5 and 13.5 for 2022 and 2023. But Polanco is nowhere near the player Dickerson is. If they could get Dickerson to sign for roughly what Polanco gets and then trade Polanco, they'd have a better player for the same money. Of course Dickerson might not want to remain with the organization but the FA market has been down in recent years so he might not get huge offers to go elsewhere. Unfortunately, the apathetic Pirates seem satisfied with Polanco hitting .250-something every year and playing poor defense and not knowing how to run the bases. So Dickerson will in all likelihood be gone by 7/31.

They are paying Melky a paltry 1.15M. Where are you going to find that type of production for that price. They need to resign him for depth. Dickerson will not net us a quality pitcher unless he starts tearing it up for the next 6 weeks. I agree with you that Polanco would be the one to see what type of return we could get. However I have lost some confidence in NH’s ability to judge talent and to trade Polanco for another pitching bust would hurt.
I'd love to see Melky stay. But I don't think he would. He signed on the cheap this time, taking a minor league deal and not even sure he'd make the team. But I think he has used this season to prove he still has a lot of worth and will get some good offers from contending teams that see a valuable bench piece. Also, he'll be 35 in August and doesn't have too much more time to find a contender. So I think he'll get enough offers from better teams to ensure he won't be a Pirate next year, even if NH offered him a competitive contract, which would be very much unlike NH.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

I agree with trading Polanco. He is a talented but flawed player. His hitting can be top notch but it is very streaky. His defense, which was supposed to be really good is far from that. He would be a nice final piece for a team that is on the rebound but not as the major piece in the OF.

As for Melky, would love to have him around but I do think that should be moved on perhaps by letting him walk at the end of the season. For some reason I like Melky and think he is a good influence on the kids in the OF.

Then comes Dickerson. If we can sign him to an extension even a bit of an overpay say for 3 years then we should do it. But TBMTIB never overpays except in trades for a pitcher who was on the downside of his career. But once you get Dickerson signed what type of player do you want him to be. A hitter who swings for the fences and hits the HR or one who is more patient and hits for a higher average and fewer HRs? He has proven he can do both but not together.