Dickerson is on the trading block

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

NJBucsFan

Post by NJBucsFan »

Is it possible to sell any lower? Last year he might have netted a lot, but he hasn't shown anything yet this year and is off an extended injury. This would be subtraction by subtraction unless you can get a good arm for him, which seems unlikely.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/06/ ... umors.html
notes34

Post by notes34 »

Yeah I don't like it. I would let him try to establish some value before considering anything. I think Dickerson is a pretty good player.
mouse

Post by mouse »

Being on the block doesn't mean a trade is happening today or tomorrow (baring some really desperate team -- in which case the Pirates could possibly get a journeyman pitcher type back). It just means the Pirates have let it be known that he's an outfielder they would trade. Teams wanting outfielders can check him out over the next few weeks and come to a conclusion as to what they think he's worth, based on how he plays in the interim.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

585A404650350 wrote: Being on the block doesn't mean a trade is happening today or tomorrow (baring some really desperate team -- in which case the Pirates could possibly get a journeyman pitcher type back). It just means the Pirates have let it be known that he's an outfielder they would trade. Teams wanting outfielders can check him out over the next few weeks and come to a conclusion as to what they think he's worth, based on how he plays in the interim.
That's right. Also, Dickerson is a FA in 2020 and we know the Pirates don't make competitive offers for FAs. So even if Dickerson was 100% healthy and having an All-Star season, the Pirates would still be looking to deal him by the new deadline of 7/31. And that's now just 7 weeks away. Dickerson would get a lot of interest if teams were satisfied with his health and saw him producing. So this just seems like a heads up to other MLB teams to keep Dickerson in mind for a trade. And it won't be much of a trade because Dickerson would only be with his new team thru the end of the season unless he decided to sign with them as a FA after the season. I'm sure he'll get chances to showcase himself in the upcoming weeks.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

The only thing good in trading Dickerson will be the $s he saves Nutting so he can put it in his profit coffers.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

There is only one player that makes perfect sense to trade: Marte. Almost miraculously his value is rising and I suspect the Pirates can get good value for him now. It won’t be long until Marte will be facing FA status: trade him now while there is real value. Sign Dickerson to a three year deal. Reynolds, Dickerson Polanco can be a very good outfield.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

5F7E765F747C1B0 wrote: The only thing good in trading Dickerson will be the $s he saves Nutting so he can put it in his profit coffers.

Well, another good thing is that maybe we'll make a team that doesn't have seven outfielders but two pitchers.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

4E7C70706456757C71747B7C1D0 wrote: The only thing good in trading Dickerson will be the $s he saves Nutting so he can put it in his profit coffers.

Well, another good thing is that maybe we'll make a team that doesn't have seven outfielders but two pitchers.
;D ;D ;D

I think NH is bad at math. Last year he thought 2 outfielders was the correct number.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

I like Dickerson. I know they need to showcase him for a trade before 7/31 due to his FA status. So I would like to see a lot more of Dickerson at the expense of Polanco. It might even help the team win a few more games. He's just a better ballplayer than Polanco. Polanco's only advantage was a strong arm but now he can't throw well (Dickerson never could). And unlike Polanco, Dickerson is not a liability on the bases or in the OF. Dickerson has as much power as Polanco. He's had HR seasons of 24, 24 and 27. Polanco's best HRs seasons are 22 and 23. Dickerson is a career .283 hitter with seasons of .312, .304, .300 and .282. Polanco is a career .252 hitter whose career best was .258. Polanco's shoulder is not 100%. Ironically, Dickerson is also coming off a shoulder injury. But if he's able, he should get as much PT as possible, both to showcase him for a trade and to improve the team's chances of winning. And that would also give Polanco more time to rest his shoulder.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I actually do like all of our current outfielders for different reasons, and I DO wish they could all play using the new NH rules of baseball. ;)

As it is, as long as they think he's healthy, I don't know what two or three more weeks of playing will do to raise Dickerson's trade value (he has a pretty long track record).

So in that regard I wouldn't be shocked (surprised but not shocked) if the move was sooner than later. I mean we do have a definite surplus in one part of team and a clear deficit in another (to put it politely).