Jacob Stallings

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Jacob Stallings

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I heard an interview with Musgrove today, and he had a lot of praise for Jacob Stallings. Stallings caught a bullpen session for Musgrove prior to his Wednesday start, and during the game Stallings had a few conversations with Musgrove while on the bench. In today’s game Stallings caught Archer, and Archer had one of his better outings. Just a guess, but I doubt the Bucs will try to pass Stallings through waivers again this season. I bet we don’t see Cervelli until early August, and somehow Stallings will incur a muscle strain. Stallings will go on the IL, then he will rehab at Indy, and return September 1st. Stallings and Diaz will share the catching duties next season.
SteadyFreddy

Jacob Stallings

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Yea the Pirates at this point have no choice but to move on from Cervelli. He is making way too much money and just does not stay healthy enough to justify keeping him around after this season. I believe we have seen enough of Stallings to know he can be a very good backup serviceable catcher in the Major League’s to Diaz similar to what someone like Chris Stewart was when he was here a few years back. But at this point if you’re the Pirates you basically have to move on from Cervelli after this season the time has come.
Ecbucs

Jacob Stallings

Post by Ecbucs »

56716064617C43776061617C050 wrote: Yea the Pirates at this point have no choice but to move on from Cervelli. He is making way too much money and just does not stay healthy enough to justify keeping him around after this season. I believe we have seen enough of Stallings to know he can be a very good backup serviceable catcher in the Major League’s to Diaz similar to what someone like Chris Stewart was when he was here a few years back. But at this point if you’re the Pirates you basically have to move on from Cervelli after this season the time has come.

yeah, I like Cervelli but it sure looks like he shouldn't go behind the plate anymore. That takes his value away. If he could even be a back up catcher and play 40 or 50 games there he would be valuable. This current concussion would scare the crap out of me.
ScottinMass

Jacob Stallings

Post by ScottinMass »

Agreed on Stallings. 2 starts in a row with Archer and both have been pretty good. I say Stallings is the back-up catcher until Uncle Ray retires and then Stallings moves right into Pitching Coach job.
maher.timothy20@gm

Jacob Stallings

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

I wouldn't be surprised if Cervelli retires after this year, or is forced to retire. There's no way the Pirates will want him anyway, they'll happily go with Diaz/Stallings.

And unless he gets back in the lineup and starts knocking the crap out of the ball, I'm not sure any other team will want him either.
Bobster21

Jacob Stallings

Post by Bobster21 »

3F333A37207C263B3F3D263A2B606212353F520 wrote: I wouldn't be surprised if Cervelli retires after this year, or is forced to retire. There's no way the Pirates will want him anyway, they'll happily go with Diaz/Stallings.

And unless he gets back in the lineup and starts knocking the crap out of the ball, I'm not sure any other team will want him either.
His contract expires after this season and they surely won't re-sign him as a free agent. If he wants to continue to play, he won't have much value to other teams because of his injury history, especially the concussions which frequently require him to miss time in the protocol. But I suspect he would receive offers at a greatly reduced salary to be a backup catcher somewhere. Cervelli loves to play and I can't see him retiring as long as he can continue, even as a backup. But it won't be with the Pirates.
UtahPirate

Jacob Stallings

Post by UtahPirate »

63535F4444595E7D514343300 wrote: Agreed on Stallings. 2 starts in a row with Archer and both have been pretty good. I say Stallings is the back-up catcher until Uncle Ray retires and then Stallings moves right into Pitching Coach job.

I chuckled at this. I was watching Archer and Stallings talk the other day between innings and I was going to post that Stallings is going to be our manager in the future. Coaching, managing is in his blood. And I suspect he'll be a good one.

I feel really bad for Cervelli. After that last concussion he was so deflated. He seemed to know what it was of big significance. Wouldn't surprise me to see him stay in the organization as a coach either. But he has to be careful with his long-term health at this point. Some of this information coming out about the long-term affect of concussions is really frightening.

Just as an aside, I get a kick out of watching Archer gab with other players both on the field and between innings. Goes strongly against the "don't bother my concentration between innings" approach that almost all pitchers take.
DemDog

Jacob Stallings

Post by DemDog »

I feel fine with Stallings as the #1 back up the rest of this season and in 2020 but do think the Bucs need to find another backup for dept. There are really none that are any good in the upper levels so they may have to get outside the organization to find such a player.

As for Cervelli, I would hire him as a coach in a minute. I like the upbeat all-out competitiveness he possesses and his willingness to work with younger players.
fjk090852-7

Jacob Stallings

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Just read that Cervelli is hoping to begin a minor league rehab this week with the hope to join the team in Milwaukee next weekend. Somehow they have to retain Stallings, because it appears he works very well with the pitchers. I think he is very knowledgeable as to pitch selection, and in my opinion they should not expose him to a waiver claim if Cervelli returns.
IABucFan

Jacob Stallings

Post by IABucFan »

303C3D666F666E63647B61560 wrote: Just read that Cervelli is hoping to begin a minor league rehab this week with the hope to join the team in Milwaukee next weekend. Somehow they have to retain Stallings, because it appears he works very well with the pitchers. I think he is very knowledgeable as to pitch selection, and in my opinion they should not expose him to a waiver claim if Cervelli returns.

I never would have said this during the off-season, but you’re right. Stallings has proven to be a very capable MLB backup. I’ve been saying for over a year that Diaz is our best catcher both offensively and defensively. I’m perfectly content going into 2020 with him as the starter, but every team needs a backup, and Stallings has been very good. Wouldn’t shock me if he winds up with a phantom injury, until Cervelli inevitably gets hurt again.