5. Colin Moran (L) 3B

6. Jose Osuna (R) RF

7. Kevin Newman (R) SS

8. Jacob Stallings (R) C

9. Chris Archer (R) P
BenM

Pirates vs. Mets - 8/3 - Game Thread

Post by BenM »

$8.25 million team option for Archer next year.

Do the Pirates pick it up?
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

22050E2D600 wrote: $8.25 million team option for Archer next year.

Not at that salary for an "Opener" and not a really good one either. Actually, I don't think they have any choice. Who are they going to use in his place? If he can be a .500 pitcher next year and keep them in more games he is worth it. But in 2021 who knows.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Greg Brown was talking about what a big crowd they had. He forgot to mention that it's Fireworks Night.
PMike

Post by PMike »

48696148636B0C0 wrote: $8.25 million team option for Archer next year.

Not at that salary for an "Opener" and not a really good one either.  Actually, I don't think they have any choice.  Who are they going to use in his place?  If he can be a .500 pitcher next year and keep them in more games he is worth it.  But in 2021 who knows.

I agree. They don't have any options and they won't go out and do something better in free agency.

I didn't like the Archer trade when it happened. I was (and still am) fine with Meadows and Baz. I hated adding Glasnow. I thought Archer had the potential to be a really good pitcher for them. I hoped for the AJ Burnett experience part 2. Worst case scenario, I expected a 4.20-4.40 ERA pitcher. This is so bad from him. He had not been pitching great over the last couple years, but not anywhere near this bad.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Not picking up Archer's option would be an admission that NH made a horrible trade. Which would beg the question, "Why is this guy on a 4-year extension?" They will pick up the option. Gotta save face. Plus, they are in desperate need of starters. Unfortunately, Archer can't be their 5th starter. This is his 4th straight declining season. I suspect his days as an effective starter are over. If they could replace him in the rotation (which wouldn't take much) maybe they could put Archer in the BP next year and if he did well, they might be able to trade him and salvage something of the trade.
BenM

Post by BenM »

Given how shaky both starters were, it's amazing we made it to the eighth 3-2..

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Feliz and Crick have just been outstanding tonight.
BenM

Post by BenM »

Wasn't the bullpen supposed to be a strength coming into this season?
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

10373C1F520 wrote: Wasn't the bullpen supposed to be a strength coming into this season?

building a bullpen is what NH does best, usually for a song.