Who is the #6 prospect for 2020

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

psuinpgh21

Post by psuinpgh21 »

Sorry, I didn't think this poll was up until now. Swaggin' into #5 Adding Aaron Shortridge. As always, taking requests for new adds.

The results so far:

1. Mitch Keller, SP, 23, AAA/ML, 63.2% of the votes

2. Ke'Bryan Hayes, 3B, 22, AAA 79.6% of the votes

3. O'Neil Cruz, 21, SS?, High A, 71.7% of the votes

4. Quinn Priester, 19, SP, Rookie, 23.6% of the votes, won run-off for #4

5. Travis Swaggerty, 22, OF, High A, 42.6% of the votes.
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

Thomas for me, and it's not close.

As a reminder, he's the fangraph's scouting report on him heading into last season.

Newly acquired from Cleveland as part of the Erik Gonzalez/Jordan Loplow trade, Thomas immediately becomes the most athletic, projectable pitcher in this system. A converted shortstop, he has very little on-mound experience and yet his stuff, feel for location, and breaking ball release are already pretty advanced. His fastball and curveball project to plus pretty easily, and his arm speed/action are promising as far as changeup projection is concerned. His delivery resembles that of Triston McKenzie and it creates a tough-to-squaure, flat angle up in the zone that should allow Thomas to miss bats with his fastball.

And a reminder, Thomas as a 19 year old in the appalachian league (age appropriate level) pitched 48 innings (his most as a pro), and pitched those innings to a 3.17 ERA with an impressive 59:14 K to walk ratio. And those totals even account for his disastrous first two starts where he gave up 7 runs in less than 2 innings with a 1:5 k to bb ratio.

If Keller and Hayes graduate in 2020, I think he is the top prospect in the system at the end of this season.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

5D607E737C767D5F7760717776120 wrote: Thomas for me, and it's not close.

As a reminder, he's the fangraph's scouting report on him heading into last season.

Newly acquired from Cleveland as part of the Erik Gonzalez/Jordan Loplow trade, Thomas immediately becomes the most athletic, projectable pitcher in this system. A converted shortstop, he has very little on-mound experience and yet his stuff, feel for location, and breaking ball release are already pretty advanced. His fastball and curveball project to plus pretty easily, and his arm speed/action are promising as far as changeup projection is concerned. His delivery resembles that of Triston McKenzie and it creates a tough-to-squaure, flat angle up in the zone that should allow Thomas to miss bats with his fastball.

And a reminder, Thomas as a 19 year old in the appalachian league (age appropriate level) pitched 48 innings (his most as a pro), and pitched those innings to a 3.17 ERA with an impressive 59:14 K to walk ratio. And those totals even account for his disastrous first two starts where he gave up 7 runs in less than 2 innings with a 1:5 k to bb ratio.

If Keller and Hayes graduate in 2020, I think he is the top prospect in the system at the end of this season.

in a lot of ways I'm glad the Pirates took it fairly slow with him last year due to his lack of pitching experience. I checked his game logs and looks like he was on an 80 pitch count. He reached 82 one time. His last two starts were 2 of his best. Certainly someone to keep an eye on this season.

Will be interesting to see if he pitches around 100 innings and if his pitch count per game increases. Even with limited pitch count he went 5 innings 6 times and 6 innings once.
BenM

Post by BenM »

162B3538373D36143C2B3A3C3D590 wrote: Thomas for me, and it's not close.

OK, you've convinced me.
PMike

Post by PMike »

0A2D2605480 wrote: Thomas for me, and it's not close.

OK, you've convinced me.

Agreed! I voted for Martin, but I wish I would have voted for Thomas now!
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I want to see if he can do it for another season before rating him this highly.
SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

Must admit that this big showing of love for Thomas has moved him way up on my list. But I still like Bolton best. More track record there.
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

I looked at Bae, Bolton, Martin and Mitchell in this slot.

Bae is intriguing, but not sure he holds at SS, and he seems to be more of a slap type hitter. His value seems to be conditioned on sticking at SS.

Bolton had a great string of starts in A+ last year, but stunk in AA and doesn't really have the peripherals that would lead me to believe that he is more than a potential back end rotation candidate at his peak.

Martin to me is the "wait and see" prospect. The power is there for sure, but that dreadful 2018 is on the books. Best case scenario is he is a Gallo type player, but Gallo never had an extended period of struggles that Martin experienced, which makes me believe there are holes in his swing that could derail his progression.

Mitchell is the same way, prolonged periods of struggles in the lower minors in consecutive seasons. He's a corner outfielder so his value is all bat, which puts a limit on his prospect ceiling.

The fangraph's report on Thomas would lead one to believe that he was pretty much all projection heading in to last season. Those stats indicate more polish than we should have expected in terms of command/control.
SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

172A3439363C37153D2A3B3D3C580 wrote: I looked at Bae, Bolton, Martin and Mitchell in this slot.

Bae is intriguing, but not sure he holds at SS, and he seems to be more of a slap type hitter. His value seems to be conditioned on sticking at SS.

Bolton had a great string of starts in A+ last year, but stunk in AA and doesn't really have the peripherals that would lead me to believe that he is more than a potential back end rotation candidate at his peak.

Martin to me is the "wait and see" prospect. The power is there for sure, but that dreadful 2018 is on the books. Best case scenario is he is a Gallo type player, but Gallo never had an extended period of struggles that Martin experienced, which makes me believe there are holes in his swing that could derail his progression.

Mitchell is the same way, prolonged periods of struggles in the lower minors in consecutive seasons. He's a corner outfielder so his value is all bat, which puts a limit on his prospect ceiling.

The fangraph's report on Thomas would lead one to believe that he was pretty much all projection heading in to last season. Those stats indicate more polish than we should have expected in terms of command/control.
I also looked at Bae and Martin. Mitchell is the guy I have the biggest problem with, given that his bat doesn't carry him - at least so far. It'll be a while before I consider him, regardless of his high standing at the Official Site. Bolton may have needed some time to adjust to AA.