Ben Cherington

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

WildwoodDave

Ben Cherington

Post by WildwoodDave »

in the words of Ben Cherington, the new Gm "we are going to take our time and identify what we have". Well Ben, that shouldn't take too long.!!
shedman

Ben Cherington

Post by shedman »

"in the words of Ben Cherington, the new Gm "we are going to take our time and identify what we have" - Translation from corporate speak to English - We are going to reduce salaries and save Nutting some more money.
maher.timothy20@gm

Ben Cherington

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

This echoes what Derek Shelton says in today's PG. The excuse in so many words is: the previous management team had mishandled the staff so badly that we don't know if anybody we have is any good. Is Archer good? (Shrugs.) Is Trevor Williams any good still? (Shrugs.) Let's take this year and find out for sure!

Call 1-800-BUY-BUCS to get your tickets today.
SCBucco

Ben Cherington

Post by SCBucco »

132D2820332B2B2000253221440 wrote: in the words of Ben Cherington, the new Gm "we are going to take our time and identify what we have". Well Ben, that shouldn't take too long.!!

Any GM or assistant GM not in Pittsburgh last year should already know what you have and don't. I'm not buying this excuse. Any 5-year old knows Pittsburgh sucks at C, SP and RP for starters. Then you have the Polanco injury thing. It's not hard.
shedman

Ben Cherington

Post by shedman »

5E4E4F786E6E620D0 wrote: in the words of Ben Cherington, the new Gm "we are going to take our time and identify what we have". Well Ben, that shouldn't take too long.!!

Any GM or assistant GM not in Pittsburgh last year should already know what you have and don't.  I'm not buying this excuse.  Any 5-year old knows Pittsburgh sucks at C, SP and RP for starters.  Then you have the Polanco injury thing.  It's not hard.

---

Exactly, why not take what money we have and get a catcher, a SP, and 2 relievers and roll the dice.
SCBucco

Ben Cherington

Post by SCBucco »

3B202D2C252926480 wrote: in the words of Ben Cherington, the new Gm "we are going to take our time and identify what we have". Well Ben, that shouldn't take too long.!!

Any GM or assistant GM not in Pittsburgh last year should already know what you have and don't.  I'm not buying this excuse.  Any 5-year old knows Pittsburgh sucks at C, SP and RP for starters.  Then you have the Polanco injury thing.  It's not hard.

---

Exactly, why not take what money we have and get a catcher, a SP, and 2 relievers and roll the dice.

Because BC is a yes, Bob man. That is why. Cut the costs.
DemDog

Ben Cherington

Post by DemDog »

Come on guys, lighten up a bit on BC. You are not the only folks out there in the Pirate Fandom World who are thinking and saying the same thing. We asked BC to spend more money on FA, trade big pieces of the team (Marte, Bell, Fraser) and get some prospects back. Some have said just blow it up now and play the kids.

But, what we don't know is has BC asked BN what to do? Is he concerned that guys like Hayes, Keller, Tucker and Craig to name 4 guys are actually ready for the Big Show? What about guys like Archer, Williams, and Musgrove? Is there any way that the new coaching staff can help them improve so they can contribute now and in the future or perhaps be dealt at the TDL for really good prospects.

We really should not be comparing what BC is saying to what NH did for years. If I were BC I would not come out and tell the fans that BN is cheap and more concerned about profits than anything else. If he does that then we will have to look for another GM pronto. If BC leaves there will be nobody worth hiring who is not a arse kisser like NH.

I sure hope that this time next year some decisions and moves have been made to start turning this team around.
SammyKhalifa

Ben Cherington

Post by SammyKhalifa »

hooray for overreaction

The last thing I'd want is some hurried moves to appease some fans.  Or some midlevel signings to recommence the Drive for 75. 

We have no idea whether the new coaching or whatever will make a difference.  We're being a bit methodical, sure, but it's taken even less time than I expected for people to turn against a new coach and GM no matter who they are. And here I assumed it would be after the first homestand.
shedman

Ben Cherington

Post by shedman »

I have high hopes for Cherington. I will give him the benefit of the doubt on any acquisition he makes to improve the team. I will come on here and heap praise if he makes some moves to improve the team. But, so far, he has done nothing to commend him for.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Ben Cherington

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

130805040D010E600 wrote: I have high hopes for Cherington.  I will give him the benefit of the doubt on any acquisition he makes to improve the team.  I will come on here and heap praise if he makes some moves to improve the team.  But, so far, he has done nothing to commend him for.

If he makes a trade, including Marte, that brings back a young, unproven player who performs like Reynolds did last year, would the trading of Marte be acceptable to you?