Thinking out of the box

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

JollyRoger

Thinking out of the box

Post by JollyRoger »

We know that BN will never sign an expensive free agent. The draft is now decided by slot money. I think BC needs to look at acquiring high level prospects by taking on some salary. The perfect fit for this is the San Diego Padres. There is already interest in Marte and the Padres have a loaded farm system. Suppose the Pirates were to offer Marte and Kela to the Padres. In return the Pirates agree to take on Myers contract in order to get Campusano and Patino or their next rated pitching prospect other than Gore who is untouchable. In effect the Bucs would be partially buying high end talent at a fraction of the cost. They would be taking on about 6M in additional payroll by absorbing Myers contract and subtracting Marte and Kela.

Thoughts?
shedman

Thinking out of the box

Post by shedman »

47626161745F626A687F0D0 wrote: We know that BN will never sign an expensive free agent. The draft is now decided by slot money. I think BC needs to look at acquiring high level prospects by taking on some salary. The perfect fit for this is the San Diego Padres. There is already interest in Marte and the Padres have a loaded farm system. Suppose the Pirates were to offer Marte and Kela to the Padres. In return the Pirates agree to take on Myers contract in order to get Campusano and Patino or their next rated pitching prospect other than Gore who is untouchable. In effect the Bucs would be partially buying high end talent at a fraction of the cost. They would be taking on about 6M in additional payroll by absorbing Myers contract and subtracting Marte and Kela.

Thoughts?
___

Good trade. I would go for it.
Quail

Thinking out of the box

Post by Quail »

I like the idea! It makes me wonder if Mr. Nutting has given BC enough payroll flexibility to do something like that. I sure hope so.
fjk090852-7

Thinking out of the box

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I like your idea, but Myers is due 20 million for each of the next three years. Possibly the Padres would have to absorb some of that salary. If Myers was a free agent after this season that would be easier to agree to. A twenty million dollar commitment for the 2021 and 2022 seasons is a lot of payroll to tie up on a player who has been declining.
Ecbucs

Thinking out of the box

Post by Ecbucs »

757978232A232B26213E24130 wrote: I like your idea, but Myers is due 20 million for each of the next three years. Possibly the Padres would have to absorb some of that salary. If Myers was a free agent after this season that would be easier to agree to. A twenty million dollar commitment for the 2021 and 2022 seasons is a lot of payroll to tie up on a player who has been declining.

I agree, the Bucs should get more. Myers is not worth anything. so it is trading Marte and Kela for a couple prospects and adding a lot to the payroll.
Bobster21

Thinking out of the box

Post by Bobster21 »

Some teams would probably go for that deal. But as Pirate fans, we know all too well that Nutting's priority is to avoid spending money. The idea that he could improve the team by spending above the bare minimum would be repugnant to him.
fjk090852-7

Thinking out of the box

Post by fjk090852-7 »

3E3233686168606D6A756F580 wrote: Some teams would probably go for that deal. But as Pirate fans, we know all too well that Nutting's priority is to avoid spending money. The idea that he could improve the team by spending above the bare minimum would be repugnant to him.
I am not a fan of Nuttings bare minimum either, but if you wanted to make this type of trade go to the Mets and take Cespedes and prospects because his contract is less than Myers, and he is a free agent after the season. You are  not tying up payroll in future years.
mouse

Thinking out of the box

Post by mouse »

mlbtr had a note this morning on the Marlins possible new TV contract. They had the lowest level in MLB before (20MM per year) and the new owners (before they quite became new owners) declined at $50MM offer. Thought is that when they actually get a new contract they will be able to raise payroll by $20MM. Now, that's thinking outside the box (Bob's box, anyway).

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/01/ ... aylor.html
SCBucco

Thinking out of the box

Post by SCBucco »

775A57464150470704350 wrote: Some teams would probably go for that deal. But as Pirate fans, we know all too well that Nutting's priority is to avoid spending money. The idea that he could improve the team by spending above the bare minimum would be repugnant to him.

Not a chance would Nutting do this. I'm not opposed to adding Kela to the deal going the other way since we won't be competitive and don't need a closer. If that helps add to the return.
shedman

Thinking out of the box

Post by shedman »

5B7E7D7D68437E767463110 wrote: We know that BN will never sign an expensive free agent. The draft is now decided by slot money. I think BC needs to look at acquiring high level prospects by taking on some salary. The perfect fit for this is the San Diego Padres. There is already interest in Marte and the Padres have a loaded farm system. Suppose the Pirates were to offer Marte and Kela to the Padres. In return the Pirates agree to take on Myers contract in order to get Campusano and Patino or their next rated pitching prospect other than Gore who is untouchable. In effect the Bucs would be partially buying high end talent at a fraction of the cost. They would be taking on about 6M in additional payroll by absorbing Myers contract and subtracting Marte and Kela.

Thoughts?
---

If Cherington would pull off this trade, I would heap praise on his ability to make trades. We would get a major league ballplayer and some maybe prospects for a guy that will be gone soon anyway.