Major changes ahead for MLB playoffs?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

https://larrybrownsports.com/baseball/m ... ges/537616

By 2022 - four more teams and best of three rather than one-and-done.

Probably good for the game. On the other hand, it gives nutting two more chances to get lucky as opposed to getting better.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

3532242C2235727E07202A262E2B6924282A470 wrote: https://larrybrownsports.com/baseball/m ... ges/537616

By 2022 - four more teams and best of three rather than one-and-done. 

Probably good for the game.  On the other hand, it gives nutting two more chances to get lucky as opposed to getting better.

just follow the NHL format and finish by Thanksgiving. That way everybody is a contender every year.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I don't like it
rucker59@gmail.com

6A5854544072515855505F58390 wrote: I don't like it

I do like the idea of the wild card being best of three.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

616670787661262A53747E727A7F3D707C7E130 wrote: I don't like it

I do like the idea of the wild card being best of three.

I don't want 4 more teams in the playoffs. Too watered down but that's the direction all sports go because it's all about the money. However, I despise the 1-game WC playoff which rewards the team with the single best pitcher regardless of the overall strength of the 2 teams. The 1972 Phillies (59-97) would have defeated anyone in a WC game behind Steve Carlton (27-10, 1.97 ERA, 310 Ks).
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

They should shorten the regular season and start the playoffs in September. I doubt they would even consider doing that, though.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

I would like to see doubleheaders in the schedule to shorten the season. Just 7 would take a week off the schedule. They usually play day/night so they don't even lose revenue. And teams that struggle for attendance could have some traditional doubleheaders to draw more fans in a 2 for 1 than they would in 2 separate low drawing games. The players' union doesn't like playing twice in a day. But they are already getting a 26th man per team and if they get more playoffs it puts more money in the pot for the players. So they have to make a concession.
BenM

Post by BenM »

The expansion part doesn't really bother me. But the "pick your opponent on live TV" aspect is far too gimmicky.

(Is there any other sport that does that?)
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Too many teams, and in general I think Bye weeks should be avoided.
rucker59@gmail.com

67404B68250 wrote: The expansion part doesn't really bother me. But the "pick your opponent on live TV" aspect is far too gimmicky.

(Is there any other sport that does that?)

Agreed. I’ll be shocked if that part of this trial balloon would ever be implemented.

I was also thinking - someone compared MLB to the NHL; the NHL post season tends to make the regular season a bit meaningless (not true, but that’s often said). MLB has a similar problem: by Mid August the season tends to be meaningless for half of more of the teams.

Suppose MLB shortened the season by a month but had half the teams in the playoffs, all best of seven? Some might mock the NHL, but their post season is awesome. Maybe MLB could benefit by a similar post season?