Experimental Rule Changes in the Atlantic League last season

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

https://ballparkdigest.com/2019/07/11/a ... e-changes/

Some fodder for discussion.

Stealing first on a wild pitch makes total sense to me. I am okay with that one.

Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Not sure what is meant on the check swing thing. I don't like one foul bunt on two strikes. Bunting is bad enough in the majors, don't make me watch more of it.

I don't like the wild pitch thing, here's why. What defines a "wild pitch"? And it's an instantaneous decision, so if the batter runs if there wasn't a wild pitch, and is thrown out, is he out? Called back because there wasn't a wild pitch? I can see this being used a lot with a guy on third, by teams knowing what they're doing. Similar to stealing home when a guy steals second.

I'm in favor of anything to pick up the pace of play.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

One of the great things about baseball is its consistency over the years. Unlike the NFL, there aren't knee jerk reactions to situations that lead to constant rule changes. Other than the DH, lowering the mound in 1969, and this new rule regarding pitchers having to face three batters, the game is relatively the same as it was when Babe Ruth played. I like that.

Improving some part of the pace of the game can be addressed by the umpires enforcing the current rules that keep the batter and pitcher on track. Getting pitchers accustomed to working quickly and batters staying in the box needs to begin all throughout the minor leagues so there's no issue when they get to the majors.

But the biggest reason for the length of games is the time between innings. There are nearly two full minutes more today than there were 40 years ago. That adds over a half hour to each game. I don't see the owners giving up the revenue earned between innings but they need to come up with a way to reduce that time while not sacrificing income.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

2C7A6C78776D7D767B6C5E79737F7772307D1E0 wrote: One of the great things about baseball is its consistency over the years.  Unlike the NFL, there aren't knee jerk reactions to situations that lead to constant rule changes.  Other than the DH, lowering the mound in 1969, and this new rule regarding pitchers having to face three batters, the game is relatively the same as it was when Babe Ruth played.  I like that.

Improving some part of the pace of the game can be addressed by the umpires enforcing the current rules that keep the batter and pitcher on track.  Getting pitchers accustomed to working quickly and batters staying in the box needs to begin all throughout the minor leagues so there's no issue when they get to the majors. 

But the biggest reason for the length of games is the time between innings.  There are nearly two full minutes more today than there were 40 years ago.  That adds over a half hour to each game.  I don't see the owners giving up the revenue earned between innings but they need to come up with a way to reduce that time while not sacrificing income.

I think it was on another board that it was headline of an article from early 1950's about pace of game. The umps were going to keep balls in play longer (maybe they didn't have huge pouches to keep a supply of replacements readily available).

I found it interesting that length of games was even an issue.

Remember growing up that at least for a few seasons Pirate games started at 8:05.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Night games always started at 8:05 many years ago. And twilight doubleheaders at 6.

I think the best way to speed up games is to go to electronic ball/strike indicators in the ump's ear. (Or at least bang a trash can.) :) Every AB requires so many pitches because they aren't called accurately. Batters are trying to driver up the pitch count to get the pitcher out at 100 (another stupid idea). And so many strikes wind up being called balls that hitters are able to take a lot more pitches than if they were called correctly. Shorten the majority of ABs in each game by several pitches and it adds up.
SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

164056424D57474C4156644349454D480A47240 wrote: One of the great things about baseball is its consistency over the years.  Unlike the NFL, there aren't knee jerk reactions to situations that lead to constant rule changes.  Other than the DH, lowering the mound in 1969, and this new rule regarding pitchers having to face three batters, the game is relatively the same as it was when Babe Ruth played.  I like that.

Improving some part of the pace of the game can be addressed by the umpires enforcing the current rules that keep the batter and pitcher on track.  Getting pitchers accustomed to working quickly and batters staying in the box needs to begin all throughout the minor leagues so there's no issue when they get to the majors. 

But the biggest reason for the length of games is the time between innings.  There are nearly two full minutes more today than there were 40 years ago.  That adds over a half hour to each game.  I don't see the owners giving up the revenue earned between innings but they need to come up with a way to reduce that time while not sacrificing income.
This! Until MLB is willing to cut into advertising time between innings, no meaningful reduction will take place! It wouldn't even need to be every inning break. Make some inning breaks longer, helping fans at the park get to the bathroom or find a snack without missing out on the game. But cutting a minute from the ends of innings alone would save 8 minutes!
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Last year MLB reduced the time between innings to 2 minutes for local broadcasts and nationally televised games. That saved 25 seconds each time on national broadcasts and a whopping 5 seconds each time on local broadcasts. But I don't see how much less than 2 minutes is reasonable. I think the real culprit to long games is long ABs and frequent pitching changes.
2drfischer@gmail.c

517776617767140 wrote: One of the great things about baseball is its consistency over the years.  Unlike the NFL, there aren't knee jerk reactions to situations that lead to constant rule changes.  Other than the DH, lowering the mound in 1969, and this new rule regarding pitchers having to face three batters, the game is relatively the same as it was when Babe Ruth played.  I like that.

I think it was on another board that it was headline of an article from early 1950's about pace of game.  The umps were going to keep balls in play longer (maybe they didn't have huge pouches to keep a supply of replacements readily available). 

[highlight]I found it interesting that length of games was even an issue.

Remember growing up that at least for a few seasons Pirate games started at 8:05.[/highlight]

I think in the Dead Ball Era, games began at 3:00 and games were over by 5:00, so I guess by the 1950s, because of radio and advertising, games had gotten longer. Those fans were probably just as irritated by that as we are today.

I think I remember games at Forbes Field beginning at 8:15. Regardless, we were always home before 11:00.
2drfischer@gmail.c

4C616C7D7A6B7C3C3F0E0 wrote: Night games always started at 8:05 many years ago. And twilight doubleheaders at 6.

I think the best way to speed up games is to go to electronic ball/strike indicators in the ump's ear. (Or at least bang a trash can.) :) Every AB requires so many pitches because they aren't called accurately. Batters are trying to driver up the pitch count to get the pitcher out at 100 (another stupid idea). And so many strikes wind up being called balls that hitters are able to take a lot more pitches than if they were called correctly. Shorten the majority of ABs in each game by several pitches and it adds up. 

Another thing that I wonder about is how much time has been added because of the outcomes most prevalent with At Bats today. Walks, strikeouts, and home runs take longer to complete than a simple fly ball, groundout, or base hit.

I also get irritated with hitters today with taking so much time to get to the plate (since when is walk-up music a part of the game now) and the time they take in between pitches. It's like they're trying to stay on television for as long as possible. Umpires need to keep them in the batters box.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

Time in between pitches seems like a huge issue to me.  I wonder if anyone tracks this.