What are they thinkong???

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

JulianJay

Post by JulianJay »

Posters and pundits [just finished reading one] have implied, or plain stated that the Bucs last picks were signability/under slot picks so as to have more available to pay other picks over slot to help with their signings. Seems like decent strategy, if that's the thinking. As such the picks were panned or at least downplayed. But, because this is how I think, glass half full, I think the Bucs approach is just more of the "let's see what we got" while still trying to field a reasonable MLB club. So here's how I see/hope they were thinking. First 2 picks ready for MLB relatively soon. Garcia follows soon after, meaning 3 actual MLB ready players by 2022. Then Jones to be developed {I hope} for 2023/4. Last 2 picks actually/maybe have close to ready specific skills for MLB level. If I'm even half right it seems the management team is just following their stated plan. What do you think?
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

"Fielding a reasonable MLB club". The Pirates?

I would ask what you're thinking.

They're trying to field A club. Not sure that it's all that reasonable of one. As soon as a guy nears money-making time, he's outta there.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

132C35303837133820590 wrote: Posters and pundits [just finished reading one] have implied, or plain stated that the Bucs last picks were signability/under slot picks so as to have more available to pay other picks over slot to help with their signings. Seems like decent strategy, if that's the thinking.  As such the picks were panned or at least downplayed. But, because this is how I think, glass half full, I think the Bucs approach is just more of the "let's see what we got" while still trying to field a reasonable MLB club. So here's how I see/hope they were thinking.  First 2 picks ready for MLB relatively soon. Garcia follows soon after, meaning 3 actual MLB ready players by 2022. Then Jones to be developed {I hope} for 2023/4.  Last 2 picks actually/maybe have close to ready specific skills for MLB level. If I'm even half right it seems the management team is just following their stated plan. What do you think?

If the guys who they drafted are capable of doing what you're projecting (and I've read several "experts" really liked the Pirates choices), then it's hard to find fault with what Cherington and his staff did.  I said it a couple of days ago, the best thing about the draft was that Huntington and his crew weren't involved, and that gives me hope. 

I'm willing to give this new Front Office a chance.  I know Nutting is still there but he doesn't decide who's drafted.  Now the next step is equally important, that being the proper development of the players chosen.  I feel pretty confident a better job will be done with that than it was under Huntington.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

"I know Nutting's still there, but..."

But nothing.  Nutting's still there, and it won't be long until none of those guys will be.
JulianJay

Post by JulianJay »

well, since you asked, I was thinking that the draft was done with a 2 or 3 year plan. 3 early picks who [if development goes well] could be valuable MLB kevel in 2023. 2022 seems too optimistic. Then HS Jones MLB 2024. And maybe in addition to signing underslot to help sign earlier picks, they may have specific skill sets that prove useful. That's what I was thinking.

Side note/thinking. I dould not care less about the Nutting. And feeling miserable about what might happen 4 or 5 years from now. I could be corona'd by then.

The Rays use the trading of good players near the end of contract control to replenish their systems...need I say meadows, baz and tht other guy.
shedman

Post by shedman »

0A3F2828231A28282324284D0 wrote: "I know Nutting's still there, but..."

But nothing.  Nutting's still there, and it won't be long until none of those guys will be.
-------

There is always that "but" word.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

BC was pretty straightforward about the draft strategy. He said they simply took their highest rated player available in each round. Doesn't sound like a plan for a particular year.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

79626F6E676B640A0 wrote: "I know Nutting's still there, but..."

-------

There is always that "but" word.

Wow, I never thought I'd see the day when you wanted Huntington back.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

557875646372652526170 wrote: BC was pretty straightforward about the draft strategy. He said they simply took their highest rated player available in each round. Doesn't sound like a plan for a particular year. 

could be but I find it hard to believe that Jack Hartman from Appalachian State was rated by the Bucs in the top 110 players eligible for the draft.

Maybe they found out a lot about his personality and or signability and gave him extra credit for that but he seems like a reach at pick 108 to me.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

0C212C3D3A2B3C7C7F4E0 wrote: BC was pretty straightforward about the draft strategy. He said they simply took their highest rated player available in each round. Doesn't sound like a plan for a particular year. 

BC and his philosophy of this draft reminds me of a certain other team in the Burgh that has been pretty darn successful over the last 50+ years in acquiring talent that brought some World Championships.  That is the blessed FO of the Stillers.  Time will tell if it works.