50 Years Today Three Rivers Opened

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I heard on The Fan today that 3 Rivers Stadium opened 50 years ago today. I remember that the game was televised on KDKA . The Pirates introduced the double knit uniforms that night. At that time I thought the stadium was a great venue, but as time went on it was not the best place for baseball. PNC Park is a very special place to watch a baseball game.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

True, but when you win two World Series there.....the "less sightly" has a way of turning into Miss America overnight.
maher.timothy20@gm

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

546176767D4476767D7A76130 wrote: True, but when you win two World Series there.....the "less sightly" has a way of turning into Miss America overnight.

Technically speaking we won two at Memorial Stadium in Baltimore. Now that place was a real dump.
Lecom

Post by Lecom »

Man

, I am getting old!
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

303C35382F73293430322935246F6D1D3A305D0 wrote: True, but when you win two World Series there.....the "less sightly" has a way of turning into Miss America overnight.

Technically speaking we won two at Memorial Stadium in Baltimore. Now that place was a real dump.

Love it. Thanks for catching my....boot. You're right, of course!

I live in DE....and LOVED going to Memorial Dump just to rub those "Thank God I'm a Country Boy" Baltimore fans the wrong way.

How on earth did that even get started? I'm not sure that I want to know.

Every time I get mad about Yinzer homies not seeing the obvious about how our team stinks, that's nothing compared to fans down there.

They see absolutely ZERO wrong about their O's, do or die. Say ONE bad thing about any of their players, and they get mad. They might allow you to say bad things about Peter Angelos, though. At least he SPENDS. Might spend it on the wrong guys, but he spends.

I've had some good times in that place, though I need to be reminded of most of them, IYKWIM.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

7D54525E5C310 wrote: Man

, I am getting old!

You're not getting old, you're getting ripe.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

5E77717D7F120 wrote: Man

, I am getting old!

Look at the bright side. You're not getting old.

You still have a few more years to......see what you have! ;)
GnatsEyelash

Post by GnatsEyelash »

I wasn't at that first game, but someone who was told me of the toilet overflow that came running down the aisles. Not what you wanted for the grand unveiling.

Outside of that, it was not a ballpark...it was a multi use stadium. As such, I didn't mind watching a game there. I was in the center field bleachers the day they clinched against the Mets that year.

As an 11 year old, it was the biggest place I had ever been. Come to think of it, as a 61 year old, it's still maybe the "biggest" place I've ever been.

Lots of great memories from there, both inside and outside of the lines.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

424E4F141D141C11160913240 wrote: I heard on The Fan today that 3 Rivers Stadium opened 50 years ago today. I remember that the game was televised on KDKA . The Pirates introduced the double knit uniforms that night. At that time I thought the stadium was a great venue, but as time went on it was not the best place for baseball. PNC Park is a very special place to watch a baseball game.

I got to go to the game, my uncle took me. My dad was in Viet Nam at the time. From my 10 year old perspective, and having had the opportunity to see games at Forbes that season too, the contrast was like going from a shed to a castle. It seemed so modern, as if it was futuristic. Lights everywhere.

I was in left field, and watched Stargell's error in horror. I was so mad that Tony Perez hit the first HR, but Stargell hitting one was a complete thrill. My dad would return from Nam in September, and we got to see a couple more games before we moved to Hawthorne, Nevada, right in the middle of the NLCS against the Reds. We didn't get to watch any of the games as we traveled, which was probably a good thing, them getting swept and all.

After my dad retired from the Marines in 1976, and we moved back to PA from CA where he was stationed, I couldn't WAIT to see the Pirates again at home. We had seen them many times at Dodger Stadium which to this day I still love (and it was where I saw my first MLB game with the Camp Pendleton LL... and they played none other than the Pirates), but now we were "home".

Disappointingly, my 16 year old self now walked out into the seating area, and I thought, "this sucks....I wish Forbes was still around." Saw many games a TRS, saw the first game there, but in all honesty, I was so glad it was replaced.

Flashing lights and such didn't make for a better place to watch the game. It was pure and simple, a football stadium and concert venue, but it was no ballpark.