The Great DH Compromise

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SyrBucco

The Great DH Compromise

Post by SyrBucco »

I have a compromise idea that I throw out every year or so here at OnlyBucs. I posted it in another thread and it got lost there. Maybe it should be its own topic. I would be in favor of both leagues changing over to the "Designated Pinch Hitter" rule. There are two ways it could work:

1. At one point in each game, the manager may elect to pinch hit for the pitcher without being required to remove the pitcher from the game. The batter used for the pitcher is no longer eligible to play in that game. This is the simple option, and I prefer it.

2. At one point in each game, the manager may elect to pinch hit for the pitcher without being required to remove the pitcher from the game. The batter used for the pitcher is eligible to reenter that game beginning with the next time his place in the batting order reoccurs.

What I like most about the "Designated Pinch Hitter" rule is that it adds, rather than detracts, from managerial strategy for both managers. It's easy to see reporters grilling the manager post-game about their use (or lack of use) of this tool during the contest. It is a compromise position, allowing strong hitting/weak fielding players a place in the game (especially with Option 2) while still keeping a slight advantage for the rare good hitting pitcher. But it gives every fan a daily shot at second guessing the manager!
DemDog

The Great DH Compromise

Post by DemDog »

Some good food for thought SyrBucco. I can see positives for both ideas.

#1 seems to do the least damage to the game according to us old farts. It does give the manager a shot at putting up crooked numbers on the scoreboard when the pitcher's spot comes up and there are ducks on the pond. It all depends upon what inning and the game situation. One question though, what happens if the designate pinch-hitter is needed to play in the field due to and injury or ejection of a position player? Does the team lose the DPH for the rest of the game. Another question here for you. Can the DPH bat for a weak-hitting position player rather than a pitcher?

#2 This idea has the smell of a plain old DH under the guise of being something different.

Summary, I would go for #1 in a minute if it would create some offense and keep a pitcher who is doing well in that particular game.
Bobster21

The Great DH Compromise

Post by Bobster21 »

163C37073026262A450 wrote: I have a compromise idea that I throw out every year or so here at OnlyBucs. I posted it in another thread and it got lost there. Maybe it should be its own topic. I would be in favor of both leagues changing over to the "Designated Pinch Hitter" rule. There are two ways it could work:

1. At one point in each game, the manager may elect to pinch hit for the pitcher without being required to remove the pitcher from the game. The batter used for the pitcher is no longer eligible to play in that game. This is the simple option, and I prefer it.

2. At one point in each game, the manager may elect to pinch hit for the pitcher without being required to remove the pitcher from the game. The batter used for the pitcher is eligible to reenter that game beginning with the next time his place in the batting order reoccurs.

What I like most about the "Designated Pinch Hitter" rule is that it adds, rather than detracts, from managerial strategy for both managers. It's easy to see reporters grilling the manager post-game about their use (or lack of use) of this tool during the contest. It is a compromise position, allowing strong hitting/weak fielding players a place in the game (especially with Option 2) while still keeping a slight advantage for the rare good hitting pitcher. But it gives every fan a daily shot at second guessing the manager!

If the batter reenters and bats again the next time the pitcher is due up, does the pitcher have to be removed at that point like in any other pinch hitting situation?

Can the batter reenter every time the batter is due up? If so, pitchers will start batting 3rd, 4th or 5th and will be PH for by that guy each time. In other words, the same as the DH.
DemDog

The Great DH Compromise

Post by DemDog »

5D707D6C6B7A6D2D2E1F0 wrote: I have a compromise idea that I throw out every year or so here at OnlyBucs. I posted it in another thread and it got lost there. Maybe it should be its own topic. I would be in favor of both leagues changing over to the "Designated Pinch Hitter" rule. There are two ways it could work:

If the batter reenters and bats again the next time the pitcher is due up, does the pitcher have to be removed at that point like in any other pinch hitting situation?

Can the batter reenter every time the batter is due up? If so, pitchers will start batting 3rd, 4th or 5th and will be PH for by that guy each time. In other words, the same as the DH.

I like this slight change to #2. This is usually the point where the pitcher might be in the 3rd go around with the opposing lineup and might be weakening. So take him out of the game at that point. In addition, the DPH has to leave the game and we go back to the current normal situation in the NL concerning pitchers and PHers

Shoot! I feel like SyrBucco, you and I should be on the MLB Rules committee as MLB fan representatives. ;D
WildwoodDave

The Great DH Compromise

Post by WildwoodDave »

092328182F3939355A0 wrote: I have a compromise idea that I throw out every year or so here at OnlyBucs. I posted it in another thread and it got lost there. Maybe it should be its own topic. I would be in favor of both leagues changing over to the "Designated Pinch Hitter" rule. There are two ways it could work:

I like it
Bobster21

The Great DH Compromise

Post by Bobster21 »

Speaking of the DH, I used to love when Earl Weaver would name one of his starting pitchers as his DH in home games. Sometimes that pitcher had already flown to the next city to rest up and prepare for his next start. Weaver didn't want to name his DH until that slot in the batting order came up just in case the other team had to pull their starting pitcher early and he could get the L/R matchup he wanted. So when the DH spot came up, Weaver would have a player PH for the named DH and then stay in the game as the new DH. The league didn't like that, especially since the DH in his lineup was often in some other part of the country. So they made a rule saying the DH had to bat at least once before he could be replaced and if he had to be replaced before he batted once (like if he pretended to be hurt) then they could not use the DH the rest of the game and the pitcher would have to bat or be PH for.
johnfluharty

The Great DH Compromise

Post by johnfluharty »

Another variation: The manager can pinch hit for the pitcher at any time without being required to remove the pitcher from the game. The batter used for the pitcher is eligible to reenter the game after the next time that place in the batting order occurs but he may not pinch hit for the pitcher a second time.
johnfluharty

The Great DH Compromise

Post by johnfluharty »

Another idea: The manager may pinch-hit for the starting pitcher without having to remove him once per game after he has completed  the 5th inning.
UtahPirate

The Great DH Compromise

Post by UtahPirate »

Old guy here. Let me see if I can simplify this (for the locked thread, sorry) ...

Talk this year of going to a 26 man roster:

NL Fan (excited): Good idea, we could use another guy on the bench to PH, or for a double-switch. 5-guys on the bench seems thin at times. Or maybe another arm in the bullpen is the way to go for our club.

AL Fan (bored): Why? We really only need 22 players at most, we've got 4 to 5 guys who never play anyway.
2drfischer@gmail.c

The Great DH Compromise

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

634942724553535F300 wrote: I have a compromise idea that I throw out every year or so here at OnlyBucs. I posted it in another thread and it got lost there. Maybe it should be its own topic. I would be in favor of both leagues changing over to the "Designated Pinch Hitter" rule. There are two ways it could work:

Thoughtful ideas, Syr but, if I had a vote, I'd just as soon the NL continue to play without the DH.  I just firmly believe that each of the nine players should be required to play defense as well as go to the plate.