3. Colin Moran (L) DH

4. Josh Bell (S) 1B

5. Erik Gonzalez (R) SS

6. Bryan Reynolds (S) CF

7. Gregory Polanco (L) RF

8. Kevin Newman (R) 2B

9. Jacob Stallings (R) C

Steven Brault (L) SP

Shelty and BC are steering this team toward total irrelevance in the Pgh sports market. I think they will be hated but Pgh fans than the Browns or the Ravens as well as the Flyers and the Caps. Pennies BOB better get busy selling this club before it becomes not just irrelevant but totally worthless. I wonder will teams be willing to pay pennies on the dollar in a player dispersal draft to contract the Bucs?
GreenWeenie

Game Thread - 9/17 - Keystone Bumblers vs Cards

Post by GreenWeenie »

Steering toward? They've arrived.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

0035222229102222292E22470 wrote: Steering toward?  They've arrived.

Not quite. You and I are still discussing how really, really bad they are but we have not yet totally quit talking about the team. When that happens then they have arrived! 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

It's really great to see Polanco still above .100.
MJohnson

Post by MJohnson »

I do not understand what Bob's plan is. I don't see a relocation viable without expansion, and I think cities would rather have an expansion team than the Nutting owned Pirates. I believe that the new GM/Manager was simply an effort to keep the team's grip on more season ticket-holders than they would have by standing pat. But I can't believe that this short season will help ticket sales next year. If he's keeping the team, he's planning on profiting without winning or selling tickets. If he's planning on selling, I would think fan loyalty/excitement would pay dividends and the acrimony he's cultivated would hold down the price.

I moved to Pittsburgh in 1972, and have the ticket stub to that season's September 30 game framed on my wall. Over the years, this team has made me proud and broken my heart. But this owner has nearly made them something, that to me, I would have thought impossible: irrelevant.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

12153037312C30315F0 wrote: I do not understand what Bob's plan is.  I don't see a relocation viable without expansion, and I think cities would rather have an expansion team than the Nutting owned Pirates.  I believe that the new GM/Manager was simply an effort to keep the team's grip on more season ticket-holders than they would have by standing pat.  But I can't believe that this short season will help ticket sales next year.    If he's keeping the team, he's planning on profiting without winning or selling tickets.  If he's planning on selling, I would think fan loyalty/excitement would pay dividends and the acrimony he's cultivated would hold down the price. 

I moved to Pittsburgh in 1972, and have the ticket stub to that season's September 30 game framed on my wall.  Over the years, this team has made me proud and broken my heart.  But this owner has nearly made them something, that to me, I would have thought impossible:  irrelevant.   
I believe his only plan is to keep the team profitable. Low payroll, broadcast revenue and luxury tax payments seem to be enough. He doesn't want to sell and there's no reason to move somewhere else as long as his way of doing business makes money in Pittsburgh.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

44436661677A6667090 wrote: I do not understand what Bob's plan is.  I don't see a relocation viable without expansion, and I think cities would rather have an expansion team than the Nutting owned Pirates.  I believe that the new GM/Manager was simply an effort to keep the team's grip on more season ticket-holders than they would have by standing pat.  But I can't believe that this short season will help ticket sales next year.    If he's keeping the team, he's planning on profiting without winning or selling tickets.  If he's planning on selling, I would think fan loyalty/excitement would pay dividends and the acrimony he's cultivated would hold down the price. 

I moved to Pittsburgh in 1972, and have the ticket stub to that season's September 30 game framed on my wall.  Over the years, this team has made me proud and broken my heart.  But this owner has nearly made them something, that to me, I would have thought impossible:  irrelevant.   

Apathy is worse than hate. I'd guess many Pirates fans have become more and more apathetic as time has passed since the end of the 2015 season. What's taken place this year hasn't helped.

I can't imagine even one Pirates fan believes Nutting is trying to win. It'll take a miracle, along with a monumental effort by the baseball staff, to change minds going forward, not to mention free agents looking for a place to play.

That's why I believe that MLB has to change with regard to equitable payrolls because Nutting has never shown an inclination to compete. And I'm guessing the owners have little incentive to do so. We're stuck as Pirates fans until he sells, is forced out, or goes to meet his maker. Not very encouraging.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

2D2A0F080E130F0E600 wrote: I do not understand what Bob's plan is.  I don't see a relocation viable without expansion, and I think cities would rather have an expansion team than the Nutting owned Pirates.  I believe that the new GM/Manager was simply an effort to keep the team's grip on more season ticket-holders than they would have by standing pat.  But I can't believe that this short season will help ticket sales next year.    If he's keeping the team, he's planning on profiting without winning or selling tickets.  If he's planning on selling, I would think fan loyalty/excitement would pay dividends and the acrimony he's cultivated would hold down the price. 

Bob Nutting is the ninth wealthiest owner in MLB right now. He will be 10th when MLB signs off on Cohen buying the Mutts.

The plan you say? When crowds are allowed to come back, they better support this poorly run and owned organization or else Bob will cry poor once again and cut payroll. There will come a point in time that the Washington Wild Things have a bigger payroll. There is no plan to be good as long as he is making money. The dolt had a great opportunity to make a boatload when the Pirates got to the playoffs. Instead of going out and getting that missing piece or two, AJB, RussMart, Walker, Blanton, Happ all gone and Ryan Vogelsong and Jon Neise were the pieces to the promise land. That told me all I needed to know about Nutting.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Thank you Joe Block for asking Walk to explain to us why batters look at 3B coaches. ::)

Maybe he should just do the PBP and give his baseball watching audience credit for understanding baseball.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Polanco!!! :D