Pirates Are Not A Young Team

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

I took a look at the ages of the current players on the active roster. Although the Bucs are in a rebuilding mode, this does not mean that the Pirates are a 'young' team.

Oviedo, the Rule 5 pick is just about to turn 22, however, the next youngest is Keller, who just turned 25. The majority of the players fall in the 26 - 30 age bracket, with only a few over 30; T. Frazier, Anderson, Cahill, Rodriguez, Stratton, and Stallings.

The average age of the team is likely 'held down' by the lack of players who are in the 33+ range, however, I believe it is hard to characterize the Pirates as being a 'young' team age-wise, even though many of the current players do not have that much major league experience.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

705C5453587F485E4E3D0 wrote: I took a look at the ages of the current players on the active roster.  Although the Bucs are in a rebuilding mode, this does not mean that the Pirates are a 'young' team.

Oviedo, the Rule 5 pick is just about to turn 22, however, the next youngest is Keller, who just turned 25.  The majority of the players fall in the 26 - 30 age bracket, with only a few over 30; T. Frazier, Anderson, Cahill, Rodriguez, Stratton, and Stallings.

The average age of the team is likely 'held down' by the lack of players who are in the 33+ range, however, I believe it is hard to characterize the Pirates as being a 'young' team age-wise, even though many of the current players do not have that much major league experience.

Is this because the Pirates have so few young players to build with, or who simply aren't ready to play in the big leagues?  The farm system is still relatively barren.  It's going to take BC a couple more drafts and international signing periods to collect enough talent that's ready to play in Pittsburgh.  The guys here now, except for Hayes, Reynolds, and maybe a couple more, are just filling out the roster for now.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

7C50585F5473445242310 wrote: I took a look at the ages of the current players on the active roster.  Although the Bucs are in a rebuilding mode, this does not mean that the Pirates are a 'young' team.

Oviedo, the Rule 5 pick is just about to turn 22, however, the next youngest is Keller, who just turned 25.  The majority of the players fall in the 26 - 30 age bracket, with only a few over 30; T. Frazier, Anderson, Cahill, Rodriguez, Stratton, and Stallings.

I guess the main concern about not being a young team is that there isn't much hope for players on current roster to improve.
wtmjkj@verizon.net

Post by wtmjkj@verizon.net »

By weighted average age, the Pirates have the NL's second youngest pitchers and third youngest hitters. The problem is, that's more because they have few veterans (they cost money, y'know) than because they have really young, high-ceiling guys. With few exceptions, they're dominated now by guys who, at best, are role players on a future winner. The core players--if they have any in the org.--aren't there yet.
maher.timothy20@gm

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

4D4E575051507A4C5F485340555414545F4E3A0 wrote: By weighted average age, the Pirates have the NL's second youngest pitchers and third youngest hitters.  The problem is, that's more because they have few veterans (they cost money, y'know) than because they have really young, high-ceiling guys.  With few exceptions, they're dominated now by guys who, at best, are role players on a future winner.  The core players--if they have any in the org.--aren't there yet.

I agree with this completely. If you envision some theoretical contending Pirates team in 2023 or '24, which current players are on that team? Reynolds, Hayes, Keller? Those are the most likely in my mind, and I'm not even sure Keller is a sure thing.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

5D515855421E44595D5F445849020070575D300 wrote: By weighted average age, the Pirates have the NL's second youngest pitchers and third youngest hitters.  The problem is, that's more because they have few veterans (they cost money, y'know) than because they have really young, high-ceiling guys.  With few exceptions, they're dominated now by guys who, at best, are role players on a future winner.  The core players--if they have any in the org.--aren't there yet.

I agree with this completely. If you envision some theoretical contending Pirates team in 2023 or '24, which current players are on that team? Reynolds, Hayes, Keller? Those are the most likely in my mind, and I'm not even sure Keller is a sure thing.
If he keeps pitching like he has so far, I think Brubaker could be part of the contending teams as well.
maher.timothy20@gm

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

7E7273282128202D2A352F180 wrote: By weighted average age, the Pirates have the NL's second youngest pitchers and third youngest hitters.  The problem is, that's more because they have few veterans (they cost money, y'know) than because they have really young, high-ceiling guys.  With few exceptions, they're dominated now by guys who, at best, are role players on a future winner.  The core players--if they have any in the org.--aren't there yet.

If he keeps pitching like he has so far, I think Brubaker could be part of the contending teams as well.

Yes, definitely. And I'm sure there are others. Kevin Newman and Colin Moran are even possibilities. But overall I'd bet that the number of players that sticks around for the next contender is six or seven at most.
bucs607179

Post by bucs607179 »

First thought that entered my mind when I saw thread title was Tom Brady. I'll take old BUCS (not Tampa Bay) and wins everyday.
wtmjkj@verizon.net

Post by wtmjkj@verizon.net »

The core players are going to have to come from the farm system. FWIW, Erik Longenhagen (who, imo, is one of the best of the prospects hounds) seems to think they're there. This is from his review of the Pirates' system:

. . . this will likely be one of the top farm systems in baseball very soon, and then for quite a while. There will be attrition, especially among the pitching, which all Pirates fans know, but the sheer volume of higher-upside players acquired recently will likely result in a handful of foundational big leaguers and important role players.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

797A636465644E786B7C6774616020606B7A0E0 wrote: The core players are going to have to come from the farm system.  FWIW, Erik Longenhagen (who, imo, is one of the best of the prospects hounds) seems to think they're there.  This is from his review of the Pirates' system:

. . . this will likely be one of the top farm systems in baseball very soon, and then for quite a while. There will be attrition, especially among the pitching, which all Pirates fans know, but the sheer volume of higher-upside players acquired recently will likely result in a handful of foundational big leaguers and important role players.

WTM, have you read his book? I looked on Amazon and it looks like it could be a good read. By the way, I hope you, Tim, and John continue to give us some great info on PBN.