Draft Poll

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

JollyRoger

Draft Poll

Post by JollyRoger »

The MLB draft takes place starting July 11

I’ve listed the current top 5 alphabetically.

Depending on what news source or analyst you read these 5 have appeared in any order from 1-5

There does not appear to be a clear cut #1.

Rocker was the #1 coming into the season, but he has fallen off slightly. Leiter was dominant early on but has also faded slightly.

The 2 HS SS’s are rising in the rankings.

Davis is the highest rated C

What do you think the Pirates should do?

It’s critical that they hit on this #1 opportunity.

It would be nice to know what their timeline is to compete for the playoffs. That info is important to decide if you go with a college or a HS player. Do the Bucs draft for positional need-C?

Do they go with one of the dominant Vanderbilt pitchers

Although they have recently drafted many middle infielder, do they draft one of the HS Shortstops hoping that one may develop into the next Cory Seager or Carlos Carrea?

I originally was sold on Rocker because of his size and dominance

I don’t know now.

What say you.... Bucs Fans?
Ecbucs

Draft Poll

Post by Ecbucs »

if they think Davis can be another Buster Posey then he is the one.

So I selected Davis.

But really whoever they think is going to be the best player and the best player soon is who they should pick.
CTBucco

Draft Poll

Post by CTBucco »

I have been all over with my opinion on who they should take. And even though I voted for Lawlar, I don’t feel strongly about him over any of the other guys on this vote.

I started in the Rocker camp. Big framed, strong power pitcher. Sounds like a prototypical top-of-the-rotation arm. But the lack of a plus 3rd pitch adds a lot of risk, and his shakier starts against good competition is concerning.

I never loved Leiter because of his size and lower velo. But then it bumped up this year. So, I was briefly in his camp given the 4 pitches and good command. I am concerned though about the level of effort required to hit those 95+ velos and the decreased command that has come with them.

The HS SS’s are risky by definition. And neither has a hit or power tool that really stands out for a 1-1. If they could be signed for less, I can see it. But with no clear 1-1 and their inclusion in the discussion, I doubt there’s much savings to be had. I’m okay with either as they have pretty high ceilings and 5 tools.

So, Davis. Best college bat. A catcher. But will he stay at C? If the bat is that good, probably not so that he can be in the lineup 140 games. If not, they have an above average hitting C. Not all bad. I feel his floor is highest. I’m less sure about his ceiling though. And his stats against Fri and Sat SPs are good, but not dominant. Will Craig was the same way.

I’ve heard that some scouts see Brady House with plus hit and power tools. He may not stick at SS, but if the bat plays out, I’d be happy with a middle of the order guy in a corner position. And, because he hasn’t been in the 1-1 discussion, they probably can sign him for $1M or so below slot and add another high upside HS guy that slides later on. There are several in the 15-25 range of the rankings. With no one or small set really standing out, this is my current path of choice. If there had been a “None of the above” option, that’s what I would have voted.
Surgnbuck

Draft Poll

Post by Surgnbuck »

I voted the catcher. It's because so many pundits say the Pirates need a bat that will be ready sooner rather than later. He fits best regardless of how his defense projects. Think about it- how has the running game prevention working out right now? Just as long as he doesnt become the next Doumit, who just never hit to a level to commit to playing poor defense on a regular basis.
WildwoodDave2

Draft Poll

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

694F485D54584F59513A0 wrote: I voted the catcher. It's because so many pundits say the Pirates need a bat that will be ready sooner rather than later. He fits best regardless of how his defense projects. Think about it- how has the running game prevention working out right now? Just as long as he doesnt become the next Doumit, who just never hit to a level to commit to playing poor defense on a regular basis.
I am with you on the catcher. Will take a position player (assuming he can hit) who plays everyday over a pitcher who works every 5 days. Pitchers also can be a Tommy John candidate right after they throw their first pitch
JollyRoger

Draft Poll

Post by JollyRoger »

https://www.mlb.com/amp/news/mock-mlb-draft-may-26.html

Each week there are different mock draft projections.

The Pirates have been linked to every player in this poll

One of the latest has the Bucs drafting HS SS Mayer.

Also on multiple discussions by analysts they mention the Pirates may be asking those top prospects (except for Leiter & Rocker as they are team mates) if they would accept below slot money if the Pirates select them #1. That would conceivably give the Bucs more money to spend on other prospects possibly convincing some to sign. If this is true; I don’t think the players union would approve of the tactic, but I don’t think there is anything that says they have to offer max slot money.
rucker59@gmail.com

Draft Poll

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

I went Henry Davis. Considered best college bat. Premium position with a canon arm and improved D.

Whoever said above “highest floor”, I agree. But I would Say he has highest ceiling also given he’s a catcher.
Surgnbuck

Draft Poll

Post by Surgnbuck »

Just bumping this because even though many of us don't follow the vast horizon of amateur baseball, as it gets closer we hear so much about the possible top picks it's almost as if we're on top of the information all the time.

Great idea for a thread and poll BTS
Javy

Draft Poll

Post by Javy »

After some consideration, I went Davis. Catcher is certainly a position where there is a vast lack of talent. Stallings is not a kid anymore, and may have value to another team in the off-season, or next years TDL. Not that Davis will be ready yet, but he seems certain to rise through the system quickly. A stopgap catcher, similar to Stallings could fill the gap until Davis is ready.

I certainly understand the need for an ace pitcher, but we have seen what happens with guys like Cole, who have to be moved before they hit their peak, or lose them for next to nothing.
steve49

Draft Poll

Post by steve49 »

I vote draft some high school kid and offer him a $1 contract. Get the #2 pick in next year's draft. I know won't happen or not realistic but #1 seems nothing special this year.