Rodriguez

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

MaineBucs

Rodriguez

Post by MaineBucs »

Seeing how BC stopped the streak by failing to make a trade yesterday, I thought I would offer my thoughts regarding what will be the inevitable trade of Rodriguez.

Entering this trading period ,I thought that Rodriguez was the one player who would net a real return. Good performance, low salary and controllable for 2 more years.

Although many teams still need better pitching, I am now questioning my initial thoughts on Rodriguez. Teams seem to be making moves for fringe relievers that require little in return, rather than pitchers who could serve in a closer capacity. In addition, many publications tout Rodriguez as a 7th or 8th inning pitcher rather than being a closer.

In short, I still expect Rodriguez to be traded, however, I am now expecting to be underwhelmed by the return. Sure hope that I am wrong.
fjk090852-7

Rodriguez

Post by fjk090852-7 »

79555D5A5176415747340 wrote: Seeing how BC stopped the streak by failing to make a trade yesterday, I thought I would offer my thoughts regarding what will be the inevitable trade of Rodriguez.

Entering this trading period ,I thought that Rodriguez was the one player who would net a real return.  Good performance, low salary and controllable for 2 more years.

Although many teams still need better pitching, I am now questioning my initial thoughts on Rodriguez.  Teams seem to be making moves for fringe relievers that require little in return, rather than pitchers who could serve in a closer capacity.  In addition, many publications tout Rodriguez as a 7th or 8th inning pitcher rather than being a closer.

In short, I still expect Rodriguez to be traded, however, I am now expecting to be underwhelmed by the return.  Sure hope that I am wrong.         
You could be correct in your thinking. If you look at the standings many of the Division leaders have rather good leads over the second place teams. The Wild Card races are interesting, but several other teams are no longer in the playoff hunt, which I would think have little interest in acquiring a setup/closer.
Surgnbuck

Rodriguez

Post by Surgnbuck »

I never saw a single report that said he would end up being anyone's closer, just a setup guy.

I think he hasn't gone yet because Kimbrel hasn't gone anywhere yet.

But I agree, I don't think he'll return anything overwhelming.
Ecbucs

Rodriguez

Post by Ecbucs »

59757D7A7156617767140 wrote: Seeing how BC stopped the streak by failing to make a trade yesterday, I thought I would offer my thoughts regarding what will be the inevitable trade of Rodriguez.

Entering this trading period ,I thought that Rodriguez was the one player who would net a real return.  Good performance, low salary and controllable for 2 more years.

Although many teams still need better pitching, I am now questioning my initial thoughts on Rodriguez.  Teams seem to be making moves for fringe relievers that require little in return, rather than pitchers who could serve in a closer capacity.  In addition, many publications tout Rodriguez as a 7th or 8th inning pitcher rather than being a closer.

In short, I still expect Rodriguez to be traded, however, I am now expecting to be underwhelmed by the return.  Sure hope that I am wrong.         

The return the Nats got for Hand was very light imo. I know he will be a free agent and has a huge salary but traded for someone who might be a back up catcher is not a great return. R-Rod should bring back because of years of control, salary and having a better year than Hand. Still he won't bring as much back as Frazier.
Bobster21

Rodriguez

Post by Bobster21 »

I've always thought closers were not only overrated but misused. A team's best reliever can be of more value getting out of a jam that has the potential to be what loses the game in an earlier inning rather than just waiting to not blow a lead in the 9th while a lesser reliever lets the game get away in the 7th or 8th.

That said, I reviewed the top save guys in the NL FWIW (since saves can be had for as little as not blowing a 3-run lead or cannot be had by a closer for a team that doesn't get many leads or else scores too much to have many leads of 3 or less runs). What I found was that there aren't too many shut down closers. Kimbrel has a ridiculous ERA of 0.49 and there are a few with ERAs close to or under 2.00. But some of the save leaders are between 3.00 and 4.00 which is not too good for a closer when he can't afford to give up a run. Rodriguez is about in the middle for ERA at 2.82. That's not "shut down closer" material but it's better than some of the other save leaders. So some teams would see him as an improvement over what they've got but not enough of an improvement to merit trading too much to acquire him.
UtahPirate

Rodriguez

Post by UtahPirate »

I think the Kimbrel domino has to fall and we'll see some other teams scramble to get someone else. Tomorrow may be a bit frantic. It seems like BC will trade just about anyone on our roster who draws interest.

Can't wait for Gamel to go so we can get Tom back.  ???[reason]The add he requested puke emoji[/reason]
MaineBucs

Rodriguez

Post by MaineBucs »

Lot's of major activity on the trade front today. BC is falling below his quota. Time to pick up the pace.
WildwoodDave2

Rodriguez

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

75535441484453454D260 wrote: I never saw a single report that said he would end up being anyone's closer, just a setup guy.

That's why it might be better to possibly wait and trade him in the off season. Return could be better
Surgnbuck

Rodriguez

Post by Surgnbuck »

655B5E56455D5D567653445700320 wrote: I never saw a single report that said he would end up being anyone's closer, just a setup guy.

That's why it might be better to possibly wait and trade him in the off season. Return could be better
Just reported, Rich Rod to the Braves.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Rodriguez

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

55737461686473656D060 wrote: I never saw a single report that said he would end up being anyone's closer, just a setup guy.

Just reported, Rich Rod to the Braves.

For Freddie Freeman? Ronald Acuna? Both?