Moran activated and Gamel to the 10-day IL

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

Post by DemDog »

This is all courtesy of P2.  Crap. It is a right hammy strain says John Dreker.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

It has only been a couple games since his return, but I am thinking the Bucs should move on from Moran this offseason. I know Nogowski is not the answer, and Mason Martin is only now playing at AA so he is not ready to come to the Majors. Possibly this offseason the Pirates can sign someone who plays first base, and can play defense. Possibly Chavis who they acquired from Boston at the deadline could be the answer. I just think we should turn the page with Moran.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

353938636A636B66617E64530 wrote: It has only been a couple games since his return, but I am thinking the Bucs should move on from Moran this offseason. I know Nogowski is not the answer, and Mason Martin is only  now playing at AA so he is not ready to come to the Majors. Possibly this offseason the Pirates can sign someone who plays first base, and can play defense. Possibly Chavis who they acquired from Boston at the deadline could be the answer. I just think we should turn the page with Moran.
Yeah, at some point you have to upgrade over Moran. He's a nice steady player. He'll hit .270 with maybe 15-20 HRs in a full season. He won't hurt you defensively at 1B. But 1B is a position teams historically put someone who provides a lot of offense. Moran isn't good, he isn't bad, he's just sort of bleh. The fact that he's one of their better hitters shows the weakness of the lineup. They need to do better.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

"Adequate"? ;))))
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

I agree that Moran clearly is not a long-term answer, and that he has questionable value as even a short-term answer. Not enough power for a first baseman.

I believe the real question is could someone like Martin or even Cruz be an answer by the start of 2023 at the latest. If so, limping along with some combo of Moran and a RH option at first may be the most reasonable approach for what is shaping up as another losing season in 2022.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

2F030B0C0720170111620 wrote: I agree that Moran clearly is not a long-term answer, and that he has questionable value as even a short-term answer.  Not enough power for a first baseman.

I believe the real question is could someone like Martin or even Cruz be an answer by the start of 2023 at the latest.  If so, limping along with some combo of Moran and a RH option at first may be the most reasonable approach for what is shaping up as another losing season in 2022.

I think Chavis has a good chance of being a starter at first next year if he shows something the remainder of this season.