Should The Bucs Consider Signing Stallings

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Just noticed that the Braves signed Travis D’Anaud to a two year 16 million dollar contract. I know that Stallings is not a free agent for a few years, but it might be good, to lock him up for a couple years before Henry Davis arrives. In other words, buy out a couple years of arbitration.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

I would just as soon go year to year with him. I don't think he can be a free agent until after 2024 season (maybe after 2025).

this season is his career high in games played and at bats already.

What do you think he would get if he went year to year (and his offense stayed about the same as this season)?

I'm thinking 3 million in 2022, 4.5 in 2023 and 6 million in 2024 (and 2024 may be an iffy year for the Bucs wanting him to be full-time catcher).

Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

060A0B5059505855524D57600 wrote: Just noticed that the Braves signed Travis D’Anaud to a two year 16 million dollar contract. I know that Stallings is not a free  agent for a few years, but it might be good, to lock him up for a couple years before Henry Davis arrives. In other words, buy out a couple years of arbitration.
He's an Arb 4 guy, he won't be a FA till 2025. Sorry for him in a way, but the best he can do is the arbitration process at his age, and as a catcher. The guy was DFA at one point. He's year to year the rest of his life.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

222E2F747D747C71766973440 wrote: Just noticed that the Braves signed Travis D’Anaud to a two year 16 million dollar contract. I know that Stallings is not a free  agent for a few years, but it might be good, to lock him up for a couple years before Henry Davis arrives. In other words, buy out a couple years of arbitration.
Hopefully Davis is ready after the 2023 date( not sure what it is) for not counting against your required time with your first club. I think it's 4 years. Stallings certainly deserves an increase, certainly if he gets a gold glove this year
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

Year to year ... I wonder what his value on the trade market would be. We won't be competitive next year either, so ...
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

The Pirates control Stallings for 2022, 2023 and 2024. He's an excellent defensive catcher but his hitting is likely to limit his arbitration awards if he doesn't agree to salaries. By 2025 he will be 35 and nearing the end of his career. And by then Henry Davis should be the starting catcher. Stallings probably has more value to the Pirates than to most other teams. IMHO, his best course is to stay with the Pirates as the starter until Davis emerges as the starter and then serve as the backup until he retires.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

1D303D2C2B3A2D6D6E5F0 wrote: The Pirates control Stallings for 2022, 2023 and 2024. He's an excellent defensive catcher but his hitting is likely to limit his arbitration awards if he doesn't agree to salaries. By 2025 he will be 35 and nearing the end of his career. And by then Henry Davis should be the starting catcher. Stallings probably has more value to the Pirates than to most other teams. IMHO, his best course is to stay with the Pirates as the starter until Davis emerges as the starter and then serve as the backup until he retires.
Definitely agree
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

1909083F2929254A0 wrote: Year to year ... I wonder what his value on the trade market would be.  We won't be competitive next year either, so ...
I've thought about this, but I think he's more valuable to us at this point than any trade return.