Re-thinking Polanco

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

JollyRoger

Re-thinking Polanco

Post by JollyRoger »

Most of this board myself included have the opinion that the Bucs need to just cut ties with Polanco. Though he was once considered a rising star he has never performed to expectations.

But does it make sense to just cast him off and eat the $3M buyout with nothing in return. After watching his play the last few weeks I am thinking that it may not be in the Pirates best interest. Polanco is not that far from a possible 20 HR/20 SB season. If he can get his average to .250/.260 then he definitely has value. I believe that BC may be thinking the same thing. Let’s see how he does in August.

I know there is no way the Bucs exercise his $11M option unless they can work out an off season trade. If the Bucs were to pick up half of his option price for a new team; I’m sure that would net them a high upside lower minors player which BC seems to cover.

Instead of throwing away 3M which you may have planned anyway; you throw an added 2.5M and get a real prospect that will help long term.
Bobster21

Re-thinking Polanco

Post by Bobster21 »

There are 55 games left. Polanco isn't playing today. Lets say he doesn't start an additional 5. That leaves 49 games. If he averages 4 ABs per game that's another 196 ABs added to his current total of 270 for a projected total of 466. To get to .250 or better he would need to have 117 hits in those 466 ABs. He only has 57 so far. So after going 57 for 270 (.211) he would need to go 60 for 196 (.306) to get to .251. Hard to imagine him becoming a .300 hitter the rest of the season. If he just hit .250 the rest of the way over an additional 196 ABs, he would finish the season at .227. I don't think there's much chance of him ending the season at .250/.260.
Surgnbuck

Re-thinking Polanco

Post by Surgnbuck »

The club option is for 12.5 million, not 11 million.

I've pointed out that the Pirates may be looking at it this way, from the lens of accounting games.

His buyout is 3 million. In essence, by keeping him, he's effectively a 9.5 million dollar player, because they save the buyout. His buyout for 2023 is only 1 million.

What does a 10.5 million dollar outfielder, a free agent type, look like? If the club thinks Polanco can improve his arm, hit .225-.240, and 20 plus HR's, he may be worth keeping to them.

Remember, in the game today, the average batting average is about .235. If Polanco hits in that range, he may well seem worth it to them
Bobster21

Re-thinking Polanco

Post by Bobster21 »

577176636A6671676F040 wrote: The club option is for 12.5 million, not 11 million.

I've pointed out that the Pirates may be looking at it this way, from the lens of accounting games.

His buyout is 3 million. In essence, by keeping him, he's effectively a 9.5 million dollar player, because they save the buyout. His buyout for 2023 is only 1 million.

What does a 10.5 million dollar outfielder, a free agent type, look like?  If the club thinks Polanco can improve his arm, hit .225-.240, and 20 plus HR's, he may be worth keeping to them.

Remember, in the game today, the average batting average is about .235. If Polanco hits in that range, he may well seem worth it to them
I doubt that .235 is the average BA for starting outfielders though. Right now the average BA in the NL is .240 based on total hits/total ABs. That includes pitchers batting, bench warmers and everyone who hit so poorly they are now back in the minors. I would be curious to know the average BA just for starting OFers.
Surgnbuck

Re-thinking Polanco

Post by Surgnbuck »

1C313C2D2A3B2C6C6F5E0 wrote: The club option is for 12.5 million, not 11 million.

What does a 10.5 million dollar outfielder, a free agent type, look like?  If the club thinks Polanco can improve his arm, hit .225-.240, and 20 plus HR's, he may be worth keeping to them.

I doubt that .235 is the average BA for starting outfielders though. Right now the average BA in the NL is .240 based on total hits/total ABs. That includes pitchers batting, bench warmers and everyone who hit so poorly they are now back in the minors. I would be curious to know the average BA just for starting OFers. 
There is always reworking the contract. I just thought of that. Right now he's guaranteed the rest of this year's salary and the 3 million buyout. What kind of offers does he think he would get? Nonroster invitee at best. I could actually see them doin a 2-3 year deal.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Re-thinking Polanco

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

My concern with bringing Polanco back is the opportunity cost, not the money he would be paid. By potentially giving him 500 ABs next year, the club takes those ABs from young players. That’s the actual cost of keeping him. That should be the only consideration. Him maybe helping to win a few more games next year will actually be a detriment to preparing for the years to come.

He’s not part of the future, the time when BC is looking to be competitive. Releasing him today will serve the club better than any other decision.
SCBucco

Re-thinking Polanco

Post by SCBucco »

Lets keep in mind that savings by buying him out won't be reinvested for something useful.  That said, I like the Korean in his small sample size.  We aren't going to be competitive next year either, so ... lets see what the OF of Gamel , Reynolds and Hoy can do.
Surgnbuck

Re-thinking Polanco

Post by Surgnbuck »

7C6C6D5A4C4C402F0 wrote: Lets keep in mind that savings by buying him out won't be reinvested for something useful.  That said, I like the Korean in his small sample size.  We aren't going to be competitive next year either, so ... lets see what the OF of Gamel , Reynolds and Hoy can do.
Keep in mind, that until arbitration rolls around for a handful of guys who will top the figure, Polanco's 3 million dollar buyout will still make him the highest paid player on the team.
Ecbucs

Re-thinking Polanco

Post by Ecbucs »

032522373E3225333B500 wrote: The club option is for 12.5 million, not 11 million.

The thing about Polanco that worries me as much as his bat is his arm. You just can't have a good team with a rightfielder giving up extra bases constantly. If he was even close to average throwing and could hit 250 with 25 homers then he is worth his option for next year. especially since at this point he would not be holding back anyone (Oliva? Swaggerty?)
2drfischer@gmail.c

Re-thinking Polanco

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

7A5C5D4A5C4C3F0 wrote: The club option is for 12.5 million, not 11 million.

The thing about Polanco that worries me as much as his bat is his arm.  You just can't have a good team with a rightfielder giving up extra bases constantly.  If he was even close to average throwing and could hit 250 with 25 homers then he is worth his option for next year.  especially since  at this point he would not be holding back anyone (Oliva?  Swaggerty?)

But even if Polanco could hit .250 with 25 HRs for the next two years, it hurts the team three years from now when they’re supposed to become competitive. Time would’ve been taken away from whoever would take his place. The team isn’t going to be very good in 2022-‘23 because there will be young guys learning to play at the big league level. The team would be better off if one of those guys was in RF.