Neal Huntington's greatest success

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

So I was looking over some box scores for former Pirates, and started with the Padres game. Mark Melancon earned his 35th save of the season. Which got me to thinking, of all the drafts/trades/FA acquisitions, what were NH's best? Your top 5 (if you think there are that many). They didn't necessarily have to have all their success with the Pirates, and it isn't just about numbers in some cases. I'll go first.

1. Mark Melancon-Not only did the Pirates get tons of traction from him, first as a lights out set up man, than taking over the role of lights out closer, he rejuvenated/jumpstarted a phenomenal career as the key component of "The Shark Tank". Mark the Shark had some down time in San Francisco battling injuries, but has been All Star caliber in stops at Washington and now San Diego.

2. AJ Burnett- His career finished with a flourish in his new digs after somewhat floundering as a failed "big money free agent". Not only did he give the Pirates some of his best work in his career, he gave the team a winning attitude, and an edge that they weren't going to be pushed around by anyone. "STFD". Needless to say, the Bucs had some swagger.

3. Russell Martin-Finding relief pitchers off the scrap heap and turning them into stars wasn't NH's only forte (and for a while, it seemed he had a magic touch for the pen). Catcher's also became a measure of success after the debacle of 2011 (though who couldn't love Rod "Jelly Roll" Barajas). Martin coupled with Burnett just gave the team a sense of badass. No one will ever forget the most epic moment in PNC Park history to date, the "Cueeeeeeetooooooo" home run on the next pitch after he dropped the ball.

4. Francisco Liriano- With Burnett, Liriano gave the Pirates quite a 1-2 punch. He won two playoff games for the Bucs in 2013. Though his ignominious departure will also be tied to NH as one of his greatest failures, Papa Francisco was a force for the Bucs. His career rejuvenated in The Burgh, and at the very least, Liriano should mail NH a nice Christmas present every year.

5. Gerrit Cole- NH's most successful draft pick, who owns the 7th largest contract in MLB as of today. Cole wasn't necessarily a "slam dunk/shooting fish in a barrel" kind of pick, but it was close. His debut in 2013 was legendary. He won the other playoff game for the Bucs in that rookie season. He's been a major lynch pin for the team he was traded to, the Houston Astros, and the rotation anchor for his current team, the New York Yankees. Though the Pirates did not quite get the same level of pitching his next two teams saw, he was arguably the best starting pitcher of the NH regime.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Those 5 transactions were probably the best for Neal Huntington. Some of his first round draft picks have been busts, such as Craig, Sanchez and even Tucker. There were some later round choices who may become future MLB players. We all know the worst transaction was the Archer trade, but for some reason I continue to think Neal objected to the players the Bucs were moving in this trade, but he was over hidden by possibly Frank Coonely or Bob Nutting.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

531009120114051353600 wrote:

2.  Was funny to see the Huntington fans who bashed Burnett when he signed elsewhere (without a QO) be forced to kiss up to him when he came back.

3.  Although NH did well finding closers his remaining relievers were not statistically impressive.  Martin was another case of a player being bashed on the way out for daring to sign elsewhere for money. 

4.  The Liriano trade proved the FO fans were A-OK with trading their precious prospects if it saved Bob some dough.

*citation needed

I'd certainly add the McCutchen trade for "just another SUSPECT harharhar" Bryan Reynolds, perhaps at #1.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

to 3pirates3--I think I accidentally did something to delete you post when I was responding. I certainly didn't mean to and I'm sorry.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Considering the guys before Clint Hurdle and after, I'd put our getting him as manager over the Mets somewhere in Huntington's Top Ten.
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

Josh Harrison was a very nice pickup.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Does extending players count?
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

526770707B4270707B7C70150 wrote: Does extending players count?
Anything at all
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

5C6E62627644676E6366696E0F0 wrote:

2.  Was funny to see the Huntington fans who bashed Burnett when he signed elsewhere (without a QO) be forced to kiss up to him when he came back.

3.  Although NH did well finding closers his remaining relievers were not statistically impressive.  Martin was another case of a player being bashed on the way out for daring to sign elsewhere for money. 

4.  The Liriano trade proved the FO fans were A-OK with trading their precious prospects if it saved Bob some dough.

*citation needed

I'd certainly add the McCutchen trade for "just another SUSPECT harharhar"  Bryan Reynolds, perhaps at #1. 

It's funny I was debating with myself the same thing but ended leaving out because there is a level of cross decking with this one to me.
shedman

Post by shedman »

2. Was funny to see the Huntington fans who bashed Burnett when he signed elsewhere (without a QO) be forced to kiss up to him when he came back. - Good point.

3. Although NH did well finding closers his remaining relievers were not statistically impressive. Martin was another case of a player being bashed on the way out for daring to sign elsewhere for money. - Good point.

4. The Liriano trade proved the FO fans were A-OK with trading their precious prospects if it saved Bob some dough. - Good point.