Yoshi

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

JollyRoger

Yoshi

Post by JollyRoger »

With the success that Yoshi has had with the Pirates do you think he just played himself out of the Burgh?

There will be some decent interest in him this off-season

What do you think would be a fair offer for him and do you think the Pirates will try to sign him?
ChillinStation

Yoshi

Post by ChillinStation »

Don1t we have first dibs in arbitration ?
Bobster21

Yoshi

Post by Bobster21 »

200B0A0F0F0A0D301702170A0C0D630 wrote: Don1t we have first dibs in arbitration ?
No. He is a free agent.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Yoshi

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

I'm thinking a main consideration is his age. At 29, the Pirates may not be interested in anything long term, unless they know the DH is coming next year. But if he were willing to take a two year deal, then I'd like to see the Pirates make a serious offer. He'd be a nice bridge to when the minor league talent gets here.
fjk090852-7

Yoshi

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Possibly a 2 year contract with a third year option of a total amount of 18 - 20 million. First year 5.5, second year 6.5 option year 7 million.
shedman

Yoshi

Post by shedman »

Have we really got to the point when if a player hits a couple of HR's, we immediately start the discussions about trading him for more LMG's?
WildwoodDave2

Yoshi

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

055345515E44545F524577505A565E5B1954370 wrote: I'm thinking a main consideration is his age.  At 29, the Pirates may not be interested in anything long term, unless they know the DH is coming next year.  But if he were willing to take a two year deal, then I'd like to see the Pirates make a serious offer.  He'd be a nice bridge to when the minor league talent gets here.
I agree, doc. He is really the only real HR hitter the bucs have. Reynolds is having a good year in that regard but I don't look at him has being a power hitter. Every time Yoshi comes up, I am thinking Home Run
mouse

Yoshi

Post by mouse »

My understanding of the contract situation is that following the end of the World Series, the Pirates have an exclusive negotiating period with Yoshi (something like a week or ten days). After that he can negotiate with any team. I don't see anything happening in that time frame. The CBA ends December 1, so unless there is a moment of true harmony, there won't be a new agreement for a time and most teams will want to see what the terms of it are before reaching new deals (obviously they would deal with a true superstar but not someone at Yoshi's level). Likewise, he won't deal until he knows if the NL will have the DH, etc. So I expect things to be at a standstill for a while.
Surgnbuck

Yoshi

Post by Surgnbuck »

05202323361D20282A3D4F0 wrote: With the success that Yoshi has had with the Pirates do you think he just played himself out of the Burgh?

What do you think would be a fair offer for him and do you think the Pirates will try to sign him?
I don't think he's played himself out of Pittsburgh. People do need to step back and take in the whole picture. He had limited success in a much larger sample size. I think all he has done is guaranteed another large contract somewhere. Regardless where he signs it won't be for an amount the Bucs couldn't handle. We just don't know if they even have an interest in him beyond this season. He just might turn out to be nothing more than a stopgap that actually worked out.
Bobster21

Yoshi

Post by Bobster21 »

4A6C6B7E777B6C7A72190 wrote: With the success that Yoshi has had with the Pirates do you think he just played himself out of the Burgh?

I don't think he's  played himself out of Pittsburgh. People do need to step back and take in the whole picture. He had limited success in a much larger sample size. I think all he has done is guaranteed another large contract somewhere. Regardless where he signs it won't  be for an amount the Bucs couldn't  handle. We just don't  know if they even have an interest in him beyond this season. He just might turn out to be nothing more than a stopgap that actually worked out.
I hope they can keep him. He won't get any mega-offers but there will be teams interested. If the Pirates trade Moran (some team might want a platoon 1Bman) they can offer Yoshi a starting job at 1B (but don't trade Moran before Yoshi signs). With his limited sample size of successful hitting, a lot of teams may not want to commit to a starting job for him. They need power and he can probably be had for a lot less than established power hitting FA.