Shane Baz - Game 2 Starter

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

I don't know if Baz being anointed to start Game 2 is more of a recognition of his talent, or an indictment of the Rays starting pitching.

Regardless, too many reminders of how the Archer trade badly hurt the current state of the Pirates.

An outfield of Reynolds, Meadows and most anyone else is far far better than any outfield the Pirates likely will field in the next 3+ years.

A line-up that has both Reynolds and Meadows hitting in the middle, and both having some pop.

A starting rotation that could have Glasgow and Baz as two of its center-pieces could really help the remainder of the staff.

Guess I need to focus more on the recent trades that have gone the Pirates' way and that may help shape the team's future: Reynolds (ascending) for Cutch (declining), Cruz soon to arrive for Watson (now a journeyman), and if we're lucky, perhaps both Contreas and Yajure (longer term) offering the team more than the value it would have gotten out of holding onto Tallion.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

You could take the position that once a guy's gone, they're gone. It worked for me a while.

What ifs can be fun. They can frustrate. Most of the time, they're time wasters. Can't do a thing about them.

Folks in Philadelphia still bitch about the Sonny Jurgenson trade.

So, we're the butt of a few jokes for a while. At least WE have an excuse.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

78545C5B5077405646350 wrote: I don't know if Baz being anointed to start Game 2 is more of a recognition of his talent, or an indictment of the Rays starting pitching.

Regardless, too many reminders of how the Archer trade badly hurt the current state of the Pirates.

An outfield of Reynolds, Meadows and most anyone else is far far better than any outfield the Pirates likely will field in the next 3+ years.

A line-up that has both Reynolds and Meadows hitting in the middle, and both having some pop.

A starting rotation that could have Glasgow and Baz as two of its center-pieces could really help the remainder of the staff.

Guess I need to focus more on the recent trades that have gone the Pirates' way and that may help shape the team's future: Reynolds (ascending) for Cutch (declining), Cruz soon to arrive for Watson (now a journeyman), and if we're lucky, perhaps both Contreas and Yajure (longer term) offering the team more than the value it would have gotten out of holding onto Tallion.
I wonder if that trade will have any effect on Huntington's future job opportunities in MLB. It seems like prospective employers would be saying, "You did WHAT?" But even Dave Littlefield found MLB work after his tenure with the Pirates ended. So I'm sure Huntington will turn up somewhere. But I wouldn't take his advice on a trade.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

715C51404756410102330 wrote: I don't know if Baz being anointed to start Game 2 is more of a recognition of his talent, or an indictment of the Rays starting pitching.

I wonder if that trade will have any effect on Huntington's future job opportunities in MLB. It seems like prospective employers would be saying, "You did WHAT?" But even Dave Littlefield found MLB work after his tenure with the Pirates ended. So I'm sure Huntington will turn up somewhere. But I wouldn't take his advice on a trade.

About the only job, Huntingdon might find is as a pierogi actor, or maybe sweeping the stands after a game, better yet, let him manage the men's restrooms. :D :D :D :D
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Announcer! :)
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

4D786F6F645D6F6F64636F0A0 wrote: Announcer!  :)
And just our luck, he would be trained by Brown, Block and McKenry. McKenry: "Remember Neal, you have to include the word 'Brownie' whenever you speak to Brown. ;)
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Maybe he would be better-suited to be Manager. Do you think he could EXECUTE as manager?
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

7C495E5E556C5E5E55525E3B0 wrote: Maybe he would be better-suited to be Manager.  Do you think he could EXECUTE as manager?

I bet Neal has more than one Magic 8 ball to use.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

The trade gets brought up quite a bit on the national level. But the reality is, it's a good number of years already in the rear view mirror.

So yeah, kinda bites to hear about it. Then hear about it on our fan sites.

So I look at the silver lining: NH actually did seem to finally get the drafting thing down!

I don't think in terms of Meadows and Reynolds together. It's pointless.

All it will take is one good season, and that stuff gets washed to the "lol" bin when it's brought up. Just like how Giants fans are now over the Cutch for Reynolds trade, they weren't too happy about that one.

One division title, and it's now just a footnote to them. Hopefully, we get to see that footnote....soon.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

I was no Huntington fan, and still not.

Even I see his accomplishments. I can't be the only person who remembers those 20 years of consistent floundering that we lived through.

I can't be the only one who remembers what the first of three straight WCG appearances felt like, or that we did it the other two times, too.

The drop was caused by the team's owner. Guys left.

The Bay Trade. The Archer Trade. Written with permanent marker.

So Sandoval's signing up in Boston.

It comes with the job. Unfortunately, the owner comes with our job.