Starting Rotation - 2022

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

MaineBucs

Starting Rotation - 2022

Post by MaineBucs »

Although the calendar is now only turning to December, it appears that next year's options for the starting rotation are starting to take shape and form. The most likely candidates appear to be:

Thompson, yesterday's trade with the Marlins

Quintana, recent free agent signing

Wilson, acquired from Braves at the deadline last year

Brubaker, someone miraculously from the Pirate system

Crowe, acquired from the Nats in the Bell trade

Keller, another player who is from the Pirate system

Peters, acquired from the Angels last year in a minor deal

A few other pitchers also may figure into the rotation.

Kranick, another Pirate draftee

Kuhl, another Pirate draftee (if he survives designation today)

Yagure, obtained from Yankees in the Tallion trade

My guess is that younger pitchers with potential higher upsides like Contreras will not figure in the mix, at least out of the gate.

In looking at this assemblage of mediocrity, the general health of some of the pitchers, the introduction of the DH into the league next year, and overall trends in ML ball (there is no shame in no longer pitching at least 6 innings), it strikes me that the Pirates should strongly consider using a 6 man starting rotation and being willing to periodically use the starters in a relief roll based on schedules, rain-outs, and similar factors.

Obviously a long way to go until a season that may or may not start on time. While the starting rotation is no great shakes, it appears to recognize the constraints (read no money - no pitcher earning more than $3 mil) under which BC is working and the price-tag for good (Scherzer - $43+ mil) or even very mediocre pitching (Wacha - $7 mil) in today's market.
CarolinaBucco

Starting Rotation - 2022

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Once again, a bunch of pitchers, some of whom might, MIGHT, be good enough to be a No. 5 starter on a good team. That's their ceiling. Total mediocrity.

Unless something changes between now and late March, that's a guaranteed recipe for a 55-107 type season.

Ecbucs

Starting Rotation - 2022

Post by Ecbucs »

577B73747F586F79691A0 wrote: Although the calendar is now only turning to December, it appears that next year's options for the starting rotation are starting to take shape and form.  The most likely candidates appear to be:

Thompson, yesterday's trade with the Marlins

Quintana, recent free agent signing

Wilson, acquired from Braves at the deadline last year

Brubaker, someone miraculously from the Pirate system

Crowe, acquired from the Nats in the Bell trade

Keller, another player who is from the Pirate system

Peters, acquired from the Angels last year in a minor deal

A few other pitchers also may figure into the rotation.

Kranick, another Pirate draftee

Kuhl, another Pirate draftee (if he survives designation today)

Yagure, obtained from Yankees in the Tallion trade

My guess is that younger pitchers with potential higher upsides like Contreras will not figure in the mix, at least out of the gate.

In looking at this assemblage of mediocrity, the general health of some of the pitchers, the introduction of the DH into the league next year, and overall trends in ML ball (there is no shame in no longer pitching at least 6 innings), it strikes me that the Pirates should strongly consider using a 6 man starting rotation and being willing to periodically use the starters in a relief roll based on schedules, rain-outs, and similar factors. 

Obviously a long way to go until a season that may or may not start on time.  While the starting rotation is no great shakes, it appears to recognize the constraints (read no money - no pitcher earning more than $3 mil) under which BC is working and the price-tag for good (Scherzer - $43+ mil) or even very mediocre pitching (Wacha - $7 mil) in today's market.

I wonder if they will even try to have much of a rotation. I can see a lot of pitchers getting starts. These guys are so unpredictable that I wonder how many of them could string together two or more good starts several times in a season?