Bucs hire former TB director of pitching development.

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Dewey Robinson will serve as Pirates special advisor for pitching development, coaching and player development.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/pir ... 2112210091

Here's a portion of the article:

Robinson, 66, had been with the Rays for the past 12 years and was most recently working as their director of pitching development. The well-regarded pitching instructor stepped down after the 2021 season — his 41st in professional baseball.

The hire is significant for obvious reasons: The Rays are extremely good — arguably the best in Major League Baseball — at developing young pitchers, an area where the Pirates have recently made a push to get better under general manager Ben Cherington.

Before Tampa, Robinson worked for the Astros from 1997-2009, serving as their major league pitching coach his final two years there. He also spent 10 years coaching with the White Sox, at one point serving as their bullpen coach and also as Chicago’s minor league pitching coordinator.

Although Robinson pitched for the White Sox, going 2-2 with a 4.05 ERA in 30 games from 1979-81, he’s most known for his work in the coaching realm and his ability to help young pitchers grow.

After the Pirates’ much-chronicled failures to bring out the best in young pitchers, the hire of Robinson — likely tied to manager Derek Shelton’s Rays tenure — is absolutely a win for the rebuilding organization.

The Rays have long been at the forefront of baseball’s analytics push, often using that knowledge to develop pitchers better — and at a greater volume — than other clubs.

Considering how the Pirates rely so much on developing tbeir own pitchers and how dismally they have failed at doing so, this looks like a good hire.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I agree this seems like a very good hire by the Pirates. I know there are many who have doubts about Pirates, but I believe they are on track to seriously compete for the postseason in 2023. This year will be interesting because some of the future will make their way to PNC Park.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

I've thought for a long time that the Pirates would do well to try to hire away from the Rays some of their developmental people. That organization isn't successful because they have lots of money. They're good because they raise good baseball players.
SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

This is the best Pirates news of this off-season, though admittedly there isn't much competition!
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Someone commented when BC was first hired that good baseball people often times followed him. This appears to be true with this recent hire, as well as John Baker, and Steve Sanders just to name a few.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

565A5B0009000805021D07300 wrote: Someone commented when BC was first hired that good baseball people often times followed him. This appears to be true with this recent hire, as well as John Baker, and Steve Sanders just to name a few.
Time will tell. It definitely is a promising sign
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

005640545B41515A574072555F535B5E1C51320 wrote: I've thought for a long time that the Pirates would do well to try to hire away from the Rays some of their developmental people.  That organization isn't successful because they have lots of money.  They're good because they raise good baseball players.

Or, acquire them.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Jason Mackey of the Post Gazette did an article about Robinson, and he sure seems excited about joining the Pirates. He supposedly had other opportunities, but upon his meeting with John Baker he decided he wanted to join the Pirates staff. Maybe I am a dreamer, but I think good times are ahead for the Pirates.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

4B47461D141D15181F001A2D0 wrote: Jason Mackey of the Post Gazette did an article about Robinson, and he sure seems excited about joining the Pirates. He supposedly had other opportunities, but upon his meeting with John Baker he decided he wanted to join the Pirates staff. Maybe I am a dreamer, but I think good times are ahead for the Pirates.

unfortunately, I didn't see this article. Will Robinson be based in Bradenton?
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

624445524454270 wrote: Jason Mackey of the Post Gazette did an article about Robinson, and he sure seems excited about joining the Pirates. He supposedly had other opportunities, but upon his meeting with John Baker he decided he wanted to join the Pirates staff. Maybe I am a dreamer, but I think good times are ahead for the Pirates.

unfortunately, I didn't see this article.  Will Robinson be based in Bradenton?
Appears he will work throughout the organization, but he may spend a lot of his time with the AAA pitchers. I wonder if he can help Mitch Keller become the pitcher the Pirates projected while in the Minors. That would be a bonus!