Bucs Need To Acquire a Fourth Oiutfielder

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I think the Pirates need to sign or acquire a fourth outfielder. The free agent group of outfielders is becoming less each day. A player such as Tommy Pham, or Kevin Pillar who are still out as free agents may fill the need. I just feel they need another veteran outfielder as the fourth outfielder in order to play a few times during the week to rest Ben Gamel, or whomever is playing rightfield.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

I have to disagree. I don't know why resting Gamel would be a priority, although Shelton seems to prioritize rest over all else. :(

Making a move to acquire a 4th OFer would be a good move if the Pirates were a competitive team. But they aren't. What they are is a team with a lot of prospects knocking at the door to get their feet wet at the MLB level. So right now they have 2 OF locks--Reynolds and Gamel--and a host pf players vying to be the 3rd or 4th OFer: Alford, Allen, Oliva, Tucker, Marcano, Frazier, Mitchell, Suwinski. It's a lot of players to look at and bringing in a veteran to be the 4th OFer and block those guys won't make enough of a difference on the 2022 team to justify blocking someone else with a future with the team.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

745954454253440407360 wrote: I have to disagree. I don't know why resting Gamel would be a priority, although Shelton seems to prioritize rest over all else. :(

Making a move to acquire a 4th OFer would be a good move if the Pirates were a competitive team. But they aren't. What they are is a team with a lot of prospects knocking at the door to get their feet wet at the MLB level. So right now they have 2 OF locks--Reynolds and Gamel--and a host pf players vying to be the 3rd or 4th OFer: Alford, Allen, Oliva, Tucker, Marcano, Frazier, Mitchell, Suwinski. It's a lot of players to look at and bringing in a veteran to be the 4th OFer and block those guys won't make enough of a difference on the 2022 team to justify blocking someone else with a future with the team.
You make a valid point regarding the young players you listed. Personally I am not a big fan of either Oliva, or Alford. If Tucker has found his hitting stroke, he and Allen could be good candidates to platoon in rightfield. The other 4 players you listed are all candidates to arrive in mid season, but I just think they need some playing time at AAA. In case of an injury, I just feel they need a veteran as depth. I understand with the DH you don’t need the pinch hitters as much, but I think a veteran player on the bench would be beneficial.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

I agree I think they have enough young guys in their system to just go with somebody from within and not go out and sign a veteran which isn’t going to make a difference at all. Personally, I want the Pirates to start fast tracking more of these guys to the Majors within the next year or so. The only way I think a lot of these guys will get good in the Majors is by playing in the Majors. If a lot of these guys are top tier prospects the Pirates need to start playing them like top tier prospects. I wanna see Henry Davis in the Majors next season not in 2024 if he is a top overall pick type of talent he should be up here next season sometime period. I don’t know how Cherrington will treat these top tier prospects compared to how Huntington did but I am just tired of seeing guys taking 3-4-5 years developing these players. Get them up here and get them playing period. Players such as Cruz, Gonzales, Puguero, Priester, Contreras, Mlodzinski and other guys like Fraizer, Bae, Swaggerty, Mason Martin just to name a few others should all be up here sometime later this season or to start next season period. If a lot of these guys are top prospects like many of them are then it’s time to start treating them like top talent.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

A club should never pass the opportunity to improve its roster.   Given that we operate the way that's chosen, I don't think that going externally for another outfielder will be done.

I'd be apprehensive of an experienced player who'd be willing to play for the Pirates this year, anyway.  It could be an opportunity for someone who's blocked, but they can go elsewhere if they're patient.

We'd have to be willing to part with one or more of our future HOFers who begin their careers with the Pirates to get a decent player.  With the current roster, I agree that this wouldn't be prudent for the Pirates.

If we improve at any position, I would rather it be on pitching, anyway.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

427760606B5260606B6C60050 wrote: A club should never pass the opportunity to improve its roster.   Given that we operate the way that's chosen, I don't think that going externally for another outfielder will be done.

I'd be apprehensive of an experienced player who'd be willing to play for the Pirates this year, anyway.  It could be an opportunity for someone who's blocked, but they can go elsewhere if they're patient.

We'd have to be willing to part with one or more of our future HOFers who begin their careers with the Pirates to get a decent player.  With the current roster, I agree that this wouldn't be prudent for the Pirates.

If we improve at any position, [highlight]I would rather it be on pitching,[/highlight] anyway.

Johnny Cueto is still out there you know! ;) ;)
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

You dog. God's gonna write that down. :)
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

477265656E5765656E6965000 wrote: You dog.  God's gonna write that down.  :)

:D :D :D :D
ChillinStation

Post by ChillinStation »

I would sign Cueto in a heartbeat.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

I was taking into account who runs the show. Heck, I'd take the next door neighbor over anything we have at this point.