Official Game Thread - 9/15 - Bucs vs Yanks

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Doc

Re: Official Game Thread - 9/15 - Bucs vs Yanks

Post by Doc »

Bobster wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 1:46 am Greg Brown says the Pirates are getting more comfortable with Peguero at SS and Bae at 2B. Maybe if they weren't changing positions every other day they'd be less likely to make errors.
If the Pirates management is comfortable with Bae at second, we have more problems than I imagined. They can't possibly be thinking he's in the mix to be the regular there. He has at least three, if not four, guys ahead of him who offer much more both defensively and offensively. I like him but he's a classic 25th or 26th man on a roster.
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

Surgnbuck wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 3:29 am Finally home from probably the most gut wrenching loss of the season. Some thoughts:

Why wasn't Henry Davis pinch hitting for Palacios in the bottom of the 7th? You move Connor Joe to RF for the 8th, as Rivas came in to play first (more on him later).

So you bring in a "defensive guy" for first base. Why on earth then, aren't you bringing in: A. Williams to play short, and moving Peguero over to second, or B: Williams to play short, and Triolo come in to play second, or C: Peguero stays at short, and Triolo comes in to play second.

I don't care how bad that throw was from Bae, Rivas has to make that play. WTF is he on the team for, if he can't make that catch?

That was as routine a double play as there ever was. High schoolers turn that with ease.

Two innings the Yankees scored when guys hitting worse than most pitchers, both draw walks that were crucial. That just can't happen.

Once again, the Pirates get the absolute least amount from a bases loaded, no out situation.

Shelton once again mismanages the team. I mentioned yesterday how surprised the entire stadium was when Bednar came in to close out the game, after throwing 30 pitches the night before. I disagree about leaving Keller in, but had he done it, I would have been okay with it.

About the only good thing about this game was the Yankee fans weren't in any kind of taunting mode, because they knew they got a gift.

They got to see first hand the absolute worst manager in baseball at his absolute, quintessential stupidity.
So Surg, it appears you are not a fan of Shelton :lol:
JollyRoger8

Post by JollyRoger8 »

Doc wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:10 am
Bobster wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 1:46 am Greg Brown says the Pirates are getting more comfortable with Peguero at SS and Bae at 2B. Maybe if they weren't changing positions every other day they'd be less likely to make errors.
If the Pirates management is comfortable with Bae at second, we have more problems than I imagined. They can't possibly be thinking he's in the mix to be the regular there. He has at least three, if not four, guys ahead of him who offer much more both defensively and offensively. I like him but he's a classic 25th or 26th man on a roster.
That’s a bit harsh on Bae. He played the DP the only possible way ou could. The runner came in standing up in his face just like the Pirates teach their runners. Instead of throwing the ball over the runners head and most likely over Rivas’s head, Bae made a good decision and threw a one hopper to Rivas. Unfortunately the ball came up a bit on Rivas and he couldn’t handle it. I believe he should have had it.
Bae may be better suited to CF but he has also made some great plays at 2B. I think Gonzalez or Peguero will most likely be our 2B going forward, but Bae is more than a 26 man. He has game changing speed and you can’t teach speed!
JollyRoger8

Post by JollyRoger8 »

Here is an easy decision this off season.
Drop Hatch from the roster
He adds nothing
Doc

Post by Doc »

JollyRoger8 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 12:41 am
Doc wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:10 am
That’s a bit harsh on Bae. He played the DP the only possible way ou could. The runner came in standing up in his face just like the Pirates teach their runners. Instead of throwing the ball over the runners head and most likely over Rivas’s head, Bae made a good decision and threw a one hopper to Rivas. Unfortunately the ball came up a bit on Rivas and he couldn’t handle it. I believe he should have had it.
Bae may be better suited to CF but he has also made some great plays at 2B. I think Gonzalez or Peguero will most likely be our 2B going forward, but Bae is more than a 26 man. He has game changing speed and you can’t teach speed!
Bae’s a major league player whose played a lot of second base. That was a turn and throw that wasn’t at all difficult. The runner ran on the outside of the base giving Bae a clear throw. Runners are not permitted to stand up and run into the fielder so there was no reason for Bae to feel pressure knowing the runner can’t make contact with him. I don’t think that it’s harsh to expect a professional 2Bman, under those circumstances, to successfully complete that play.