Official Game Thread - 9/15 - Bucs vs Yanks

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Doc

Re: Official Game Thread - 9/15 - Bucs vs Yanks

Post by Doc »

Just saw the replay of Bae’s error and I can’t help think had Gonzales been here like he’s supposed to be, the game would be over with a Pirates 5-4 win.
JollyRoger8

Post by JollyRoger8 »

I think next year Shelton needs to switch out Holderman and Mojo. Mojo in the 8th Holderman in the 7th
Doc

Post by Doc »

The departed Clay Holmes into pitch. Hayes grounds out to start the 9th.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Suwinski down on strikes. Two down.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Doc wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 1:48 am Just saw the replay of Bae’s error and I can’t help think had Gonzales been here like he’s supposed to be, the game would be over with a Pirates 5-4 win.
Another thought is that Mlodzinski has been pitching great but was only allowed to pitch the 8th. I guess there are rules about who is and isn't allowed to have a save opportunity. The save stat dictates how a BP is used.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
JollyRoger8

Post by JollyRoger8 »

I’m not blaming Bae for that throw. Runner came in standing up and Bae intentionally threw a one hopper to first. Unfortunately the ball took a bad hop and came up on Rivas
Doc

Post by Doc »

Rivas ends it with a ground out.

Holderman deserves a lot of criticism but he got what he needed, the easy double play ball, at just the right time, but Bae couldn’t make the simple throw. Bad, bad loss tonight.
Doc

Post by Doc »

JollyRoger8 wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 1:54 am I’m not blaming Bae for that throw. Runner came in standing up and Bae intentionally threw a one hopper to first. Unfortunately the ball took a bad hop and came up on Rivas
I just looked at the play again and Florial ran past him on the outside of the bag. I’m not certain if he interfered. If he did, the Pirates bench should’ve challenged the play. They didn’t bother so I’m guessing there was no interference.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Finally home from probably the most gut wrenching loss of the season. Some thoughts:

Why wasn't Henry Davis pinch hitting for Palacios in the bottom of the 7th? You move Connor Joe to RF for the 8th, as Rivas came in to play first (more on him later).

So you bring in a "defensive guy" for first base. Why on earth then, aren't you bringing in: A. Williams to play short, and moving Peguero over to second, or B: Williams to play short, and Triolo come in to play second, or C: Peguero stays at short, and Triolo comes in to play second.

I don't care how bad that throw was from Bae, Rivas has to make that play. WTF is he on the team for, if he can't make that catch?

That was as routine a double play as there ever was. High schoolers turn that with ease.

Two innings the Yankees scored when guys hitting worse than most pitchers, both draw walks that were crucial. That just can't happen.

Once again, the Pirates get the absolute least amount from a bases loaded, no out situation.

Shelton once again mismanages the team. I mentioned yesterday how surprised the entire stadium was when Bednar came in to close out the game, after throwing 30 pitches the night before. I disagree about leaving Keller in, but had he done it, I would have been okay with it.

About the only good thing about this game was the Yankee fans weren't in any kind of taunting mode, because they knew they got a gift.

They got to see first hand the absolute worst manager in baseball at his absolute, quintessential stupidity.
bucs607179

Post by bucs607179 »

Yikes, that hurts. If I attended that game it would have taken a few days to get over.